In the end, what (this site) will really need is "a moderator for administrative simplification"
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
Flemish to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2009

Much ado about moderators.
There used to be a time when there were NO moderators and NO kudoz.
The only difference back then was that members were acting like little children (look how great I am and look how bad the others are), were waging flame wars, calling each other names, ....

Then the moderators were introduced (2001 or 2002?). Some have become well-known figures on the Proz.com forum stage.

In 2005, Proz's offices moved to Argentina and new staff
... See more
The only difference back then was that members were acting like little children (look how great I am and look how bad the others are), were waging flame wars, calling each other names, ....

Then the moderators were introduced (2001 or 2002?). Some have become well-known figures on the Proz.com forum stage.

In 2005, Proz's offices moved to Argentina and new staff was hired. New staff meant also a lot of new rules. So much rules and regulations that you need a manual and a day to read and understand them all.

I am wondering if all those rules and regulations are really necessary.
Nowadays, you can't see the trees in the wood.
Rule for this, symbol for that "you are V(id), N(atived), P(eed), (S)tarred, (P)aying Member, (C)orporate Member, etc...

In the end, what you will really need is "a moderator for Administratative Simplification".

The moderators: well, I look(ed) at the word '"moderator" underneath their names, but if they were there or not, to me "the song remains the same". At times they send me a "sympathetic" email, saying that I broke Rule XYZ...

But whether that word was there or not, I clicked on profiles I thought "hé, interesting person or interesting language combination/skills/education", not because the word "moderator" appeared.

[Edited at 2009-03-17 10:30 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-17 10:48 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-18 11:13 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:47
SITE FOUNDER
Probably true Mar 17, 2009

Williamson wrote:
In the end, what you will really need is "a moderator for Administratative Simplification".

Interesting way of putting it, Williamson. Maybe so. As the site has grown, the need to focus on keeping things simple has become more apparent.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
I don't think so Mar 17, 2009

Williamson wrote:

And no forums and no glossaries and no polls and no training courses and no members. Sure.

The only difference back then was that members were acting like little children (look how great I am and look how bad the others are)
uote]

That was the only difference? Oh, and all these years I thought moderators were actually making important contributions to the site and the community... like, I don't know, giving feedback to staff on suggested features, proposing new features or changes to the site, brainstorming on new ways to improve proz.com, organizing glossaries in the database, checking outsourcers' history and vetting job offers, keeping forums advertisement-free, moving topics to the most appropriate forums, reclassifying kudoz questions, providing guidance to new users about this site and our profession in general...
If you think that moderators' main task was to prevent people from acting like little children, you are seriously mistaken.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
? Mar 17, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Williamson wrote:

Interesting way of putting it, Williamson. Maybe so. As the site has grown, the need to focus on keeping things simple has become more apparent.

What does this mean? This is a very general statement. So there is a need to keep things simple. What things?
The ones Williamson listed? "Rule for this, symbol for that "you are V(id), N(atived), P(eed), (S)tarred, (P)aying Member, (C)orporate Member, etc..."
Or only the part that you cited, re. moderators?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
KISS Mar 17, 2009

Maria Karra wrote:

Williamson wrote:

And no forums and no glossaries and no polls and no training courses and no members. Sure.

The only difference back then was that members were acting like little children (look how great I am and look how bad the others are)
uote]

That was the only difference? Oh, and all these years I thought moderators were actually making important contributions to the site and the community... like, I don't know, giving feedback to staff on suggested features, proposing new features or changes to the site, brainstorming on new ways to improve proz.com, organizing glossaries in the database, checking outsourcers' history and vetting job offers, keeping forums advertisement-free, moving topics to the most appropriate forums, reclassifying kudoz questions, providing guidance to new users about this site and our profession in general...
If you think that moderators' main task was to prevent people from acting like little children, you are seriously mistaken.

Although I always voice my opinion, I would not be unhappy if there were no polls. Isn't developping new features the task of staff, rather than of moderators.
Aren't members adult enough to voice their ideas. Most non-virtual corporations have their "idea boxes". It would not be a bad idea to add one here, evaluate ideas and put them into programming/translate them into features.

Providing guidance to new users is superfluous if everything is kept "KISS"* and functional.
Compare it to Office2003 and 2007. Office 2003 had so many functions on the menu that Microsoft decided to overhaul its business-suite.
The result: Ofifce 2007 is MUCH more user friendly and intuitive in its use.
Seriously, do you have an entire day to read everything on this site or a manual of this site.
I haven't.

The idea for a moderator from administrative simplification is based upon an example : A certain country had so much bureaucracy, rules and regulations that a post of Minister of Adminstrative Simplifcation was created to do away with Kafka-like situations.

*KISS: Keep it Short and Simple.

[Edited at 2009-03-17 12:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-18 11:24 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
It is a real problem Mar 18, 2009

Williamson wrote:
Seriously, do you have an entire day to read everything on this site or a manual of this site.
I haven't.

... A certain country had so much bureaucracy, rules and regulation that a post of Minister of Adminstrative Simplifcation was created to do away with Kafka-like situations.

You've got a point there. In fact, I've recently outlined a staff role not entirely unlike that. Yesterday, for example, two menu items under "Directory" ("students" and "student search") were combined into one.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:47
English to French
+ ...
PHP Mar 18, 2009

Hi guys, I have a hunch that the site is getting more complex not because of an architectural will, but because it is technically possible.

It reminds me of the early days when I began installing PHP Content Management Systems, and there were all those modules, and I clicked on "Activate" like an addict, and my sites soon looked like a Christmas tree, with all the blinking lights and stuff.

Beware of PHP. PHP can grow like weeds on your site.

There are thre
... See more
Hi guys, I have a hunch that the site is getting more complex not because of an architectural will, but because it is technically possible.

It reminds me of the early days when I began installing PHP Content Management Systems, and there were all those modules, and I clicked on "Activate" like an addict, and my sites soon looked like a Christmas tree, with all the blinking lights and stuff.

Beware of PHP. PHP can grow like weeds on your site.

There are three methods to counter this:

1) Appoint someone to hold a gun on the developer's head, so that he sweats before implementing any new feature. But it is a bit violent.

2) Scour every nook and cranny of the site to remove anything unnecessary. It can look ridiculous when you consider the one detail being removed, but on the whole it pays.

3) Arrange features so that they will appear only to the user who wishes them.

There are principles already commonly accepted. Many were already classical at the time of pure HTML websites.

It just takes time.

Williamson wrote:
Compare it to Office2003 and 2007. Office 2003 had so many functions on the menu that Microsoft decided to overhaul its business-suite.
The result: Ofifce 2007 is MUCH more user friendly and intuitive in its use.

I remained with Office 2003 for the same reason. Not even tried to install Vista either.

[Edited at 2009-03-18 13:19 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In the end, what (this site) will really need is "a moderator for administrative simplification"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »