Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
The Fourth Translation Contest is now in the final VOTING phase!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 16:14
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Sep 20, 2007

Dear Anne,

No problem about it.

Thanks for letting me know.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:14
German to English
Discussing contest entries Sep 21, 2007

Michele Johnson wrote:
I would be happy to give feedback and talk about strong/weak points of the translation

That would be interesting to me, too. Is there already any special place where we can discuss the entries, once the competition is over?

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
There will be room for discussion and feedback Sep 21, 2007

Dear Anne,

Yes, of course. Once the competition is over, there will be room for discussion and feedback inside each language pair in reference to each entry.
There will also be a space to allow feedback and comments of the contest as a whole.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
The right to know why..... Sep 21, 2007

As you know, Florencia, I participated in the Spanish into English text and was almost immediately disqualified in the first round; it would have been most important, helpful - and fair - for me to know the reason/s for this outcome ….

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

I couldn't agree more. People should state the reasons why they vote against, because I believe the votes will appear in the final results. So the contestants have the right to know why they have received a negative vote.

Elisabete

IanDhu wrote:

Hullo, Florencia;

In future contests, it would be a good idea for members voting against a particular entry to substantiate their decision (succinctly). This would curb the risk of intrusion from (inter)personal factors.

With kind regards,
Adam.

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion Susie! Sep 21, 2007

Dear Susie,

That would be a great idea to be implemented for the next contest.
Every negative vote will need to have a comment to be seen by the owner of the entry. That could be a very good way to learn from this contest even if your entry is not qualified in the end.

Thank you Susie, helpful as always!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
English to Belarusian
+ ...
En-Ru Pair Sep 21, 2007

In EN-Ru pair again weird things have been happening. Entries were disqualified and then they popped up again. Would be interesting to know
1) What the reasons for bringing back the disqualified entries were
2) Why they (the reasons) were not made public
3) Is this a rule for all the English-Russian contests that a disqualified entry will still make it eventually to the final voting?

And yes, giving reasons for a negative vote would be helpful.

Thank
... See more
In EN-Ru pair again weird things have been happening. Entries were disqualified and then they popped up again. Would be interesting to know
1) What the reasons for bringing back the disqualified entries were
2) Why they (the reasons) were not made public
3) Is this a rule for all the English-Russian contests that a disqualified entry will still make it eventually to the final voting?

And yes, giving reasons for a negative vote would be helpful.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2007-09-21 14:39]

[Edited at 2007-09-21 19:02]
Collapse

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:14
English to German
+ ...
Again: order of entries Sep 21, 2007

Florencia Vita wrote:

Dear Emmanuelle,

Entries in this stage are presented in random order. Each viewer will get the same random sort order that they get the first time they logged in. This is to prevent confusion when voting for a given entry.

Well, I guess I have answered every ones doubts and concerns.

Once again thank you for taking part in this contest.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Hi Florencia

How come I always get the entries in different orders when reopening the site (without disconnecting)?

Didn't you say I would always get them in the same order? (I have not deleted my cookies)... My entry was the last one this morning, the first at about noon and now I am in the middle...

Thanks

and thanks for your work in this contest. I think it's real fun!

Leena

[Edited at 2007-09-21 16:27]

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
One new rule has been applied Sep 21, 2007

Dear Yuri,

The reason why some disqualified entries have popped up again was simply because we put a new rule into effect:

"If someone votes negatively for all the entries available in a given language pair throughout the qualification round, that negative vote is annulled."

Thanks for your participation!

Kind regards,
Florencia

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Susie Sep 21, 2007

I also participated in the English to Spanish section and was disqualified in the first five minutes, I think!

The entry was for fun, of course. I don't expect to be able to compete with native speakers. Still, it would be nice to know where I really messed up.

Are entries which were disqualified in the first round up for comments/discussion after the final voting?

Thanks... and congrats to
... See more
I also participated in the English to Spanish section and was disqualified in the first five minutes, I think!

The entry was for fun, of course. I don't expect to be able to compete with native speakers. Still, it would be nice to know where I really messed up.

Are entries which were disqualified in the first round up for comments/discussion after the final voting?

Thanks... and congrats to all those who are in the finals!
Collapse

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Just a reminder! Sep 21, 2007

When the first translation contest was announced the following note was included:

Note: Participation in this contest is optional. Members who are not interested in participating (or even disagree with the contests in principle) are kindly asked to withhold comment until after the first contest is closed, in order to allow those who choose to participate to do so with minimal distraction.

Please note that the contest, now in its voting phase, is still open.

Please withhold comment until after the contest is closed.

Thanks for your understanding!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
Thank you, Florencia.... Sep 21, 2007

Florencia Vita wrote:

Dear Susie,

That would be a great idea to be implemented for the next contest.
Every negative vote will need to have a comment to be seen by the owner of the entry. That could be a very good way to learn from this contest even if your entry is not qualified in the end.

Thank you Susie, helpful as always!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
Not just for fun!! Sep 21, 2007

I think that it would be a much more enriching experience if we could be able to learn from the mistakes made .....

patyjs wrote:

Thanks... and congrats to all those who are in the finals!

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ok... for fun AND feedback... Sep 21, 2007

Susie, I was misled by your name and your excellent English. I thought you were a native English speaker, as I am, and had entered the En - Sp contest for fun, as I did.

Still, doing something for fun doesn't mean the same as not taking it seriously. I hope to enter the next contest in the same categories and do better than I did this time. (Maybe hold out a full half hour before being disqualified ) Which is why
... See more
Susie, I was misled by your name and your excellent English. I thought you were a native English speaker, as I am, and had entered the En - Sp contest for fun, as I did.

Still, doing something for fun doesn't mean the same as not taking it seriously. I hope to enter the next contest in the same categories and do better than I did this time. (Maybe hold out a full half hour before being disqualified ) Which is why some feedback would be helpful.

Incidently, my Spanish to English entry was disqualified, too, although that one did manage to go the distance!

Not to worry. I've picked out my winners in all the xx to English categories (although only voted in Sp to En) and am looking forward to finding out the final results.

Collapse

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish to English Sep 21, 2007

I agree. I did too entered the Spanish to English contest for fun and to see how I would do, and apparently should have been more careful, because mine too was disqualified! Fortunately my English to Spanish entry made it to the final phase But like you Patyjs, I will again participate in those two categories next time and try to do better.

Henar

patyjs wrote:

Still, doing something for fun doesn't mean the same as not taking it seriously. I hope to enter the next contest in the same categories and do better than I did this time. (Maybe hold out a full half hour before being disqualified ) Which is why some feedback would be helpful.

Incidently, my Spanish to English entry was disqualified, too, although that one did manage to go the distance!

Not to worry. I've picked out my winners in all the xx to English categories (although only voted in Sp to En) and am looking forward to finding out the final results.

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
“feedback” is the word.... Sep 22, 2007

Yes, Patyjs, “feedback” is the word…

You know that I only participated in the Sp › En pair because, as Henar Chico says: “to see how I would do” (to try myself) and maybe also because I liked very much how the subject was approached in the Spanish text.

Thank you for your comment about my English! I am Uruguayan but have British ascendancy from my father’s family side, although I learned my English at an American school in Uruguay and later working as bili
... See more
Yes, Patyjs, “feedback” is the word…

You know that I only participated in the Sp › En pair because, as Henar Chico says: “to see how I would do” (to try myself) and maybe also because I liked very much how the subject was approached in the Spanish text.

Thank you for your comment about my English! I am Uruguayan but have British ascendancy from my father’s family side, although I learned my English at an American school in Uruguay and later working as bilingual secretary. So I know I can make mistakes…

Let’s see how we can improve for the next one!!!

patyjs wrote:

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Fourth Translation Contest is now in the final VOTING phase!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »