Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Success !! Mar 20, 2009

Jared wrote:

Hi Jenny,

It looks like you are using an old site version which is no longer supported. If you click on the "Switch design" icon at the top or bottom of your page, you will be able to see the board as Mihai describes.

Best regards,

Jared

Thank you, Jared and Mihai. I didn't know about the new look. I've now switched and entered the (excellent) Council of Europe French-English Legal Dictionary.
Happy reading, all!
Jenny

Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Update (part 2) Mar 20, 2009

I sent 2 entries and noticed the following upon going through the process:

1) There is no field for attaching an image of the dictionary. See the following screenshots:

... See more

I sent 2 entries and noticed the following upon going through the process:

1) There is no field for attaching an image of the dictionary. See the following screenshots:

Just mentioning it in case you wish us to include that as well when we make the entry, and so you don't have to look for this later on. [Or maybe, to avoid using server space, the option to link to an existing Internet image of the dictionary.]

2) I am sure this is probably already considered, but it would be great to have a "preview" of the entry before we submit it, to see if we missed anything. That would also avoid the support team to have to check back by email with us.

3) I think it would be better to include the feedback comment field at the same time we post the entry, so when the support team has to vet/review the entry, they can OK everything at once.
Collapse

tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ ICL Mar 20, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the preview would be a great idea, and adding the feedback at the same time as the entry is created would also save a step.

About the images: I know that the ISBN search often brings up a picture of the book, if one is available; otherwise, the "no image available" statement appears. I don't know what the options you suggest would entail, so I'll leave that one to be evaluated by the developers.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ISBN 13 or ISBN 10? Mar 27, 2009

Apparently there is some problem in the system when using ISBN 13 numbers. Was the system designed for ISBN 10 numbers? Should we use numbers with the hyphens, as they are usually printed in the books?

I would appreciate it if someone in Proz's staff could double-check that ISBN 13 numbers are accepted, shown, and processed correctly by the system. Thanks a million!

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Need to include edition information! Mar 28, 2009

I was looking at the following entry for a dictionary I use often:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=resources/resources&sp_mode=view_resource&resource_id=68

and I noticed that there was no information on the edition reviewed. That is important in this case, because both volumes have undergone revision in recent years (each direction at diff
... See more

http://www.proz.com/?sp=resources/resources&sp_mode=view_resource&resource_id=68

and I noticed that there was no information on the edition reviewed. That is important in this case, because both volumes have undergone revision in recent years (each direction at different times), so comments I might make for my editions may not be relevant for the current ones.

Edited to add:

Given the market for used dictionaries, this is important - reviews of old editions may be very useful

[Edited at 2009-03-28 00:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely agree! Mar 28, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Given the market for used dictionaries, this is important - reviews of old editions may be very useful

I also see the need to include edition information somehow.

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Edition info in ISBN Mar 28, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

and I noticed that there was no information on the edition reviewed. That is important in this case, because both volumes have undergone revision in recent years (each direction at different times), so comments I might make for my editions may not be relevant for the current ones.

Edited to add:

Hi Kevin,

I agree that we need to have separate entries for different editions of the same resource. However, isn't that shown by the ISBN? Could you please check your version of the dictionary to see if it has the same ISBN as the record in the D&R Board, and if it doesn't, you should be able to add it with the different ISBN.

However, maybe we need to add a line in the record to make it very obvious which edition we are talking about so people don't get confused.

Thanks,

Nikki

5.1 General
A separate ISBN shall be assigned to each separate monographic publication or separate
edition of a monographic publication issued by a publisher. A separate ISBN shall be
assigned to each different language edition of a monographic publication. Where a
publication is made available to the public both individually and as part of a series, it shall
be regarded as two separate publications, each of which shall be assigned a separate
ISBN.
5.2 Changes to publications
A separate ISBN shall be assigned if there have been significant changes to any part or
parts of a publication. A separate ISBN shall be assigned if there has been a change to the
title of a publication. A change to the cover design or colour or to the price of a
monographic publication does not require a separate ISBN. Minor changes in an edition
(e.g., corrections to misprints) do not require a separate ISBN.

When a publication or product is updated, revised, or amended and the changes are
sufficiently substantial for the publication to be called a new edition, a separate ISBN
shall be assigned.
• A re-launch of an existing publication or product, even in new packaging, where there
is no significant difference in the performance of the new from the old product, does
not merit a separate ISBN. The existing ISBN shall continue to be used.

I am revising a book. Does it require a new ISBN?
A significant change of text requires a new ISBN. If revisions have been made it should
state on the verso of the title page that the book is a revised edition and the new ISBN
should be printed there.
Does a reprint without change of text or binding require a new ISBN?
No. The original number must be retained, provided the publisher and imprint remain the same.

http://www.isbn-international.org/en/download/2005%20ISBN%20Users'%20Manual%20International%20Edition.pdf

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Experiment Apr 1, 2009

OK, I've added a couple. And I have two questions:

1.) I presume there is vetting. How long does it take?

2.) Not hurrying you up (I know you guys are busy), but question 1 is related to question 2: Can I edit what I wrote? (Because after I had clicked the second time, I noticed "hardcover" on a paperback entry... sorry)

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Answers Apr 1, 2009

Parrot wrote:

OK, I've added a couple. And I have two questions:

1.) I presume there is vetting. How long does it take?

2.) Not hurrying you up (I know you guys are busy), but question 1 is related to question 2: Can I edit what I wrote? (Because after I had clicked the second time, I noticed "hardcover" on a paperback entry... sorry)

1. Difficult to say really, but I expect not usually more than 24 hours unless a problem is detected or none of us in the Admin team understand the language used (yes, that was a big hint for volunteers)

2. Editing your entries is supposed to be in the pipeline (as are many other improvements). I have changed the Kaplan entry for you to paperback (assuming that is the one you meant). Otherwise, please drop me a line and I'll fix it.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
P.S. for Parrot Apr 1, 2009

Could you tell me whether you get a confirmation email for both your entries and whether they arrive promptly? Thanks

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not yet Apr 1, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

Could you tell me whether you get a confirmation email for both your entries and whether they arrive promptly? Thanks

But as I said, it was an experiment.

And yes, the paperback entry was Kaplan's. Thanks.

I'll post back when I get the messages (if...).

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Have they arrived yet? Apr 1, 2009

Parrot wrote:

Nikki Graham wrote:

But as I said, it was an experiment.

And yes, the paperback entry was Kaplan's. Thanks.

I'll post back when I get the messages (if...).

Because I vetted your entries before posting here...

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope Apr 1, 2009

But I promise to say when

Rita Goncalves
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Happy! Apr 2, 2009

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoy this feature!

I am a Lexicographer and I am always looking for new dictionaries and books related to Lexicography...

Because of this new feature I've been visiting Proz.com even more!!

I am writing some articles on Lexicography, Terminology and Translation... I will check this reference board all the time!!

Thank you Proz.com,

Rita

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry, Nikki Apr 2, 2009

No notifications. I DO have a view of the vetted contributions now.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing the ProZ.com dictionary and reference board

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search