Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting rounds will start next week
Thread poster: RominaZ

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2008

Dear contestants,

Thanks to all so far for your participation, which has exceeded expectations.

Qualification and voting rounds were planned to start today. Unfortunately, setting up the system to pass on to the voting rounds is taking longer than expected. Therefore, it has been decided that the voting rounds in language pairs with more than 3 entries will start next week.

Pairs with only 1 or 2 entries are still accepting entries.


I'd like to take this opportunity to also clarify one point about the prizes - the draw will be held using the profile numbers of the contest winners so that all contest winners have equal chances, independent of whether they have entered alone or with a partner.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope to see even more of you in the contest!

Best regards,

Romina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:14
Member
English to Portuguese
+ ...

MODERATOR
Can we rate the entries now? Nov 27, 2008

Hi Romina!

I was checking the Contest page and I noticed that some pairs are already open for rating. Is this function working properly or we still have to wait for an official communication informing us that we can already rate/ vote.

ThankZ for your attention.
Fernanda


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 23:14
Which language pairs can I vote? Nov 27, 2008

Hi Romina,

My native language is Chinese. I have just found out that I can vote Chinese to English translation, but am excluded from voting Chinese to German translation.

Why? Both German and English are my working languages. Either I can vote both pairs, or neither of them.

Bin


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxyanadeni  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:14
French to Russian
+ ...
tech.problems Nov 27, 2008

1. Tagging doesn't work for phrases with quotation marks.

2. It's impossible to tag a word if it's already included in another tag.

3. In the ES-RU pair "View all tags" doesn't work in "All entries" view.




Is it possible to show the entries randomly? In the pairs with a lot of entries (EN-ES, EN-RU, etc) the first entries get the most of tags. It's not fair. No one has enough patience to read, tag and evaluate all 30-60 entries.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:14
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, it is possible to vote Nov 27, 2008

Fernanda Rocha wrote:
I was checking the Contest page and I noticed that some pairs are already open for rating. Is this function working properly or we still have to wait for an official communication informing us that we can already rate/ vote.

Hi Fernanda,

Yes, voting is now possible.

Bin, YaniQC, thanks for the feedback. I'll ask Romina and Mariano to look into the issues, if they have not already.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:14
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Evaluating 35 entries Nov 27, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

Is it possible to show the entries randomly? In the pairs with a lot of entries (EN-ES, EN-RU, etc) the first entries get the most of tags. It's not fair. No one has enough patience to read, tag and evaluate all 30-60 entries.


I agree, and suggest the following for future contests: Is there some way that we can print out the entries? After I sit at the computer reading and marking all these things, I feel like a pretzel. So much better if I could read them on hard copy and then enter whatever notations into the file.
Thanks,
Susan


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moreover Nov 27, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
So much better if I could read them on hard copy and then enter whatever notations into the file.


Why the entries are limited in small boxes even when we look them in "View each entry side by side with source text" mode?

[Edited at 2008-11-27 18:14 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:14
SITE FOUNDER
Entries are shown in random order already Nov 27, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
YaniQC wrote:
Is it possible to show the entries randomly?

I agree

Already, each person sees the entries in a different order. See the FAQ: http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contests_disq_disq

This question comes up a lot, though, so I will ask Romina and Mariano to add a note on the page.
... and suggest the following for future contests: Is there some way that we can print out the entries? After I sit at the computer reading and marking all these things, I feel like a pretzel. So much better if I could read them on hard copy and then enter whatever notations into the file.

Thanks for the suggestion, Susan.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:14
Member
English to Portuguese
+ ...

MODERATOR
:) Nov 27, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Hi Fernanda,

Yes, voting is now possible.



Thanks for your reply, Henry!


I have noticed the same tech. problems YaniQC mentioned.

And I second all the suggestions made in this thread.

CheerZ!
Fernanda


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who can vote in qualification and final rounds Nov 27, 2008

Hi Bin,

Bin Tiede wrote:

Hi Romina,

My native language is Chinese. I have just found out that I can vote Chinese to English translation, but am excluded from voting Chinese to German translation.

Why? Both German and English are my working languages. Either I can vote both pairs, or neither of them.

Bin


# Language pairs with more than 7 entries are in the qualification round voting as the number of entries is not manageable for a final voting round.

# Language pairs with 3-7 entries are in the final round voting.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests_voting_process

Qualification round voting is open to translators that work in the same language pair they wish to vote whereas final voting is open to translators that work in the same pair and are native in the language of the target text.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests.8


In the cases you mentioned Chinese to English is in qualification round (as it received 17 entries) but Chinese to German is in Final voting round (i.e. only those that work in the pair and are native in German can vote in that pair).


Romina


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Caroline Mackay-Sim  Identity Verified

Local time: 13:14
English to French
+ ...
Unable to tag Nov 28, 2008

[quote]YaniQC wrote:

1. Tagging doesn't work for phrases with quotation marks.

2. It's impossible to tag a word if it's already included in another tag.

The system is generally very impressive but there is a tagging problem. Not only does tagging not work for some phrases but the tagging window freezes and it is impossible to submit or cancel, so that the proz page must be refreshed. It is very frustrating and it also means that some entries will just not get tagged. Any solution?


[Edited at 2008-11-28 02:41 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
War of Dislikes Nov 28, 2008

In English to Russian pair, there is a big war of dislikes.
And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

So, one should ask: Why contestants need rights for voting?
Of course for any contestant his/her entry would be the best of the best.

This makes the process much more difficult I think.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christian Schneider  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:14
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Strategical balancing Nov 28, 2008

I also think contestants should not be able to vote in a pair they have submitted an entry themselves. It leaves too much space for manipulation. Like Ali ponted out, 'strategical balancing' seems possible.

On the other hand, maybe we take it all too serious.

Cheers,
Chris

[Edited at 2008-11-28 15:14 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 23:14
Thank you, Romina, it is clear now! Nov 28, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

# Language pairs with more than 7 entries are in the qualification round voting as the number of entries is not manageable for a final voting round.

# Language pairs with 3-7 entries are in the final round voting.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests_voting_process

Qualification round voting is open to translators that work in the same language pair they wish to vote whereas final voting is open to translators that work in the same pair and are native in the language of the target text.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests.8


In the cases you mentioned Chinese to English is in qualification round (as it received 17 entries) but Chinese to German is in Final voting round (i.e. only those that work in the pair and are native in German can vote in that pair).


Romina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:14
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Holy war of dislikes Nov 28, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

In English to Russian pair, there is a big war of dislikes.
And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

So, one should ask: Why contestants need rights for voting?
Of course for any contestant his/her entry would be the best of the best.

This makes the process much more difficult I think.



Actually, it's not bad if people point out mistakes in translation, be it contestants or readers.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting rounds will start next week

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search