What is a proprietary translation production platform?
Thread poster: Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
German to English
Aug 2, 2008

Hi,

This is regarding the survey that is currently posted on the home page, asking us which company provides the best propietary translation production platform. I should probably know what that is, but I'm afraid I'm not too sure. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Niraja

[Edited at 2008-08-02 13:22]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's clear now Aug 2, 2008

The wording of the question has now been changed with an explanation, so it's clear now. Sorry for the stupid question, and thanks for the clarification.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Please tell ... Aug 2, 2008

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

The wording of the question has now been changed with an explanation, so it's clear now. Sorry for the stupid question, and thanks for the clarification.

So what is this soi-disant platform? Please do tell. The survey has disappeared from my screen, presumably because I tried to answer it by asking what it meant. I don't think it's "stupid" to ask for explanations of what one doesn't know ...

The translation now standing at proprietary platform 4 is the desperately urgent set of annual accounts of Dreary & Dull Inc, required at 4:00 am yesterday morning. Translators are advised not to leave any unattended dictionaries on the platform or they will be immediately destroyed ... both the dictionaries and the translators.

Best wishes,
Jenny

[Edited at 2008-08-02 14:51]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Me, too Aug 2, 2008

I also answered the survey with that question...I didn't know what they were talking about. Sorry I can't enlighten you, the survey has disappeared from my home page, too.

Amy

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:42
SITE FOUNDER
Sorry! Aug 2, 2008

The initial explanation of the survey was confusing, as was the survey itself. Thanks to you, Amy, Jenny and the handful of other early respondents who called attention to that.

I rewrote the home page explanation as follows:
Which company's translation production platform is best?

Some translation companies now require that translators work on proprietary translation management systems (such as Idiom WorldServer, LanguageDirector, GlobalLink, etc.)
... See more
The initial explanation of the survey was confusing, as was the survey itself. Thanks to you, Amy, Jenny and the handful of other early respondents who called attention to that.

I rewrote the home page explanation as follows:
Which company's translation production platform is best?

Some translation companies now require that translators work on proprietary translation management systems (such as Idiom WorldServer, LanguageDirector, GlobalLink, etc.) Have you used any? Which is best?

Jenny and Amy, since you submitted a response once, the link to the survey no longer appears. Hope you don't miss it too much. Dreary & Dull stuff anyway...
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:42
English to Greek
+ ...
It is still... Chinese to me! Aug 2, 2008

I obviously can't say "Greek", because I am Greek...

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No problem! Aug 2, 2008

Jenny and Amy, since you submitted a response once, the link to the survey no longer appears. Hope you don't miss it too much. Dreary & Dull stuff anyway...

I won't miss it, because I've never heard of Idiom WorldServer, LanguageDirector, GlobalLink, etc.!

Amy

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Their own stuff Aug 2, 2008

Just to check I've got it right:

AFAIK, proprietary translation management systems means that an agency/outsourcer has their own software/CAT tool they want their translators to work with.
Often, these are online tools and you're obliged to work with them if you want any jobs from these agencies. Logoport is another example.

Most of the time, contracted translators are given access to these tools for free. That's the upside- you don't have to make any investement.
... See more

AFAIK, proprietary translation management systems means that an agency/outsourcer has their own software/CAT tool they want their translators to work with.
Often, these are online tools and you're obliged to work with them if you want any jobs from these agencies. Logoport is another example.

Most of the time, contracted translators are given access to these tools for free. That's the upside- you don't have to make any investement. There are also many downsides, but I won't go into that now.

At least, this is what I had in mind when I answered the survey.

Which is, by the way, the third or fourth survey I've answered this week. Looks like that August newsletter is going to be very interesting
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Exactly Aug 2, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Most of the time, contracted translators are given access to these tools for free. That's the upside- you don't have to make any investement. There are also many downsides, but I won't go into that now.

At least, this is what I had in mind when I answered the survey.

Which is, by the way, the third or fourth survey I've answered this week. Looks like that August newsletter is going to be very interesting

--------------------------------------------
I will mention some downsides:

-skimpy, rushed training,
-memory resides in the outsourcer server, not always current, forcing you to often go back and fix after update has taken place;
-memory keeps several versions of the same text (maybe because the outsourcer never finds the time to clean it) making it difficult to be consistent, thus text suggested may not be the most adequate;
-sloooooowwww;
-sometimes the text segmentation is not a linguisitcally logical unit, forcing you to read through several segments before starting to translate, otherwise by the time you reach the last segment you realize the translation is wrong.

If you have to work online versus downloading the file to your computer, the outsourcer can track the time you spend on the translation, even the idle time.

In my opinion, the upside is for the outsourcer, who controls everything all the time.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Downsides contd. Aug 2, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote:
-memory resides in the outsourcer server, not always current, forcing you to often go back and fix after update has taken place;
-memory keeps several versions of the same text (maybe because the outsourcer never finds the time to clean it) making it difficult to be consistent, thus text suggested may not be the most adequate;

If there is a memory...
Last time I got talked into working with a such thing, it was simply an application to enter text into. Never again...

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the response Aug 3, 2008

Margreet's explanation is the best. That's how I understand it too.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Margreet! Aug 3, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Thanks for taking the time. There may be one or two more yet... but you don't have to answer them all!

I am away from the office for two months, and we're about to start our series of August (Latin America) and October (Europe) conferences. I am using the time to gather data and plan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a proprietary translation production platform?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »