For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
$20 + $25 for the Same Training (different names and descriptions though)
Thread poster: Liliana Marquesini
Liliana Marquesini
Liliana Marquesini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Sep 18, 2013

Hi

I was “extremely satisfied” with the training “Urgencias Médicas, traductor de guardia” given by Luciana Ramos. So much so, that I decided to follow up with her next training on the subject of Medical Translations. The second training was ”Prevent the unexpected when translating medical content – Get prepared for them!”. Well, I wasn´t expecting to get disappointed
... See more
Hi

I was “extremely satisfied” with the training “Urgencias Médicas, traductor de guardia” given by Luciana Ramos. So much so, that I decided to follow up with her next training on the subject of Medical Translations. The second training was ”Prevent the unexpected when translating medical content – Get prepared for them!”. Well, I wasn´t expecting to get disappointed but I did, and twice!

Firstly, those of you who are in the “London, summer time” area be aware that the time conversion tool doesn´t work for this particular location, meaning that even if you turn up at the right time, you will miss the webinar anyway. I have spent a week trying to make somebody understand that I was ready at the “right” time according to the tool, but nevertheless, instead of participating of the webinar, I was invited to give feedback because the training had just finished. So, it wasn´t until today, a week after the original training date, that I decided to forget how annoyed I am about this and conform myself by accessing the video of the presentation on-demand instead.

Well, here it comes the second disappointment! If you read all the information regarding both trainings, you will find no evidence of the fact that THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME PRESENTATION, WITH THE SAME SLIDES, only with the titles in Spanish (“Urgencias Médicas, traductor de guardia”) or in English (”Prevent the unexpected when translating medical content – Get prepared for them!”). Check them on the on-demand database by yourself!

Basically, I paid $20 for the first training in May 2013, and $25 for the SAME training in Sept 2013.

I would love to hear from somebody explaining me this, please.

[Edited at 2013-09-18 11:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-18 11:37 GMT]
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your feedback Sep 18, 2013

Dear Liliana,

Thanks for your feedback!

Please note that all training times are listed in GMT http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
GMT is an absolute time reference & doesn't change with the seasons. London Time is the same as Greenwich Mean Time less than half of the year. During Summer Time (Daylight Saving Time), London Time is GMT+1, also known as British Summer Time (B
... See more
Dear Liliana,

Thanks for your feedback!

Please note that all training times are listed in GMT http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
GMT is an absolute time reference & doesn't change with the seasons. London Time is the same as Greenwich Mean Time less than half of the year. During Summer Time (Daylight Saving Time), London Time is GMT+1, also known as British Summer Time (BST). Time and date of the training is informed in the first line of the training page in GMT time and/or in your local time, provided you have set GMT offset in your ProZ.com profile. Please, watch this video to learn how to do that: http://www.proz.com/faq/3487#3487 or how to use www.timeandate.com to convert training time to your timezone.

Trainers may offer new editions of their courses in the same language or another language from their working pairs. Based on community feedback and experience from previous sessions, the content or the way in which sessions are presented may vary from session to session, sometimes significantly. From your feedback, I believe it will be a good addition to also include a note when sessions are a new edition of content offered previously, in the same or other language.

Also note that participation fee varies from course to course. In some training sessions a price increase based on the number of registrants may also apply, i.e. the first 15 registered pay one price, the next 10 pay a a slightly higher price etc. ( http://www.proz.com/faq/154430#154430 )

I will be contacting you privately in some minutes in relation to a refund for the second course.

Best regards,

Soledad
Collapse

Liliana Marquesini
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
$20 + $25 for the Same Training (different names and descriptions though) Sep 18, 2013

Dear Soledad,

I am very aware about how to use a time converter. I have done it several times without any problem. This particular training was meant to start at GMT 16:00, GMT+1 17:00. As you well explained, being within the London area (BST=GMT+1) I was ready to attend the webinar at 17:00, my local time. But the webinar had just finished, and I was only allowed to leave feedback, not to participate. I have many witnesses that I was at 17:00 desperate to get access, unsuccessfull
... See more
Dear Soledad,

I am very aware about how to use a time converter. I have done it several times without any problem. This particular training was meant to start at GMT 16:00, GMT+1 17:00. As you well explained, being within the London area (BST=GMT+1) I was ready to attend the webinar at 17:00, my local time. But the webinar had just finished, and I was only allowed to leave feedback, not to participate. I have many witnesses that I was at 17:00 desperate to get access, unsuccessfully. I have spent a week exchanging emails with Helena, but we are not any closer to solve the problem, and I gave up. Apparently, next time I register for a webinar, if I feel brave, I will have to secure a time slot +/- 1-2 hour just in case the time conversion doesn't fit my local time again...

Regarding the course, the fact that it was exactly the same content and same slides, but completely different names and descriptions, requires something stronger than "believe it will be a good addition to also include a note when sessions are a new edition of content offered previously, in the same or other language". I can perfectly understand that same sessions in different languages makes perfect sense, but advertising them as completely different is definitely "not right", to say it softly. I checked and there are many participants of both sessions that apparently didn't notice that they were given exactly the same material and expressed to be satisfied. It makes you wonder...

Thanks for your offer of a refund. I have seen in my walet the "intention" of a refund, but the amount involved is $0.00. I guess that means that the refund didn't go ahead??

Believe me, I am not a difficult person, just like things to be right.

Thanks very much for your time.
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:12
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with Liliana Sep 19, 2013

If the same training course is offered in two languages, it should be clearly stated on both that this is the X language version of the course given in X language with the title X. There are no two ways about it. It's not difficult to do. Not doing so initially is at best a schoolboy error. Not doing so once the point has been highlighted would border on false advertising. It is, after all, highly likely that members of Proz will understand more than one language and will therefore be potential ... See more
If the same training course is offered in two languages, it should be clearly stated on both that this is the X language version of the course given in X language with the title X. There are no two ways about it. It's not difficult to do. Not doing so initially is at best a schoolboy error. Not doing so once the point has been highlighted would border on false advertising. It is, after all, highly likely that members of Proz will understand more than one language and will therefore be potential clients of courses in different languages.

If it were my business, I'd give Liliana a full refund for the second course and start putting notes on courses offered in two languages to prevent this from happening again.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Compensation Sep 19, 2013

From the sound of it, some sort of compensatory offer of restitution might be in order. Perhaps a voucher for a free training session? I'm sure the proz coffers could withstand the loss.

Helen Shepelenko
Helen Shepelenko
SITE STAFF
The refund has been issued Sep 19, 2013

Dear Liliana,

As far as I see, the refund has been successfully issued and you should have 25 USD credited to your credit card account. Could you please check and confirm this. Thank you.

You may wish to re-open the support request and report further details.

Thank you.

My bests,
Helen

Liliana Marquesini
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Waiting for a reply on duplicated courses advertisement. Sep 19, 2013

Thanks Helen. I have been busy dealing with emails regarding successful/unsuccessful refunds/credits, and even halt membership (?). Thanks for your help on these.

However, nobody from proz has contacted me regarding the main point here: is something going to be changed about the way these duplicated courses are advertised? As Marie-Helen explained, Soledad's suggestion is just not enough...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

$20 + $25 for the Same Training (different names and descriptions though)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »