Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
6th ProZ.com Translation Contest: submission phase is on!
Thread poster: RominaZ
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 13:12
English to German
+ ...
One by one, sure - but that is not practical. The former layout was better. Mar 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Roland,

The former design with an bird's-eye view on all texts and the situation of contribution to each of them should at least be additionally available.

With this new design it is still possible to view the status of all the source texts. If you click on "view" next to "submissions" you'll see the number of entries submitted in each target language. Next to "More source texts" you'll see the links to the other source texts. Click on the source text of your interest and repeat the process. In this way you can see the number of entries each source text received and the target languages present in the contest.

Regards,

Romina

Sorry. One can click them all one by one, sure - but on the former layout one got the beginnings of each text and the contribution status for all pairs, all on one page.

I have a bit the impression that you do not quite understand what I mean. It is now rather complicated for all who are interested in more than one pair. I do not see any benefit in the new arrangement. - But it can't be helped, probably, and will have to be taken as it is.

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
Why restricting contributions to working combinations? Mar 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Katarina,

Please check that the entry you want to submit matches the language pairs you reported in your profile. If the entry is in a language combination you have not reported in your profile yet, you should first add that combination to your working languages and then you will be able to submit your entry in that pair.

I hope this helps.

Remember that you can contact me over skype at rominabona (Argentina)

Please let me know if you have further problems!

Regards,
Romina

Well, this is going from bad to worse. In all previous contests anyone could post entries into any given language combination - with a, rather, though not entirely understandable restriction of being able to vote only in the profile reported combinations. I have in this way entered submissions twice for It-De and once for Ru-De - and although the participation was not big and although I did not win, I was quite well placed in either. - I would not like to do technical translations in other pairs than the ones in my profile. But these contest texts are - so far - not technical and I liked the idea to have a try in other combinations. - It looks as if the many colleagues that have complained here about the missing possibility to enter their translations are in a similar situation - having prepared entries outside of their profile combinations.

- So not only the layout is worse. The conditions for filing contributions are becoming - somewhat - unreasonable too. -

Very many colleagues know more languages than the ones they do business in. What use is there to stop them to enter more contributions, all the more as they could ad a combination shortly, and take it off after some time? - Why should a - possibly - good contribution not be admitted for a registering matter? If the contribution was bad, it would be found out soon enough in the qualification round.

There is that profound misunderstanding, that translation is only about source competence. - In reality, translation, though of course requiring source understanding, is essentially and mainly about target competence. And that can come to bear also in combinations, for which one needs some more dictionary and other research than for one's working pairs.

Question - What happens if a translator for Ru-Zh who, for whatever reason, wishes to enter Tamil-Hungarian, therefore ads this combination shortly to his profile, submits his translation, and after that takes Tamil-Hungarian out of his profile again? - Does his piece then disappear from Tamil-Hungarian, or is it blocked for voting - or neither of these and he is able to win, as he would have been in all former contests.

Although it would be rare for a 100 m sprinter to run a marathon, or for a violinist to compete in a piano contest, one would normally not have a reason to stop them from doing so - all the less if they passed qualification tests for it. And indeed, one would normally not stop a 100 m runner to enter a violin contest, nor a pianist to compete in a marathon. What is this pigeonholing or compartmentalizing for? Who is going to be protected by or what is the aim of forbidding people to file a translation where they wish?

[Edited at 2008-03-04 02:12]

Niela
Niela
Israel
Local time: 14:12
Romanian to Hebrew
+ ...
and the question is : Mar 4, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Members,

I'm happy to announce that the 6th ProZ.com Translation Contest has officially started. The submission phase is now open. There are currently six source texts in English, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Romanian and German http://www.proz.com/contests .

New at ProZ.com Contests:

The contest page now shows a new design, more appealing and customized to the viewer. I hope you like it as much as I do!

After submitting your entry you will see the option to print your translation together with the source text. This will make the proofreading process easier.

The deadline for submission is March 5.

I hope to see you all there!

Romina
Dear Romina,
Can I translate the Romanian text to Hebrew and submit it to the contest ?

[Edited at 2008-03-04 09:50]

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
Italics Mar 4, 2008

Hello!

I would like to use italics in my translation but am not sure whether they will be visible or whether the according tags will be seen insetead - so, can I tag a selected word to be displayed in italics (using < i > word < / i >) or will the tags be shown in the translation, instead?

Best regards,

Anne

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
just try it - Mar 4, 2008

Anne Wosnitza wrote:

Hello!

I would like to use italics in my translation but am not sure whether they will be visible or whether the according tags will be seen insetead - so, can I tag a selected word to be displayed in italics (using < i > word < / i >) or will the tags be shown in the translation, instead?

Best regards,

Anne

Just do what you would like to, then insert your submission and you will see what you get. You have then unlimited possibility to edit/change your submission.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers to your questions Mar 4, 2008

Dear Roland,

I appreciate your interest! In fact the new interface was created as a way to simplify the submission process. In previous contests we found many entries misplaced, for example the Catalan Translation for the Spanish source text under the English source text.

The current submission interface does not allow those kinds of errors. The idea is not to restrict the participation but to make the whole process simpler.

Anne: yes, you can use italics i
... See more
Dear Roland,

I appreciate your interest! In fact the new interface was created as a way to simplify the submission process. In previous contests we found many entries misplaced, for example the Catalan Translation for the Spanish source text under the English source text.

The current submission interface does not allow those kinds of errors. The idea is not to restrict the participation but to make the whole process simpler.

Anne: yes, you can use italics in the way you described above.

Niela: The submission phase is open to professional members only. However, voting is open to everyone!

Romina
Collapse

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
Not clear yet - Mar 4, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Roland,

Romina

Cara Romina,

you did not answer the question - although of course , I know that it will not have been your who was responsible for downgrading this.

What is if a translator has Spanish to Catalan and English to Catalan as working pairs? If he translates Spanish and English source texts, he can, by accident, confound the submission in the present system as well, as he has access to both, Spanish and English submission. This system might limit such certainly rare mistakes, it does not exclude them. But it looks like restriction and policing - and that looks bad.

Your did not answer what happens if somewhat ads a pair to his profile, inserts his contribution and removes this pair from his profile - before the contest is over. Will the contribution remain there until closure of vote? - And what if he has won or at least is in the finalists' record, and removes the pair later from his profile - will his entry stay were it is?

Another point. In former contests it was said that submission would end on a given day at 15.00 GMT. This time no hour is given. - Is it March 5 15.00 or 24.00 GMT?

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Submission deadline Mar 5, 2008

Dear Roland,

Cara Romina,

Your did not answer what happens if somewhat ads a pair to his profile, inserts his contribution and removes this pair from his profile - before the contest is over. Will the contribution remain there until closure of vote?

Yes, it will

- And what if he has won or at least is in the finalists' record, and removes the pair later from his profile - will his entry stay were it is?

Yes, it will.

Another point. In former contests it was said that submission would end on a given day at 15.00 GMT. This time no hour is given. - Is it March 5 15.00 or 24.00 GMT?

The submission phase of the 6th ProZ.com Translation Contest,
with the theme "Relationships" will close on March 5, 15 GMT
in language pairs with more than 6 entries. In language pairs
with fewer than 6 entries, submission will be open until March
18, 15 GMT. Please see http://www.proz.com/topic/98806 .

Best regards,
Romina

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
What's that silence? ;) Mar 13, 2008

I've never taken part in any of these contests before - isn't it likely that some entries won't be read or judged at all? It's a lot of material to plough through after all...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

6th ProZ.com Translation Contest: submission phase is on!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »