Update on and closing of the 9th translation contest, 10th contest on its way
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:01
SITE STAFF
May 26, 2011

Hello all,

Congratulations once again to the winners of the last translation contest, the 9th contest to be held, with the theme "Business".

I would also like to apologize for the long-overdue closing of this contest. I appreciate the patience of those who may have been "left hanging" with the results for some of the language pairs (and those who have been waiting for and asking after the next contest). These remaining pairs are being closed out now. I will be notifying
... See more
Hello all,

Congratulations once again to the winners of the last translation contest, the 9th contest to be held, with the theme "Business".

I would also like to apologize for the long-overdue closing of this contest. I appreciate the patience of those who may have been "left hanging" with the results for some of the language pairs (and those who have been waiting for and asking after the next contest). These remaining pairs are being closed out now. I will be notifying participants directly, and updating this post here with results.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks, Jared! May 27, 2011

For my part, I will keep on waiting patiently as I do enjoy the challenge...

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:01
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Really nice theme May 27, 2011

Jared wrote:
The theme for the upcoming contest is "A translator's life".
Jared

Love it, really nice

Kanako Fujiwara
Kanako Fujiwara  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thank you for your notification May 28, 2011

I appreciate it.

I have already downloaded and saved my certification as well!

Mario Altare
Mario Altare
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Really nice theme Jun 6, 2011

I look forward to taking part in the contest! Please keep us posted

[Modificato alle 2011-06-06 17:32 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2011-06-06 21:13 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I won't participate nor vote Jun 6, 2011

I have voted several times and in my opinion it is not fair to let wait people such a long time. People that have dedicated time and efforts to their translation and people who have voted (which is very much time consuming as well) just to help to find a winner and to reward those who have tried to offer the best possible translation.

Mario Altare
Mario Altare
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Any news? Jun 20, 2011

Hi,

Any news about the next contest?

Lyandra
Lyandra
United States
Local time: 18:01
French to English
+ ...
when? Aug 30, 2011

This sounds interesting! Any idea yet of when the new contest will begin? I'd like to give it a go.

Manuela Dal Castello
Manuela Dal Castello  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Since mid September... Oct 14, 2011

(as a minimum)... what we can read on the "Translation Contests" page is
"Contest temporarily inaccessible.The contest area is currently unavailable. A transition from one phase of the contest to another may be underway. "

Is there any hope to see something new?

Manuela

Lucia Maria Grella
Lucia Maria Grella  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Also waiting... Oct 16, 2011

to participate! Any news from the staff?

...guys?!....

I think a lot of colleagues have given up waiting by now

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two suggestions Oct 17, 2011

Jared wrote:
It is also high time for a new contest, which will begin shortly after the open contest has been closed.

Two suggestions:

1. Do not wait for the last contest to close before starting the next contest. This 10th contest was held up by nothing else than the fact that the 9th contest could not be closed because of the lack of participants in certain languages.

2. Allow translators to vote for the best translation... even if it is their own.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Any news...? Nov 22, 2011

Jared wrote:
It is also high time for a new contest, which will begin shortly after the open contest has been closed. The theme for the upcoming contest is "A translator's life". Stay tuned for this 10th ProZ.com translation contest, and thanks again for everyone's participation and patience!

Any news...?

I know the later contests were supposed to be better organised and more fair and so on, but these numbers tell a sad story:

2007:
First contest: Feb 1 to Feb 20 (closed after 20 days)
Second contest: Mar 27 to Apr 25 (closed after 29 days)
Third contest: May 13 to Jun 26 (closed after 44 days)
Fourth contest: Aug 23 to Sep 27 (closed after 35 days)
Fifth contest: Oct 31 to Dec 21 (closed after 52 days)

2008:
Sixth contest: Feb 14 to Apr 10 (open for 55 days)
Seventh contest: May 7 to Jul 8 (open for 61 days)

2009:
Eighth contest: Oct 28, 2008 to Mar 20, 2009 (closed after 143 days)

2010:
Ninth contest: Sep 7, 2009 to May 26, 2011 (closed after 626 days)

In an attempt to get more people involved, the deadline for the 9th contest was repeatedly extended in the hope that more people will join, but that didn't happen, did it?

I'm sure the people who complained about the first seven contests are long gone, so here's a suggestion: why not run the contest again on the basis that it was run in the beginning?

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:01
Italian to English
Previous winners Nov 23, 2011

Manuela Dal Castello wrote:

what we can read on the "Translation Contests" page is
"Contest temporarily inaccessible.The contest area is currently unavailable. A transition from one phase of the contest to another may be underway. "

Not only that. The links to previous winners' certificates are not available from their profiles.

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Message to the site staff Nov 29, 2011

So many requests from the translators and not a peep from the site staff. This is sad and plainly impolite.

Why don't those responsible for the contest organizing update the Proz community honestly on the contests status? I don't get it. If you are not going to conduct any contests - that's fine, just tell us about it in a civilized manner. If you are going to proceed - again, tell us when and how, plain and simple.

Please communicate. Please do not pretend as if you d
... See more
So many requests from the translators and not a peep from the site staff. This is sad and plainly impolite.

Why don't those responsible for the contest organizing update the Proz community honestly on the contests status? I don't get it. If you are not going to conduct any contests - that's fine, just tell us about it in a civilized manner. If you are going to proceed - again, tell us when and how, plain and simple.

Please communicate. Please do not pretend as if you don't hear all those questions from the site members.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:01
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Update Nov 29, 2011

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, and for keeping some of you hanging on this. Unfortunately, the translation contest was one event I was unable to get to this year. I hope to be able to kick off the next contest towards the start of 2012.

Jared

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update on and closing of the 9th translation contest, 10th contest on its way

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »