1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: final round has been extended in some pairs.
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2008

Hi all,

The final round has closed in 38 of the contest language pairs, and votes are being tallied.

Voting is still possible in other pairs, where more votes would be needed for the selection of a winner to be representative. Voting in these pairs will be extended until next week.

If you meet the requirements to vote in any of the pairs, please do so. You c
... See more
Hi all,

The final round has closed in 38 of the contest language pairs, and votes are being tallied.

Voting is still possible in other pairs, where more votes would be needed for the selection of a winner to be representative. Voting in these pairs will be extended until next week.

If you meet the requirements to vote in any of the pairs, please do so. You can see the pairs open for voting here: http://www.proz.com/contests

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this experience with your vote.

Winners will be announced after December 22. I will keep you posted.

Have a nice weekend,

Romina
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What about pairs that are closed? Dec 19, 2008

When will the winners of pairs that are already closed be announced? I thought they would be announced today, Dec 19, 2008.

MITA,
Monika

RominaZ wrote:

Hi all,

If you meet the requirements to vote in any of the pairs, please do so. You can see the pairs open for voting here: http://www.proz.com/contests

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this experience with your vote.

Winners will be announced after December 22. I will keep you posted.

Have a nice weekend,

Romina

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
what if none else votes? Dec 19, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Hi Romina,

What if there are not enough votes to determine a winner? What will you do?

Elizabeth

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time allowed for checking votes. Dec 19, 2008

Hi Monika,
Monika Coulson wrote:

When will the winners of pairs that are already closed be announced? I thought they would be announced today, Dec 19, 2008.

MITA,
Monika

Winners are not announced immediately after the contest finishes. Allowing some time for checking the votes has proved to be a good policy (this has been so in the previous contest.)

Elizabeth Ardans
What if there are not enough votes to determine a winner? What will you do?

Hi Elizabeth,

There have been voters in all the remaining pairs but one (Hungarian to French). This extension of the voting deadline is aimed at having a more representative number of voters in all pairs. If nobody else votes then winners will be determined according to the opinions expressed by the ones that did vote.

However, I think the community is enthusiastic enough about the contest to participate in these areas where votes are needed.

I will keep you posted.

Romina

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Dec 19, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Winners are not announced immediately after the contest finishes. Allowing some time for checking the votes has proved to be a good policy (this has been so in the previous contest.)

Romina

That is a very good and sound procedure. Thank you for your reply.

Monika

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:58
English to Thai
+ ...
My concerns Dec 20, 2008

I have concerns about assessment standards of the translation contest.
Though very qualified translators will be referees to the contest, will it is a good guidance as to certify the winner as the best Prozian/professional translator of the specific language pairs and fields of the subject.
Again, I am in supporting of this continual event to stimulate our activities.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:58
SITE FOUNDER
Winners can be proud Dec 20, 2008

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I have concerns about assessment standards of the translation contest.
Though very qualified translators will be referees to the contest, will it is a good guidance as to certify the winner as the best Prozian/professional translator of the specific language pairs and fields of the subject.

No, to conclude that would be too much, not least because it is a minority of active ProZ.com users who participated in this contest.

That said, I think the group selection methods are sound, and in most pairs, clear winners have emerged. Winners will have a right to be proud.

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Portuguese-Spanish Dec 20, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

There have been voters in all the remaining pairs but one (Hungarian to French).

Hi Romina,

Portuguese-Spanish is still open for voting too... shouldn't it?

Elizabeth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: final round has been extended in some pairs.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »