Thread poster: Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:32
English to German
+ ...
Sep 5, 2003

Hello, Dear all!

I am using SDLX. Something has happened to my computer, and it is now unable to find the .exe File.

The license is registered currently, so I neither can register it through another computer.

I have a product CD, but when trying to reinstall the product, I am told that a password is required to enter the CD.

So I can't. Does anybody know where to find this "password", maybe in the documentation?

Support is urgently
... See more
Hello, Dear all!

I am using SDLX. Something has happened to my computer, and it is now unable to find the .exe File.

The license is registered currently, so I neither can register it through another computer.

I have a product CD, but when trying to reinstall the product, I am told that a password is required to enter the CD.

So I can't. Does anybody know where to find this "password", maybe in the documentation?

Support is urgently required, on monday I have to deliver.

Or would anybody be so kind to de-register for saturday-Sunday so that I could use her/his license as an exception after havingdownloaded an evaluation version from the SDL website.

Any suggestions and support very much appreciated, I am close to a heartattack.

May I kindly ask to reply to my mailbox?
Thank you all

Steffen

[Edited at 2003-09-05 23:09]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2003

[Edited at 2005-11-16 02:15]

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
PASSWORD FOR SDLX Sep 6, 2003

I suggest your download the demo from their Web site. They will send you a password. This will get you going until you sort things out.

Good luck!

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
download the Lite version Sep 6, 2003

Hi, Steffen.
the same thing happened to me a couple of months ago after a disk crash.
I downloaded the Lite version and worked with that until a got my licence key from SDLX Support. They were very quick about it, but as in your case I had a week-end ahead, and the Lite version kept me going.
Good luck,
Roberta

Steffen Pollex (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I really appreciate your responses Sep 6, 2003

Thank you all. This problem is solved noe. I downloaded the test version from their website and a code was provided to enable it.

But would you suppose that, once you get a setup CD for a software, the setup code would not be delivered with this CD?

Really annoying, it cost me a sleeepless night and several hours better spent on translating the text.

Now I have another problem: my PC gets stuck in the "Align" and "Export Files" modes. When I try to create
... See more
Thank you all. This problem is solved noe. I downloaded the test version from their website and a code was provided to enable it.

But would you suppose that, once you get a setup CD for a software, the setup code would not be delivered with this CD?

Really annoying, it cost me a sleeepless night and several hours better spent on translating the text.

Now I have another problem: my PC gets stuck in the "Align" and "Export Files" modes. When I try to create a TM from previous files (reagrdless whethet they are RTF, OTF etc., I get the message "application does not respond".

I suppose this might be due to insufficient RAM on my computer, and it's high time to buy a new one? Any suggestions?

Steffen

To Selcuk: these tools are not as "useless" as they seem to seem to you. Of course, we can get along with dictionaries and a pencil only, but why not to speed up our work?
Collapse

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:32
English to Bulgarian
I guess you need a reinstall anyway Sep 6, 2003

Steffen Pollex wrote:

It should be there somewhere, Steffen. I say, get in touch with SDL's tech support.

Now I have another problem: my PC gets stuck in the "Align" and "Export Files" modes.

Seems you've got something messed up - and not necessarily related to insufficient RAM. Most probably you'll need to reformat your C: drive and reinstall your OS and software from scratch. For frequently used Win PCs, this is useful to do once every 12-18 months. Plan a day for that, not just a few hours - plus a 'work-in' period of at least a week. Note: do NOT just reinstall Windows over a previous installation. This might solve some problems (by refreshing the main system files) but the mess actually remains, and will cause you headaches again, sooner or later. Speaking out of experience...

When I try to create a TM from previous files (reagrdless whethet they are RTF, OTF etc., I get the message "application does not respond".

Maybe the test version cannot create TMs? For instance, AFAIR SDLX Light cannot do that.

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
prelude to a hards disk crash? Sep 6, 2003

be careful Steffen and make sure your back-ups are up to date... the last time I had recurring problems with applications not responding and files getting corrupted, this was followed a few days later by a hard disk crash; some sectors had got damaged and this was causing these problems.
If you have it, run Norton Disk Doctor just to be on the safe side...

Steffen Pollex (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what I feared, the time is ripe for a new PC Sep 6, 2003

Thank you all.

Roberta Anderson wrote:

be careful Steffen and make sure your back-ups are up to date... the last time I had recurring problems with applications not responding and files getting corrupted, this was followed a few days later by a hard disk crash; some sectors had got damaged and this was causing these problems.
If you have it, run Norton Disk Doctor just to be on the safe side...

RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Useless? Sep 9, 2003

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

And finally, why don't you give up using all those expensive but "useless" programmes?
I suppose MS or open office or even any simple text editor (and last but not least, some dictionaries or dictionary softwares) are all we need. I really cannot see the benefits, if any, of all those softwares (e.g. CAT tools, adobe software, etc.)

Well, if you translate very repetitive texts or participate in big on-going projects this programs are certainly excellent if you make the most of them. It just depends on the kind and size of projects you usually work on. Believe me if I tell you that translating a 200k-word technical project with lots of different files would be crazy with Wordpad.

Apart from that, SDLX is also one of the cheapest ones around and it is as good as any other, particularly the latest releases.

Pamela Gallusser
Pamela Gallusser
Argentina
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
HOW TO COUNT FUZZY MATCHES IN SDLX LITE Nov 13, 2003

Hi, I am working with SDLX LITE. I have worked in the past with SDLX but with already existing TMs. This is the the first time I will have to create a TM and count repetitions and fuzzy matches for a project.
Can anybody give me a clue as regards how to do it?
Thanks,
Pamela.

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
wordcount on matches and fuzzies Nov 14, 2003

You should get your figures in View > Statistics, selecting/deselecting the various checkboxes.
It doesn't give a breakdowm of the various fuzzy levels, but tells you how much was new, fuzzy or 100% (this will include your repetitions).
You can set the fuzzy level for repetitions in Tools > Options > Auto-propagate. [But be aware that as soon as you edit and confirm a fuzzy segment it will be then counted as a new translation, not a fuzzy anymore.]
For a more sofisticated analy
... See more
You should get your figures in View > Statistics, selecting/deselecting the various checkboxes.
It doesn't give a breakdowm of the various fuzzy levels, but tells you how much was new, fuzzy or 100% (this will include your repetitions).
You can set the fuzzy level for repetitions in Tools > Options > Auto-propagate. [But be aware that as soon as you edit and confirm a fuzzy segment it will be then counted as a new translation, not a fuzzy anymore.]
For a more sofisticated analysis, you need the full product (either Standard or Professional - can't remember, but you can check the product features on sdl.com)
HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2003-11-14 05:07]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help - need password for SDLX...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »