(STAFF) New feature: Directory Text Ads
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 03:00
SITE STAFF
Apr 30, 2003

The freelancer directory now supports highly targeted Freelancer Text Ads, shown in response to specific search criteria. See this info page for details.

As with all new features, I welcome your feedback. Please post comments related to the new Freelancer Text Ads in this thread.

Regards,

jg

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
good idea... ???? Not! May 1, 2003

another scam to make more money out of desperate freelancers...

Giovanni

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:00
English to German
+ ...
Where's the scam? May 1, 2003

Giovanni, you might not like it, and you\'re probably unlikely to buy it - but then, you don\'t have to.

The details are explained, prices are shown - where\'s the scam here?

Ralf

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well, Ralf... May 1, 2003

you know very well how competition works, especially in our field. By introducing another \"service\" like this, you basically force everyone to pay for it to remain competitive. This is one of those services that I believe should have been free for platinum members. We are already paying for advertising. Hence the scam. Just another way to make a quick buck. I find it immoral.

Regards,

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: Verbum Ltd. on 2003-05
... See more
you know very well how competition works, especially in our field. By introducing another \"service\" like this, you basically force everyone to pay for it to remain competitive. This is one of those services that I believe should have been free for platinum members. We are already paying for advertising. Hence the scam. Just another way to make a quick buck. I find it immoral.

Regards,

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: Verbum Ltd. on 2003-05-01 08:28]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
I see your point, Giovanni May 1, 2003

But I don\'t agree with it.

If there were only a limited amount of advertising space available, no alternative means of advertising anywhere else, and Henry were to auction advertising space to the highest bidder, that might be true. But that isn\'t the case.

I don\'t know what Henry is charging, but I doubt it is as much as the 650 Euro I used to pay each year for four lines in the Cologne Yellow Pages. I
... See more
But I don\'t agree with it.

If there were only a limited amount of advertising space available, no alternative means of advertising anywhere else, and Henry were to auction advertising space to the highest bidder, that might be true. But that isn\'t the case.

I don\'t know what Henry is charging, but I doubt it is as much as the 650 Euro I used to pay each year for four lines in the Cologne Yellow Pages. I eventually decided that was unnecessarily expensive. But a scam? Surely not. I got what I paid for - four lines in the Yellow Pages. I wasn\'t buying \"custom\", and Henry isn\'t selling it. Frankly, if some translators are so desperate that they will buy anything, that\'s not his fault.

As Ralf will tell you, I am not reluctant to criticize ProZ, but in this case, I think the criticism is unjustified.

Marc Prior MITI
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Super thing Jason! May 1, 2003

I have sent these two eMails to Jason after signing up on the page

\'German>Swedish, Tech/Engineering\':

--------------------------------------------

Dear Jason,

As one pays and as one wants viewers to observe the ad I think it wood be good if the ad stood out more clearly.

Suggestions:

1. Superimposition (replacing the selection box with a box the same size containing my ad)

2. Bli
... See more
I have sent these two eMails to Jason after signing up on the page

\'German>Swedish, Tech/Engineering\':

--------------------------------------------

Dear Jason,

As one pays and as one wants viewers to observe the ad I think it wood be good if the ad stood out more clearly.

Suggestions:

1. Superimposition (replacing the selection box with a box the same size containing my ad)

2. Blinking box or text (possible if we could write HTML in the box just as in the Profile page).

3. Larger box than the \'Freelancer text ads\'

4. Omission of \'Freelancer text ads\' when there is a paid ad to be displayed or displaying it at a distance from my ad (=lower down)

---------------------------------------------

Dear Jason,

Why shouldn\'t one be able to pay for impressions with BrowniZ?

Suggestion: 1/6 of (USD 20/USD 120): 1/6 of 12000 BrowniZ = 2000 BrowniZ for 400 impressions

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:00
English to German
+ ...
Finally a good use for Platinum BrowniZ.. May 1, 2003

.. if this will be implemented 1:1  

Quote:

Giovanni wrote:

.. We are already paying for advertising ..

This is already the base for the \"Featured Pro\" feature, which I hope to be continued.

[ This Message was edited by: Harry_B on 2003-05-01 22:57]

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:00
Italian to English
+ ...
I doubt this would affect kudoz. May 2, 2003

The vast majority of queries I get from proz.com come from emails sent out to the top 100 kudoz ranked translators in my pairs.

Put yourself in an agency\'s shoes. Would you find if more helpful to click on a single text ad, or choose from the responses you might receive after sending out 100 emails?

While I think that text ads might give individual translators more exposure, so to speak (and even then - I believe it would only be exposure to colleages - I truly don\'t think
... See more
The vast majority of queries I get from proz.com come from emails sent out to the top 100 kudoz ranked translators in my pairs.

Put yourself in an agency\'s shoes. Would you find if more helpful to click on a single text ad, or choose from the responses you might receive after sending out 100 emails?

While I think that text ads might give individual translators more exposure, so to speak (and even then - I believe it would only be exposure to colleages - I truly don\'t think agencies are going to bother to click on text ads), I doubt it would bring in much in the way of income.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-05-01 22:50, 1964 wrote:

Proz.com is ranked according to Kudoz points in respective fields.

Any such Ad text selling will end Kudoz game. But anyone having lower kudoz may like it since it is a chance to climb to the top.

So anyone paying 20 USD will have priority?

Even over platinum membership! or those having higher Kudoz. So those paying 20 USD will be pushed before a client for some ununderstandable reason breaching all established practice ?

Will it provide professionalism then replacing higher Kudoz with a 20 USD payer?

There are many negative aspects.

In short for this new feature \"Marginal Cost >Marginal Benefit\"

[ This Message was edited by: Rick Henry on 2003-05-02 05:19]

[ This Message was edited by: Rick Henry on 2003-05-02 05:20]

[ This Message was edited by: Rick Henry on 2003-05-02 05:29] ▲ Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
dedicated section for ads? May 2, 2003

I can understand the objections put forwards by the colleagues, and I can also see how an ad might be seen as useful.

A possible solution would be to do what newspapers do: limit the ads to a specific classified ad section.

The ads are kept in an \"Adverts\" page, which has good visibility but is not mixed up with the search page; it could have it\'s own search facility and/or a link from the search&results page could take you to related ads.

I think this could be
... See more
I can understand the objections put forwards by the colleagues, and I can also see how an ad might be seen as useful.

A possible solution would be to do what newspapers do: limit the ads to a specific classified ad section.

The ads are kept in an \"Adverts\" page, which has good visibility but is not mixed up with the search page; it could have it\'s own search facility and/or a link from the search&results page could take you to related ads.

I think this could be a cleaner and clearer solution.

Roberta
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
What...? May 2, 2003

Quote:

Will it provide professionalism then replacing higher Kudoz with a 20 USD payer?

What have KudoZ got to do with professionalism?

What have 20 USD got to do with professionalism?

The answer to both questions is the same.

Marc

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Agency Directory Text Ads now available May 7, 2003

The ProZ.com Agency Directory now supports Directory Text Ads as well. Members identifying themselves as agencies may run text ads in this directory; they may not run text ads in the Freelancer directory.

See the info page for details.

Regards,

jg

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Trade BrowniZ for Directory Text Ad impressions May 7, 2003

At the request of many, I\'ve added the ability for Platinum members to trade BrowniZ for Directory Text Ad impressions. The rate is 10 BrowniZ per impression in the Freelancer Directory, and 50 BrowniZ per impression in the Agency Directory. See the FAQ for more information.

Regards,

jg

Svetlana (X)
Svetlana (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Relative value... Jun 1, 2003

Talking about various options for advertising, I wonder how do various options compare, in your opinion. E.g. Platinum membership vs. Yellow Pages, as in Marc's case, or whether you find that number Kudoz points reflects on the amount of work you get?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(STAFF) New feature: Directory Text Ads

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »