Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >
Should the "P" symbol be for internal eyes only?
Thread poster: Paul Cohen
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:34
English to German
+ ...
Only 2,200 applications??? Mar 16, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Out of 2200 applications, about 700 have not been accepted. In other words, about two-thirds get accepted and one-third does not.

On the other hand, there may be 60,000 - 80,000 'active' profiles today

Hi Henry,

thanks a lot for this valuable information.
I am more than surprised to read that with approximately 200,000 users/members or 60,000 - 80,000 'active' profiles only 2,200 translators have participated in the ProZ Certified PRO programme. I wonder why? No, not really...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:34
SITE FOUNDER
Response to Paul Mar 16, 2009

Paul Cohen wrote:
Does this mean that it would currently make very little difference in terms of the actual number of profile hits for network members if the P badge were removed from the directory?

I would look at it both ways: that the thing is there right now makes relatively little difference to everyone - expect the people who want to use it, and the people they are finding using it! In other words, to those not interested in the program, the impact is trivial.

Ok, signing off...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:34
SITE FOUNDER
Don't jump to conclusions, Aniello Mar 16, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
I am more than surprised to read that with approximately 200,000 users/members or 60,000 - 80,000 'active' profiles only 2,200 translators have participated in the ProZ Certified PRO programme. I wonder why? No, not really...

Well, I would not read into it. Believe it or not, 2,200 is a lot of members to do anything in less than a year. Consider that in one instance, when a free trip was being given away, we had to draw a series of five winners just to get one to take it! (Of course it was sort of short notice that time.)

OK, really, out of here now.

PRen (X)
PRen (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:34
French to English
+ ...
By way of comparison Mar 16, 2009

Henry D wrote:

efreitag wrote:
Henry D wrote:
To be clear, folks: most people without the P have not applied for it!

But that means that pretty much everyone who applied was awarded the "P".

No it doesn't. Out of 2200 applications, about 700 have not been accepted. In other words, about two-thirds get accepted and one-third does not.

On the other hand, there may be 60,000 - 80,000 'active' profiles today (out of about a quarter of a million ever registered, depending on how you define 'active'.) Therefore, the odds of a random profile without the P having applied and been denied are about 700/80k, or less than 1%.

Those are very different stats from other translator certification bodies - I believe the Canadian average is about a 20% PASS rate, so you're getting very different results.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
This just in Mar 16, 2009

I connected a colleague in my language pair with one of my most cherished clients because I was booked up to my eyeballs. Not everybody does that. I am not interested in making money by forwarding jobs that won't fit into my schedule, even if I create competition. I do it anyway to keep my clients happy.

I just received a panicky phone call from my client - this P-badge-adorned colleague just stood up my client. By 3 days.

So, what was that again about the P-badge and
... See more
I connected a colleague in my language pair with one of my most cherished clients because I was booked up to my eyeballs. Not everybody does that. I am not interested in making money by forwarding jobs that won't fit into my schedule, even if I create competition. I do it anyway to keep my clients happy.

I just received a panicky phone call from my client - this P-badge-adorned colleague just stood up my client. By 3 days.

So, what was that again about the P-badge and good citizenship?

Explain.

I have never been so embarrassed. But, hey, the translator has a P-badge!
Collapse

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 08:34
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Business reliability! Mar 16, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Explain.

Ouch! Sounds like a problem with the business reliability part of the program, Nicole. I'd say your client should be given an opportunity to report directly to ProZ.com if he/she is dissatisfied with a P badge holder.

See my proposal on the parallel thread: http://www.proz.com/post/1081628#1081628

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Spanish to English
P badge = incompetent charlatan??? Mar 17, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Explain.

What are you trying to insinuate with this comment? That all of us with P badges are unreliable? Do you know the reasons why the translator you recommended has pulled out (at the last minute? I don't understand your "by 3 days" remark. Do you mean there are still 3 days to go to the deadline? And if so, is that enough time to find someone else to do the job?). Have you personally, and everybody else out there who is accusing those of us with P badges of being incompetent charlatans, never ever come across someone with ATA, IOL, ITI, etc., certification, or with a language degree, who has failed to live up to your idea of a true translation professional?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Fri - Mon Mar 17, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

I don't understand your "by 3 days" remark. Do you mean there are still 3 days to go to the deadline?

I daresay the job was due on Friday, it is now Monday (still Monday in the US), and is therefore 3 days late.

I didn't see any universal insinuation, FWIW. Just a comment that someone who has been investigated and passed as working with good business practices has now fallen short of that standard.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Why the sarcasm then? Mar 17, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I didn't see any universal insinuation, FWIW. Just a comment that someone who has been investigated and passed as working with good business practices has now fallen short of that standard.

Thanks Charlie, but if this was really just about one isolated individual, then Nicole should have submitted a support ticket, rather than making a public announcement with what sounds like a good dash of sarcasm.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hold your horses, Nikki. Mar 17, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

What are you trying to insinuate with this comment? That all of us with P badges are unreliable? Do you know the reasons why the translator you recommended has pulled out (at the last minute? I don't understand your "by 3 days" remark. Do you mean there are still 3 days to go to the deadline? And if so, is that enough time to find someone else to do the job?). Have you personally, and everybody else out there who is accusing those of us with P badges of being incompetent charlatans, never ever come across someone with ATA, IOL, ITI, etc., certification, or with a language degree, who has failed to live up to your idea of a true translation professional?

And be very careful about what you are saying, BTW. Especially in regard to "insinuating", okay? This is getting personal and I don't like this tone.

BTW, the translator didn't "pull out". He started his work last week (a few hundred words, BTW), agreed to everything and turned out to be unreliable by his own choice.

Who is "those of us with P badges"?

Who are the "others"?

Who is accusing "one of you" of being a charlatan?

"My idea of a true translation professional"?

Good grief.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Please explain then Mar 17, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

BTW, the translator didn't "pull out". He started his work last week (a few hundred words, BTW), agreed to everything and turned out to be unreliable by his own choice.

What exactly is the problem then? Did this person complete the assignement or not?
Why did he turn out to be unreliable? Please do not publicly trash a P badge translator without substantiating your comments.

[Edited at 2009-03-17 01:32 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Let's not get the thread locked Mar 17, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:
Thanks Charlie, but if this was really just about one isolated individual, then Nicole should have submitted a support ticket, rather than making a public announcement with what sounds like a good dash of sarcasm.

I think the point was to illustrate a failure in the system, which has failed to detect an individual who has subsequently failed to deliver on time.
It would be a massive leap and a logical flaw to think that anyone is assuming or insinuating all "P" people are the liable to do the same.

But it would be a pity, IMVHO, if this side issue detracted from what has been a very interesting thread thus far and caused the thread to get locked. As you imply, keeping the discussion general rather than focussing on individual cases would probably be more fruitful.

Altho I suppose, in keeping with the "internal eyes" topic, and I have wondered before (in a previous, now locked, thread), it might be worth thinking about if and how an "ex-P" (was a "P", has misbehaved, and now isn't a "P") is shown.

[Edited at 2009-03-17 01:44 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Your explanation, dear Nikki Mar 17, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

What exactly is the problem then? Did this person complete the assignement or not?
Why did he turn out to be unreliable? Please do not publicly trash a P badge translator without substantiating your comments.

[Edited at 2009-03-17 01:32 GMT]

A translator agreed to translate a few hundred words on March 10th. I am not involved in this process whatsoever. The client however has been a regular of mine for years. Today, on March 16th, the client called me to notify me that the work still hasn't been delivered.

I hope I could satisfy your curiosity now.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Why failure in the system? Mar 17, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I think the point was to illustrate a failure in the system, which has failed to detect an individual who has subsequently failed to deliver on time.

If this is the first time said translator has failed (and I'm still waiting for exact details from Nicole about this alleged failure), how was the system supposed to recognise this? And, consequently, how has the system failed (if this is the first instance)?

It would be a massive leap and a logical flaw to think that anyone is assuming or insinuating all "P" people are the liable to do the same.

Yes, perhaps I am just being a tad oversensitive to how this scenario was portrayed.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
No, still confused Mar 17, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A translator agreed to translate a few hundred words on March 10th. I am not involved in this process whatsoever. The client however has been a regular of mine for years. Today, on March 16th, the client called me to notify me that the work still hasn't been delivered.

I hope I could satisfy your curiosity now.

Sorry, but no, I am still confused about the details because you have not, IMHO, presented this in a very clear manner. And if you are going to accuse someone of misconduct (which is, I assume, what you are doing publicly), then the details should be clear.

I would also appreciate it if you would not use "dear Nikki" as it comes across as rather patronising.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should the "P" symbol be for internal eyes only?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »