Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Fourth ProZ.com Translation Contest qualification round has just started!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita

María Florencia Vita
Local time: 22:06
SITE STAFF
Sep 12, 2007

Dear members,

The Fourth ProZ.com Translation Contest submission phase for pairs with least seven entries is over, and the qualification phase has just started. Submissions are still being accepted for pairs with 6 or fewer entries .

Members will have three choices available to decide if a given entry has a chance to win or not: [Yes, it may be the best] [No, others are clearly better] [ I am not sure/ Decline to vote]

Please remember that from this contest on, if you vote negatively for an entry which then turns out to be a winning entry, you will not be able to vote in the qualification round of future contests. You will, however, be able to vote in the final round of each contest.
Read more about this here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contest_rules

Members may cancel their vote and vote again only if the entry is still pending and subject to vote. Members will be notified when their vote is a deciding vote and either qualifies an entry or removes it from the contest.

You can make your choices here http://www.proz.com/contests . Thank you all for taking part in this fourth translation contest!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Direct link Reply with quote

Marian Vieyra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:06
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
How many votes to qualify to next round? Sep 13, 2007

Hello Florencia,

Can you please tell me how many votes are needed to qualify for the next round and how does a negative vote affect qualification?

Also, do I have to choose an option for all entries? That is to say, do I have to make a comment on each entry (in the case of Spanish, all 48 entries!!)

Regards
Marian

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'd like to know, too. Sep 13, 2007

I ditto Marian's question. How many votes are needed to qualify for the next round?

Also, do negative votes cancel out the positive ones? What happens if an entry has both positive and negative votes?

Thanks, Florencia. You're doing a great job!

María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Qualification round Sep 13, 2007

Dear all,

Thank you for your kind words.

Both positive and negative votes are computed to define the qualification. You may vote on as many entries as you want (provided your are qualified to do so).

Thank you all for your great support of the site and the contest as well.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Votes to Qualify Sep 14, 2007

I hope it's OK for me, as one of the entrants, to make this comment, but it would appear you need 3 positive votes to qualify for the final round.

Again, I hope I'm not out of order, but my Spanish-English entry seems to have managed to qualify with 3 positives and 1 negative (I'm naturally happy to be through, but I thought I'd need 4 positives to make it add up to 3, or has the 4th one not been shown?)

Feel free to delete any or all of this post if this kind of information isn't meant to be revealed. Otherwise, I hope it helps.

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:06
Russian to English
+ ...
A technical suggestion for future contests Sep 14, 2007

Now, in the qualification round, when I act as a voter, I can see how I voted for the pending entries.

Still, I cannot see how I voted for the already qualified entries.

It may be convenient for the voter such that there would be an indication of how he voted for a qualified entry (shown only to him).

[Edited at 2007-09-14 13:43]

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Qualified entries Sep 14, 2007

I can only see 3 qualified entries (English-Spanish), but it says there are 7. Why can't I see the others? There may be a bug (or a counting mistake)...

Besides that, if I remember correctl, last time there was a discussion regarding the fact that an entry could qualify or be disqualified before the end of the qualification period. Shouldn't all the entries be open for qualification until the end? Entries may receive positive or negative votes later that could affect wether they qualify or not... but I may be missing the reason why it was set this way...

Have a nice weekend!

Enrique Cavalitto
SITE STAFF
On the qualification round Sep 14, 2007

Dear Elizabeth,

Thanks for pointing to this problem, already solved by one of our developers.

The idea of the qualification phase is to let voters concentrate of entries that have a chance to win, especially in pair with a lot of entries (it is hard to vote when there are too many options), so entries are taken out of the qualification phase as soon as they are clearly qualified or disqualified.

Regards,
Enrique

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
optional feedback in qualification round... Sep 15, 2007

When I have been reading through the entries I have come across more than a couple which have some really lovely phrasing or just seem to hit the button on something, but sadly, misspelling or incorrect grammar or another section that doesn't flow well inclines me to hit the "other entries are clearly better" option.

It feels a bit heartless to give a negative vote to a piece which has some really good qualities - especially if it's the deciding vote.

Another point which comes to mind is how many entries you vote for. With so many I doubt whether many of us will have said yay or ney to all of the entries by the time voting ends - I certainly won't have. How fair is that? And entries which have already qualified cannot be voted on again until the next round. (A point raised by Elizabeth.)

I suggest voting on a 1-5 scale during the qualifying round and the passing the top x% through to the next round.

I also wonder about the "decline to vote" option. What's the difference between choosing this and simply closing the window?

Just some comments and suggestions.....I love the contest and think it's an all-too-rare opportunity to get some feedback from our peers. May it continue long into the future and frequently!

Enrique Cavalitto
SITE STAFF
Non-members invited to vote in the qualification round Sep 15, 2007

Dear all,

An experimental idea has been implemented in the Fourth ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting in the qualification phase has been open to site users of any membership status (profiles must be older than a month). All other conditions are the same described by Florencia in the first post of this thread.

Kind regards,
Enrique

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-16 19:35]

Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:06
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
negative votes Sep 16, 2007

Hi Florencia,

I think the competition's great, but can't help wondering about the potential for abusing negative votes. It seems to me that it would be a good idea to make it impossible for any competitor to enter a negative vote in any language pair in which they are competing - in the same way that one (quite rightly!) can't vote for one's own entries.

I also agree with Patyjs regarding reading through large numbers of entries. It is quite daunting. Having said that, it's hard to imagine how this aspect could be made any fairer!

Best regards,

Carol

[Edited at 2007-09-16 21:16]

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
a point vote would eliminate negative voting.... Sep 16, 2007

Carol, thanks for the agreement.
A points vote would, I believe, solve the problem of negative voting.
Anyone would be able to give a low or high mark to any entry right up until the last day of qualification without being responsible for the entry passing or not passing to the next round. If the marking were not revealed until voting was over, no-one could be influenced by what others had voted...there would be no way to know what difference your particular vote made to each entry.

By qualifying the top x% the contest organizers would know beforehand approximately how many entries would make it through to the next round. As it is, what happens if all the entries get positive votes? If the idea is to separate those with less chance of winning, a scale vote would seem to be more appropriate than an all-or-nothing decision.

Another question. What happens to the entries with neither decisive positive nor negative votes?

María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions! Sep 17, 2007

Dear Carol and patyjs,

Thank you very much for your good suggestions. We are going to take them into account for future contests...
We want to achieve the best possible way to make the qualification and the voting round.

I really appreciate your participation and support!
Kind regards,
Florencia

Maria Soares  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:06
Member (2007)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Spanish/portuguese contest Mar 8, 2008

Hi,

I would like to know what does it mean "Not yet qualified" in my contest (spanish/portuguese).

Does it mean that my translation was not qualified and that way I`m not in the process?

Thanks

María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Please go to the contest´s forum- anyway here is my anwer... Mar 9, 2008

Hi Maria,

¨Not yet qualified¨means that you are still in competition, that you have not the amount of negative votes to be disqualified, nor the amount of possitive votes to be qualified.

So you still have possibilities!

By the way, I am not in charge of the contest organization any longer, my co worker and friend Romina is in charge now and she will be better able to help you with the contest queries and doubts.

You can contact her at romina@proz.com
or just go to the contest forum thread.

http://www.proz.com/forum/439

Thanks for taking part of the 6th ProZ.com translation contest!

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Florencia Vita

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fourth ProZ.com Translation Contest qualification round has just started!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search