Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Moderator program changes: "sounding board" role now left to general members, term to be one year
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ah... Mar 3, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
who decided?
the site's staff?

Yes, I did.

got fed up with all those whinging moderators?

The Gadfly

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:55
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
How cute :) Mar 3, 2009

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:

I am also a moderator in a well behaved community. My job is similar to Christine's and also to inform new members why they don't get KudoZ just for agreeing with an answer.

Some days ago, and this is recurrent, I was contacted by someone who had chosen the wrong answer and asked me if I could solve the problem. I did. I got a lot of "thank yous".

And that is my pay. To be thanked for helping others with small problems. As I was helped when I came to ProZ.com in 2002.

That's really nice of you, to tell people what they could actually read in FAQ themselves

As a member, though, I'd rather prefer to have a group who would help me with bigger problems as well, for example by yelling before sorting translators in the directory by rate went live or who would know that "hostess" is not a language job and it's not enough to change the title to "host/hostess" to make it looking better

Magda

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:55
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Getting warmed up, Giovanni? Mar 3, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
got fed up with all those whinging moderators?

Are you kidding? I gotta think you and the rest of the team out here in the public forums will be perfectly capable of matching, and exceeding, any "whinging" the moderators have done.
The Gadfly

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:55
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
The need for moderators is growing Mar 3, 2009

xxxTTV wrote:
Well, now that moderators have spent years for free making this site a successul business, it's time to get rid of them !

I cannot grasp your logic xxxTTV. "Spent years for free" meaning what?
One would think that we have got free rides of some sort. That is definitely not the case. We have all paid our way, even the trips and other costs for moderator meetings.

The everyday load is very different among us, depending on the size and activity of the respective sub-community or forum we moderate, but it has definitely not been a zero-minute job for any of us.

The success of the site is no reason to "get rid of" moderators. They are more needed than ever, simply because the number of users continue to grow.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
That is unfair, Magda Mar 3, 2009

Magda Dziadosz wrote:
That's really nice of you, to tell people what they could actually read in FAQ themselves

That is uncalled for, Magda. You decided the narrower role is not for you, and I respect that decision. But it is not nice of you to belittle in this way those who have stayed on to help others.
As a member, though, I'd rather prefer to have a group who would help me with bigger problems as well, for example by yelling before sorting translators in the directory by rate went live or who would know that "hostess" is not a language job and it's not enough to change the title to "host/hostess" to make it looking better

How funny that you think "regular" members are not capable of handling that.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Mats Mar 3, 2009

Mats Wiman wrote:

xxxTTV wrote:
Well, now that moderators have spent years for free making this site a successul business, it's time to get rid of them !

I cannot grasp your logic xxxTTV. "Spent years for free" meaning what?
One would think that we have got free rides of some sort. That is definitely not the case. We have all paid our way, even the trips and other costs for moderator meetings.

Mats, as you can see from the "xxx", TTV has deleted his profile so he won't be able to reply to you. In any case, I think you misunderstood. He meant "moderators have spent years making this site a successful business without being paid". I think everyone knows that this was a volunteer job.

Maria

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Access to internal information by regular members? Mar 3, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

As a member, though, I'd rather prefer to have a group who would help me with bigger problems as well, for example by yelling before sorting translators in the directory by rate went live

How funny that you think "regular" members are not capable of handling that.

Henry, are you saying that from now on, regular members will have access to pre-release information about features, beta-testing, etc., and will be able to give input - I mean real input, that may influence decisions BEFORE they are made? Are you saying that new features, changes to existing features, etc. may be reconsidered or even withdrawn before going live based on the feedback from regular members?
If yes, hurray!

I am asking this because I am not sure you noticed the "before" in Magda's post. I think that was an important word there.

Katalin

[Edited at 2009-03-03 18:00 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Dedicated teams of members Mar 3, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Henry, are you saying that from now on, regular members will have access to pre-release information about features, beta-testing, etc., and will be able to give input - I mean real input, that may influence decisions BEFORE they are made? Are you saying that new features, changes to existing features, etc. may be reconsidered or even withdrawn before going live based on the feedback from regular members?
If yes, hurray!

Hi Katalin,

Dedicated teams of members can be assembled for beta testing or definition of certain features. This has been done before. For instance the Glossary Building KudoZ were developed with the help of a team of members, with very good results.

Regards,
Enrique

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:55
SITE STAFF
Thanks all, locking thread Mar 3, 2009

Hello all,

Thank you to those who have posted. I am locking this thread as the topic seems to be drifting from Henry's original announcement. Thanks for the understanding.

Best regards,

Jared

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moderator program changes: "sounding board" role now left to general members, term to be one year

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »