Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Number of participants in the ProZ.com Certified PRO network surpasses one thousand
Thread poster: Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 07:10
SITE STAFF
Nov 7, 2008

Dear ProZ.com Community,

Thanks to your participation, the number of translators admitted into the Certified PRO network surpassed one thousand this week. This was regarded as a level at which experimentation in new forms of collaboration could begin.

Currently, all submitted applications have been either processed, or are still being reviewed and will be processed as soon as possible.

The community is invited to continue to apply at the following URL add
... See more
Dear ProZ.com Community,

Thanks to your participation, the number of translators admitted into the Certified PRO network surpassed one thousand this week. This was regarded as a level at which experimentation in new forms of collaboration could begin.

Currently, all submitted applications have been either processed, or are still being reviewed and will be processed as soon as possible.

The community is invited to continue to apply at the following URL address: http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info

Please feel free to look over the ProZ.com Certified PRO network FAQs at http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/faq or contact a staff member via support request if you have particular questions which have not been covered there or in the program description.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

P.S. Many of you have emailed me personally about the network; please know that I do plan on responding to your emails soon:)
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:10
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good news Nov 7, 2008

I know there are out there many more potential thousands. Hopefully many more participate and strengthen this network.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 06:10
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
the point of P Nov 8, 2008

Frankly I hardly see a point of having a network (ProZ Certified PRO) over the existing network (ProZ). Just to get a nice red letter P?
I mean if someone is working professionally for years as a translator and has his work recognized by clients and peers - he is a translator; if he also holds a relevant recognized degree and/or a certification from some recognized translators' association - he is certified.
ProZ is not a professional translators association - it is a virtual hub, a
... See more
Frankly I hardly see a point of having a network (ProZ Certified PRO) over the existing network (ProZ). Just to get a nice red letter P?
I mean if someone is working professionally for years as a translator and has his work recognized by clients and peers - he is a translator; if he also holds a relevant recognized degree and/or a certification from some recognized translators' association - he is certified.
ProZ is not a professional translators association - it is a virtual hub, a website for language lovers, then why would someone want a certification from a website...

Probably someone can explain the reasons to me.

Elías Sauza wrote:

I know there are out there many more potential thousands. Hopefully many more participate and strengthen this network.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
My special thanks to the staff Nov 8, 2008

Patrick Dotterer wrote:

Dear ProZ.com Community,

Thanks to your participation, the number of translators admitted into the Certified PRO network surpassed 1000 this week. Currently, all submitted applications have been either processed, or are still being reviewed and will be processed as soon as possible

It was a great move, thanks a lot for the huge work.

[Edited at 2008-11-09 09:03]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I thought... Nov 9, 2008

we weren't allow to discuss the Certified PRO scheme...

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
The point of ProZ Certified Nov 9, 2008

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

If I understood Henry's reasoning in his early messages on the scheme, the main point of certification is to flag *on ProZ * translators with a reasonably credible track record and distinguish them visually from neophytes, wannabes, students and others who register with the site.

I don't think Proz certification is intended to supplant other existing schemes. It would need to be a bit more rigorous if it had any such aspirations

Giovanni Guarnieri wrote:

I thought... we weren't allow to discuss the Certified PRO scheme...

Only until the scheme went public, Giovanni.

FWIW

Giles

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I thought... Nov 9, 2008

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I was under the impression that only the admission procedure is forbidden to discuss. The programme itself is still fair game, if I understand correctly.

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
good news or bad news? Nov 10, 2008

I don't know if a high number of Proz certified translator is good news or bad news.
Good - there are a lot of qualified language professionals in our virtual work place
Bad - the program is not strict enough.

We'll see.

Paola

[Edited at 2008-11-10 09:10]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Why would the program be strict? Nov 10, 2008

Paola Dentifrigi wrote:

I don't know if a high number of Proz certified translator is good news or bad news.
Good - there are a lot of qualified language professionals in our virtual work place
Bad - the program is not strict enough.

We'll see.

Paola

[Edited at 2008-11-10 09:10]

Looking at all those who are displaying the P, I get the impression that the idea of the program is to give the to as many people as possible, not to select only a few individuals. The site has always been adamantly anti-elitist so it would be surprising to see a site-wide and site-restricted badge given only to a very limited number of paying members.
Opinion from a-free Pro member

ps. @ Giles: I am not a neophyte, wannabe or student but I am a pro translator who isn't applying for a P . Does that mean I am being automatically classified as just a (paying) 'other'?

[Edited at 2008-11-10 18:51]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Comment no longer applies Nov 10, 2008

Removed by me as the rule has been re-worded, possibly to close the very loophole I mentioned in the original posting

[Edited at 2008-11-10 10:50]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
probably Nov 10, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I was under the impression that only the admission procedure is forbidden to discuss. The programme itself is still fair game, if I understand correctly.

I think you are right, but I can't find the discussion locked by one the moderators anymore...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
found it... Nov 10, 2008

here's the link...

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/119140-a_couple_of_questions_about_the_certified_pro_program-page6.html#985573

yes, we are not allowed to discuss the screening process... the rest is ok.

[Edited at 2008-11-10 11:46]

Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 07:10
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
More Certified PRO network FAQs have been added Nov 11, 2008

Dear Vladimir,

ProZ is not a professional translators association - it is a virtual hub, a website for language lovers, then why would someone want a certification from a website...

More Certified PRO network FAQs have been added to the following page, based on questions raised here and via the support system: http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/faq
Please take a look at them, since most of them should address your comments above. However, if you have a specific question about the network you may post here or use the support request that was created when you originally applied for the Certified PRO network. You can find this support request if you do not have the link by going to the "My ProZ.com" tab, "My support tickets".

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of participants in the ProZ.com Certified PRO network surpasses one thousand

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »