Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why I can´t vote in the running contest?
Thread poster: Silvia Aquino
Silvia Aquino
Silvia Aquino  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 12, 2008

I entered the present contest but I do not know why I can´t manage to vote. Is there something wrong with my computer? Can anyone help me on this issue?
Many thanks,
Silvia367325

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Voting negatively for a winning entry Mar 12, 2008

Dear silvia367325,

You can find the reason why you don't see the option to vote in this round in FAQ 15 please see
http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contest_rules .

If you have further doubts please submit a support ticket or contact me at romina at proz.com

Best regards,
Romina

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 22:08
German to English
"Voting negatively for winning entry" ?? Mar 13, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

You can find the reason why you don't see the option to vote in this round in FAQ 15 please see
http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contest_rules .

What could possibly be the reason for this rule?

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Shouldn't this be limited to participating members? Mar 13, 2008

Hi Romina,

While I understand that a measure needs to be implemented to prevent participants from disqualifying contributions from other participants and thus creating an advantage for themselves, I don't really understand why this rule applies to all members who can vote and not only to those who themselves participate in the contest.

Actually, I thought FAQ 12 confirmed that this rule only applied to participants but it seems I was wrong. I haven't participated in an
... See more
Hi Romina,

While I understand that a measure needs to be implemented to prevent participants from disqualifying contributions from other participants and thus creating an advantage for themselves, I don't really understand why this rule applies to all members who can vote and not only to those who themselves participate in the contest.

Actually, I thought FAQ 12 confirmed that this rule only applied to participants but it seems I was wrong. I haven't participated in any of the contests yet but I enjoyed taking part in the qualifying and voting stage. However, I'm not allowed to vote any more, probably because I disqualifyed a winning entry in the previous round.

Since I did not participate, this didn't give me any advantage whatsoever. If not even those members who don't submit contributions are free to vote according to their personal opinion, what's the use of the entire qualifying stage?

Could you please clarify on this?

Thanks and regards,
Claudia
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Possible reasoning Mar 13, 2008

Let's forget for the moment that silvia367325 is participating and assume she's not - looking purely at the rule that has been cited.

If you've previously voted negatively on what turns out to be the winning entry (as voted on by peers), the reasoning for the rule could then be a perceived need to prevent people from voting in the disqualification stage on what they (i) would seem to know little about - after all, how can everyone else be wrong? or (ii) seem to have been undu
... See more
Let's forget for the moment that silvia367325 is participating and assume she's not - looking purely at the rule that has been cited.

If you've previously voted negatively on what turns out to be the winning entry (as voted on by peers), the reasoning for the rule could then be a perceived need to prevent people from voting in the disqualification stage on what they (i) would seem to know little about - after all, how can everyone else be wrong? or (ii) seem to have been unduly biased about for some reason.

Now, I'm not suggesting for one minute that silvia367325 is either of the two, but I'd be interested to hear why the site has imposed this rule.

Have you considered that perhaps silvia367325 is more talented than the rest of her peers and, in fact, spotted a serious flaw last time which lesser trained/experienced eyes failed to spot? Perhaps a mistake that most translators make and therefore don't readily pick up on themselves - what then?

So, is she getting penalised for simply not going with the flow? I find it quite insulting actually - seems to me like silvia367325 (and anyone else in her position) has been labelled as "something" without any right of rebuttal.

Please explain, perhaps there is a perfectly logical explanation, but I'm just too thick to see it. Won't be the first time. I obviously need another over-sized mug of strong, black coffee

Thanks
Debs

[Edited at 2008-03-13 14:00]
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Crossed wires? Mar 13, 2008

Silvia,

Did you vote in the last contest? If you did, did you vote against the eventual winner?

The rule that has been cited has nothing to do with whether you participated in the last contest as a contestant, or for that matter whether you are a contestant now.

The rule simply says that if you voted negatively last time against the entry that turned out to be the winner, you can't vote in the disqualifying round now or in future contests.

And,
... See more
Silvia,

Did you vote in the last contest? If you did, did you vote against the eventual winner?

The rule that has been cited has nothing to do with whether you participated in the last contest as a contestant, or for that matter whether you are a contestant now.

The rule simply says that if you voted negatively last time against the entry that turned out to be the winner, you can't vote in the disqualifying round now or in future contests.

And, by the way, you've just broke rule no. 17 in your last post - which has just disappeared it seems - by commenting on the entries in the forums.

All I'm interested is the site's rationale behind rule no. 15.

Regards
Debs

[Edited at 2008-03-13 14:09]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 13, 2008

I really don't see why non-participants should be blocked from voting to disqualify just because they voted against one previous winning entry. It's possible that someone who consistently voted to disqualify entries that went on to win might not be acting in the best of faith or might be demonstrating a lack of prowess in the source or target language, but even this isn't a given.

Silvia Aquino
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why I can´t vote in the running contest? Mar 13, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Silvia,

Regards
Debs

[Edited at 2008-03-13 13:53]

Yes, I did vote in the last contest but I do not remember if I voted against the eventual winner, I only remember that when I knew who he was I was surprised with some literal translations he made.
Anyway, I clearly understand the spirit of the rule although I do not agree with it.

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Precisely Mar 13, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

It's possible that someone who consistently voted to disqualify entries ... might be demonstrating a lack of prowess in the source or target language, but even this isn't a given.

That's my issue with the rule. It isn't a given. It's a presumption that may very well be wrong.

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reviewing the policy Mar 13, 2008

Dear All,

This policy was put in place before I took over responsibility for contests. I am reviewing it.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,
Romina

Silvia Aquino
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The contest rules Mar 13, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

It's possible that someone who consistently voted to disqualify entries ... might be demonstrating a lack of prowess in the source or target language, but even this isn't a given.

That's my issue with the rule. It isn't a given. It's a presumption that may very well be wrong.

I totally agree.

vera12191
vera12191  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Question Mar 14, 2008

Dear Romina,
So far no entry has been qualified in many language combinations (GE-RU, GE-FR, GE-RU, RU-IT) and they are not likely to be qualified because of a low "voting rate". Does it mean that no entry will get to the final round of voting?

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pass to the voting round Mar 14, 2008

Dear vera12191,

None of the entries you mention have been disqualified, so they will pass to the final round of voting.

Regards,
Romina

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why I can´t vote in the running contest?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »