Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting rounds will start next week
Thread poster: RominaZ
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:13
SITE FOUNDER
The data suggests the situation is not quite as you imagine it, M. Ali Nov 28, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

In English to Russian pair, there is a big war of dislikes.

Dislikes are more common than likes in all pairs.
... And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

What makes you think that? In a review of ratings in the pair (not tagging, but the actual votes), I see no such pattern. Only one participant has voted (rated) and the ratings made by that participant were largely positive.
Of course for any contestant his/her entry would be the best of the best.

The voting pattern does not suggest that the situation is that extreme. Many participants refrain from voting, but among those that do vote, the votes are mixed, some positive, some negative.

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
solution Nov 28, 2008

Caroline Mackay-Sim wrote:
The system is generally very impressive but there is a tagging problem. Not only does tagging not work for some phrases but the tagging window freezes and it is impossible to submit or cancel, so that the proz page must be refreshed. It is very frustrating and it also means that some entries will just not get tagged. Any solution?

[Edited at 2008-11-28 02:41 GMT]
It may happen because on the tags side another window opens asking you to choose the word you mean, when the word you selected is present more than once in the text.

yanadeni (X)
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
. Nov 28, 2008

Christian Schneider wrote:

I also think contestants should not be able to vote in a pair they have submitted an entry themselves. It leaves too much space for manipulation. Like Ali ponted out, 'strategical balancing' seems possible.

On the other hand, maybe we take it all too serious.

Cheers,
Chris

[Edited at 2008-11-28 15:14 GMT]
If the participants are not allowed to tag or to vote, there won't be many people voting.

yanadeni (X)
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
why do you think so? Nov 28, 2008

When I see other translations and I realize my mistakes, what can make me think my entry is the best? I bet it'll be in the second dozen.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
From Previous Contests Nov 28, 2008

Henry D wrote:
What makes you think that? In a review of ratings in the pair (not tagging, but the actual votes), I see no such pattern. Only one participant has voted (rated) and the ratings made by that participant were largely positive.

Why I have thought in such way:

Because I have studied the 7th ProZ.com Contest.

In 7th ProZ.com contest total points in the pair English to Russian made: 114 (if I would take a rough median this means 114/4 (the best point 4-second point 2-third point 1) at least 28 persons took place in voting phase. (this rate is very low)

But now, in the said pair all tags (likes, dislikes, agrees and disagrees) amount to 1000. (Let alone the fact that, qualification round opened just two days ago). What made people within 3 months (since the previous contest) to vote in such huge amounts?

Also one more thing: the source text is 347 words. I assume, the target word count would be the same. If we multiply it by 35 (entries) that amounts to 12145 words. I can't believe that a person would proof such amount of text just for voting. But, if he or she participated in it of course would compare them with own entry.

And also: providers of the dislikes and likes know where to look for finding the difficulties and possible mistakes. I have looked at the same points too, because I faced with difficulties when translated them. Then how a basic voter can know those places if he/she did not translate the text, did not faced with those difficulties ( I mean working on the text but not reading)?

So basing on and believing the above mentioned facts I came into such opinion.

But I am not insisting on it.

Anyway, huge inflation in voters' interests (especially with negative comments) confused me.

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
quality of writing Nov 28, 2008

Hi,

Here are my thoughts...

One of the rules is:

Those that are native speakers of the target language but do not work in this pair will be able to judge "Quality of writing". The entries that advance to the finals will be the 3-7 with the highest average ratings.

How would this affect the total points?

I'm a Spanish native speaker, and according to this, it seems I could read and rate all translations into Spanish (please correc
... See more
Hi,

Here are my thoughts...

One of the rules is:

Those that are native speakers of the target language but do not work in this pair will be able to judge "Quality of writing". The entries that advance to the finals will be the 3-7 with the highest average ratings.

How would this affect the total points?

I'm a Spanish native speaker, and according to this, it seems I could read and rate all translations into Spanish (please correct me if I'm mistaken), for example, German into Spanish, though I don't speak a word of German. I can think a Spanish version flows very well and rate it accordingly, but as I don't speak German, it may be completely inaccurate and I wouldn't know... Of course, I would never dream of voting in this par or any other I'm not familiar with both languages, but why should this be accepted?

Thanks!

Elizabeth
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What is the point? Nov 28, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

When I see other translations and I realize my mistakes, what can make me think my entry is the best? I bet it'll be in the second dozen.

If you do not believe that you are able to do best of the best then what is the point entering in the contest?

yanadeni (X)
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
why not? Nov 28, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

If you do not believe that you are able to do best of the best then what is the point entering in the contest?
When we've finished our own translation we always think we've done our best. But when time comes for others to evaluate us and for us to read others' comments, we see our blunders and we think 'Oh my God! How could I have missed it?!"
Anyway, on the last context I took a prize-winning place, so why shouldn't I try to be the best this time?

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Maybe that's not so important Nov 28, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

Dear Ali,

IMHO the tags do not matter much.

Contest Rules say that "Adding tags will not change the outcome of voting; the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants."

[Edited at 2008-11-28 22:51 GMT]

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
some kind of bug? Nov 30, 2008

I have discovered that;

If I will add a language pair into my language pairs, I can rate and even add tags in related pairs.

That means, in order to rate in the related pair I can just add it into my languages.

In GBK (Glossary Building KudoZ) there is a restriction, if you made changes in your fields this changes only be effective after 3 days in order to meet criteria for answering the questions.

What is this? Is GBK more important than this
... See more
I have discovered that;

If I will add a language pair into my language pairs, I can rate and even add tags in related pairs.

That means, in order to rate in the related pair I can just add it into my languages.

In GBK (Glossary Building KudoZ) there is a restriction, if you made changes in your fields this changes only be effective after 3 days in order to meet criteria for answering the questions.

What is this? Is GBK more important than this contest?
And why there is not any restrictions in voting (changes related to the language updates)?

Isn't it a some kind of bug?

[Edited at 2008-11-30 11:32 GMT]
Collapse

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging does not affect the outcome of voting. Nov 30, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

Dear Ali,

IMHO the tags do not matter much.

Contest Rules say that "Adding tags will not change the outcome of voting; the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants."

[Edited at 2008-11-28 22:51 GMT]

Winners are defined according to the net ratings their entries receive (i.e. 1-5 points awarded by clicking on the stars.)

Romina

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
The pairs that still accepting entries... Nov 30, 2008

I think this brings some kind of unjustness.
Because there is an ongoing phase of qualification, and this fact provides advantage for those pairs. They can see all tags in other pairs.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I did not participate in this contest Nov 30, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

In 7th ProZ.com contest total points in the pair English to Russian made: 114 (if I would take a rough median this means 114/4 (the best point 4-second point 2-third point 1) at least 28 persons took place in voting phase. (this rate is very low)

But now, in the said pair all tags (likes, dislikes, agrees and disagrees) amount to 1000. (Let alone the fact that, qualification round opened just two days ago). What made people within 3 months (since the previous contest) to vote in such huge amounts?

Anyway, huge inflation in voters' interests (especially with negative comments) confused me.

(I participated once and placed second.)

Anyway, while before you could express only three votes (first, second and third place), now there are the likes and dislikes. I looked at the translations in my main pair and gave - I think - at least 15 amongst likes and dislikes (mostly dislikes:-() and agrees/disagrees to other agrees/disagrees- and I am not yet finished and still didn't vote!

So you see there is no inflation in voters, and not necessarily from other contestants, at least in my opinion (and in my case).

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-30 19:43 GMT]

Shaun Yeo
Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
An invitation to grade the quality of writing for the Chinese-to-English pair Dec 1, 2008

I watch with great interest the voting process for the above pair and would like to invite native English speakers to comment and grade the quality of writing. I think your participation will introduce some interesting elements to the contest.
Cheers,
Shaun

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do we need a new toggle button? Dec 1, 2008

I would suggest a new feature on the rating page if it is not too much trouble.

Since the number of entries is great, and the raters do not have to rate all entries but give their votes to the most likely to win, namely the best or they like the best. So it would be a good idea if the voters can make disappear those submissions below their expectation from the rating page by clicking a toggle button. It would gradually water down to a manageble number of entries to which they have a
... See more
I would suggest a new feature on the rating page if it is not too much trouble.

Since the number of entries is great, and the raters do not have to rate all entries but give their votes to the most likely to win, namely the best or they like the best. So it would be a good idea if the voters can make disappear those submissions below their expectation from the rating page by clicking a toggle button. It would gradually water down to a manageble number of entries to which they have already give votes or may consider it and revise the number of stars to each entry if it's needed.

The toggle button can be something like "hide entries i have not voted" and "show all".
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting rounds will start next week

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »