Germany
Local time: 03:23
English to German
+ ...
ProZ.com is a <b>commercial</b> website Mar 25, 2009

Hi Kemal,

your question is very easy to answer. Only one week ago ProZ CEO Henry said:

[...]
But there has not been a change in direction here. As evidence, in addition to what Drew has posted, I would say two things: first, as you know, the site has always been commercial; ProZ.com is a for-profit business. Second, as you may also know, the fees have not been raised in 8 years (despite the fact that services are added continuously.)

Our objective as
... See more
Hi Kemal,

your question is very easy to answer. Only one week ago ProZ CEO Henry said:

[...]
But there has not been a change in direction here. As evidence, in addition to what Drew has posted, I would say two things: first, as you know, the site has always been commercial; ProZ.com is a for-profit business. Second, as you may also know, the fees have not been raised in 8 years (despite the fact that services are added continuously.)

Our objective as a business is only to provide you, as a translator, with a valuable service at a good price.
[...]

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/130568-good_bye_to_all.html

Does this answer your question?
Why are you asking, by the way?
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about yours?? Mar 25, 2009

Why don't you make your voice be heard as well? What thoughts do you want to arise with this topic??

There are so many things to talk about, so many changes: features, moderator rules, kudoz, quoting, new tools such as invoicing, etc.

Where are you going, Proz?
Perhaps to provide better services and keep up to date with the latets trends...?

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 20:23
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
how about Mar 25, 2009

How about "business community")

But of course it's a community. However, I doubt it would be that numerous if no business opportunities for the members were presented.
I believe not so many members browse ProZ "just for fun")

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

Business or community?

Any thoughts? Make your voice heard!

TY!

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Just for fun Mar 25, 2009

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

I do.
I have been participating a lot in Kudoz, for several years now. I'm glad to help (and don't really know what Kudoz are for).
Other than that, I do not trust Proz at all for my business, it's far too open to the low-end and worst side of this market.
I'm not a member. I'm certified, but certainly not Proz-certified.

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Well of course, Mar 25, 2009

I most certainly do. It's midnight, I've put the jobs aside. I like to read what you all think. (Mostly anyway. ) Many people here know how to put the words, that makes it even more fun. Reading KudoZ can be nice without participating as well. Etcetera.
(Ok, I admit I've taken lots of stress from that little "just" in your quote.)

Edit: look at this! I've actually met my foreposter just for fun.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-25 23:10 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Just for fun Mar 25, 2009

Right on, Bohy, you said exactly what I would have said!

Of course, what's life without a little fun? Plus we learn.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:23
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
"certainly not ProZ(.com) certified"? Mar 26, 2009

hello "bohy",

bohy wrote:

I'm not a member. I'm certified, but certainly not Proz-certified.

How shall I understand your statement? Speculations are against forum rules, so I refrain from assuming anything. Would you expand on this at your earliest convenience? Thank you.

All members of the Certified PRO program in order to become such had to submit their qualifications and, if applicable, prove to be certified.

In a nutshell, the red P simply confirms that the memberships, certifications and diplomas and/or PhD, Masters or whatever qualifications indicated in profiles are for real. Definitely reassuring.

The Program doesn't offer any "certification". That is provided by authorized bodies and entities and associations. Of course, when first and family name are shown in a profile it is no problem to check whether a professional is certified. Whenever a nickname is used, which is absolutely legitimate on this site for whatever reason any user or member prefers to use a nick instead of his/her real name, I am sure you agree with me that it is pretty impossible to be sure upfront that the reported certification exists. The Certified PRO program offers that, simply confirms that X has Y and Z.

Regards

Giuliana

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:23
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, italengger Mar 26, 2009

Thank you, italengger, for quoting me. In addition, I like Vladimir 's suggestion of "business community".

A few other reactions to points raised in this thread:

* Lots of people use the site without being interested in meeting clients.
* There are lots of professionals at the high end of the market who do use ProZ.com as one more source of client flow.
* It is possible to get credentials verified without being in the Certified PRO Network. (Bohy, for exampl
... See more
Thank you, italengger, for quoting me. In addition, I like Vladimir 's suggestion of "business community".

A few other reactions to points raised in this thread:

* Lots of people use the site without being interested in meeting clients.
* There are lots of professionals at the high end of the market who do use ProZ.com as one more source of client flow.
* It is possible to get credentials verified without being in the Certified PRO Network. (Bohy, for example, has verified credentials.)

I would ask that any further postings stick to the original topic.
Collapse

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 04:23
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Agree Mar 26, 2009

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

How about "business community"

I think that's describes ProZ well.

I also often browse just for fun. Although I think that should my career develop into a situation where I didn't actively have to look for clients here, I would probably pretty much drop out. I help out colleagues on a mailing list for no personal gain whatsoever, which satisfies my need to, well, whatever is behind looking for KudoZ answers and the fora are really for slow days... As for being P certified, well, I will leave that can of worms alone here and anywhere else...

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Credential verification and the "P" program Mar 26, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

In a nutshell, the red P simply confirms that the memberships, certifications and diplomas and/or PhD, Masters or whatever qualifications indicated in profiles are for real. Definitely reassuring.

Hi Guiliana,
I don't think the statement above is exactly true.
I have seen "P" program members with unverified credentials listed in their profiles.
I am curious to know what the "P" means in those cases, in terms of credentials?

Katalin

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:23
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
all of them? Mar 26, 2009

Hi Katalin,

I'll be very short, as this is a partial OT: I can't speak for all cases, of course, but I presumed that the same principles were applied to all equally, as one would expect from a fair system: I had to submit my credentials for verification. I still have one credential not verified, but it's enough to search for my name in the online directory, so I am not considering it vital.

Do you mean that there are Ps with absolutely no verified credentials?? What abo
... See more
Hi Katalin,

I'll be very short, as this is a partial OT: I can't speak for all cases, of course, but I presumed that the same principles were applied to all equally, as one would expect from a fair system: I had to submit my credentials for verification. I still have one credential not verified, but it's enough to search for my name in the online directory, so I am not considering it vital.

Do you mean that there are Ps with absolutely no verified credentials?? What about asking in the relative forum?

Giuliana
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, that's what I meant Mar 26, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Do you mean that there are Ps with absolutely no verified credentials??

Yes, that's exactly what I meant: no verified credentials listed in the "Credentials" section of the profile.

I just mentioned this because you seemed to think that having at least one verified credential is a requirement for the P program, but apparently it is not true.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Credentials Mar 26, 2009

I'm not sure whether Giuliana's query is whether 1) Ps must have credentials and that these must be verified or 2) credentials are optional but any that are claimed must be verified, but I can confirm that it's not the first - I claim no credentials (or translation qualifications), verified or otherwise, and I am a P. So it's perfectly possible to enter the P programme with no reported credentials (obviously I went through the same screening and reference-providing procedure as everyone else).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quo vadis, proz?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »