Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
First ProZ contest - what is the status?
Thread poster: Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:20
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 24, 2007

Is it ever going to close or it's yet another soap opera to kill anyone simply by waiting?

Dear Florencia, you've started it, so please let us know when it's over?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-24 20:05]

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
Today Feb 24, 2007

It is on every message from Proz. Voting will be closed today, Saturday.

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, "сome tomorrow" thing ;-) Feb 24, 2007

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Yes, Luisa, thank you, I've read the messages. They say "next Saturday", so it may be NEXT Saturday, and so on.

At the very beginning it was supposed it will be a week to provide translations, then a week to vote. Now, the 3rd week is almost over.

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:20
English to German
+ ...
Saturday Feb 24, 2007

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Yes, Luisa, thank you, I've read the messages. They say "next Saturday", so it may be NEXT Saturday, and so on.

At the very beginning it was supposed it will be a week to provide translations, then a week to vote. Now, the 3rd week is almost over.

We know the voting period will end on a Saturday. "Next Saturday" was posted, I think, on Wed. Feb 21st, to me, that means not this Saturday but Saturday next week. The more votes, the better, after all there are over 200 translations in all to be evaluated by entitled members.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Voting closes today, results Tuesday Feb 24, 2007

Birgit Richter wrote:
Kirill Semenov wrote:
Luisa Ramos wrote:

We know the voting period will end on a Saturday. "Next Saturday" was posted, I think, on Wed. Feb 21st, to me, that means not this Saturday but Saturday next week. The more votes, the better, after all there are over 200 translations in all to be evaluated by entitled members.

That's exactly it. We underestimated the time people would need for voting, so we extended by five .

The plan is to review the votes by pair Monday, and to post an announcement of winners on Tuesday.

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but you must have probably announced it earlier Feb 24, 2007

Henry wrote:
The plan is to review the votes by pair Monday, and to post an announcement of winners on Tuesday.

Thank you for the explanation, Henry. I still think the event was important enough and deserved more messages from the staff and the organizers. Not necessarily on the main page, it's way too busy with commercial ads, anyway, still the contest started very lively but ends so faded... Almost a month is probably too long to keep suspence and interest, I suppose.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 24, 2007

Actually, I am a bit disappointed with the number of translations submitted (in EN-HU, for instance), and I thought the reason for relatively low participation might have been that many translators (especially the ones who are engaged in translating literature) fear to be ranked 23/24 (or even 10/24).
Therefore, I'd suggest to diclose just the winners - what do you think of that? In this case, it would be possible to discuss the merits of all translations - to help all of us, to develop o
... See more
Actually, I am a bit disappointed with the number of translations submitted (in EN-HU, for instance), and I thought the reason for relatively low participation might have been that many translators (especially the ones who are engaged in translating literature) fear to be ranked 23/24 (or even 10/24).
Therefore, I'd suggest to diclose just the winners - what do you think of that? In this case, it would be possible to discuss the merits of all translations - to help all of us, to develop our skills.
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:20
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Ready to Win, Ready to Lose Feb 25, 2007

Eva Blanar wrote:

. . . many translators (especially the ones who are engaged in translating literature) fear to be ranked 23/24 (or even 10/24).
Therefore, I'd suggest to diclose just the winners - what do you think of that? In this case, it would be possible to discuss the merits of all translations - to help all of us, to develop our skills.

Hi Eva,

In any contest, there will be winners and losers. So, if the winners of the translation contest will be disclosed, the losers should be disclosed too in order that other translators (both participants and non-participants of the contest) may give their comprehensive comments after comparing all the translations. By doing so, they may propose precious suggestions to improve it.

Frankly, I also participated in the just-for-fun translation contest. Whether I will be one of the losers or one of the winners, it does not matter. It is just for fun, isn't it? Anyway, we should be ready to win and also be ready to lose.

Have a nice weekend

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree hands down Feb 25, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:
Whether I will be one of the losers or one of the winners, it does not matter. It is just for fun, isn't it? Anyway, we should be ready to win and also be ready to lose.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure, for fun... Feb 25, 2007

... I am not against disclosing all of the results, I only tried to imagine the position of an EN-FR translator who makes his/her living from literature and who ranks somewhere at the end of the list: will s/he attend next time?

At any rate, for an intelligent client, participation in a worldwide contest ought to be a good sign, in itself - and this text was actually a challenge. A nice one.

And who of us wishes to work with not intelligent clients?...
See more
... I am not against disclosing all of the results, I only tried to imagine the position of an EN-FR translator who makes his/her living from literature and who ranks somewhere at the end of the list: will s/he attend next time?

At any rate, for an intelligent client, participation in a worldwide contest ought to be a good sign, in itself - and this text was actually a challenge. A nice one.

And who of us wishes to work with not intelligent clients?
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
I like Eva's suggestion Feb 25, 2007

I don't need to see the names of the single participants in order to evaluate their solutions. Showing only the name of the participant with the highest number of votes (or maybe the three highest-ranked ones) is enough in my opinion. Not only is it not necessary to show all the other names, it might indeed (as Eva has said) discourage future participation due to the fear of ending up with a low rank.

However, I'd welcome a discussion of the different solutions. I hope we will get t
... See more
I don't need to see the names of the single participants in order to evaluate their solutions. Showing only the name of the participant with the highest number of votes (or maybe the three highest-ranked ones) is enough in my opinion. Not only is it not necessary to show all the other names, it might indeed (as Eva has said) discourage future participation due to the fear of ending up with a low rank.

However, I'd welcome a discussion of the different solutions. I hope we will get together in our respective language forums to do so after the voting phase has ended. Again, I think it will be useful not to see the names next to the entries when discussing them. Afterall, it might affect our judgment if we see who wrote what.

Cheers,
Stefanie
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
To Hipyan and Larissa Feb 25, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:
In any contest, there will be winners and losers. So, if the winners of the translation contest will be disclosed, the losers should be disclosed too in order that other translators (both participants and non-participants of the contest) may give their comprehensive comments after comparing all the translations. By doing so, they may propose precious suggestions to improve it.

Hi Hipyan and Larissa,

I don't really see the necessity to disclose all the names. The entries are there, and we can comment on them, regardless of seeing their authors. I can even imagine that our judgment might be affected if we see who submitted which entry.

Speaking about other contests: I think in other translation contests they also show the names of the winners only.

Hipyan Nopri wrote:
Frankly, I also participated in the just-for-fun translation contest. Whether I will be one of the losers or one of the winners, it does not matter. It is just for fun, isn't it? Anyway, we should be ready to win and also be ready to lose.

There are only three entries in Indonesian, so no Indonesian participant can rank lower than third. But wouldn't you be disappointed (and probably even a bit embarrased) to be ranked third out of three entries? Or what if the voters decide that none of the entries was good enough to be voted for? Wouldn't you want to avoid that your clients see this? What if there were more entries, and yours came in as 25th out of 25? That would be really bad marketing for any translator's capabilities, I think.

I don't see any harm in hiding the names. But there is potential for harm if the names are shown.

Have a nice Sunday, everybody!

Stefanie

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I agree with you Feb 25, 2007

I don't think that all the results have to be shown.
I, myself, did enter the contest and I am prepared to defend my version so I am not afraid of people knowing what I wrote.
I however read some translations in the EN-FR with strong grammatical insufficiencies (text written by non native?). Maybe it could backfire on them as a professional that the people could be aware of the author of such translations.

The non winners (or not in the 1st tier) should be a possibility
... See more
I don't think that all the results have to be shown.
I, myself, did enter the contest and I am prepared to defend my version so I am not afraid of people knowing what I wrote.
I however read some translations in the EN-FR with strong grammatical insufficiencies (text written by non native?). Maybe it could backfire on them as a professional that the people could be aware of the author of such translations.

The non winners (or not in the 1st tier) should be a possibility of opting out of showing their names once they noticed with comparing their text with others that they had severe problems in their translations so that the end clients who can compare the results don't end up having doubts about their proficiencies.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with Eva Feb 25, 2007

Eva Blanar wrote:
I'd suggest to diclose just the winners - what do you think of that? In this case, it would be possible to discuss the merits of all translations - to help all of us, to develop our skills.

...and Yolande and Stefanie.
After all, the contest was meant to be for fun, so it would be terrible if it ended in public humiliation for translators who rank 25th (or thereabout).
I haven't participated myself, but I can imagine how I would feel if it was publicised that I came last in a translation contest, even if the total number of entries were just 5 or 6.

[Edited at 2007-02-25 18:57]

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing to be ashamed of Feb 25, 2007

Nesrin wrote:
Eva Blanar wrote:
I'd suggest to diclose just the winners - what do you think of that? In this case, it would be possible to discuss the merits of all translations - to help all of us, to develop our skills.

...and Yolande and Stefanie.
After all, the contest was meant to be for fun, so it would be terrible if it ended in public humiliation for translators who rank 25th (or thereabout).
I haven't participated myself, but I can imagine how I would feel if it was publicised that I came last in a translation contest, even if the total number of entries were just 5 or 6.

I don't think so. Translators who decided to participate knew what they were doing, so I believe we have to behave as mature adults and `abosrb the punches'.

I mean nobody enforces anyone to participate in a show like "Survival" or "Wheel of Fortune", but people decide to participate they should be ready to be criticized which is very likely their possible future.

And in the case of the contest, it's not about humiliating anyone, it's about gaining great experience.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First ProZ contest - what is the status?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »