Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Announcing ProZ.com translation news feature (beta release)
Thread poster: l Gaston l
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
German to English
Suggestion: news ticker Jan 29, 2010

Hi again,

You could also have a news ticker at the top of the home page, so that people are made aware of the news items on the news page. This should, of course, be opt-in/opt-out, as some people may find it annoying.

Best,
Niraja

Fabio Said
Fabio Said  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:59
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Suggestion Jan 29, 2010

Hi Gastón,

My translation blog fidusinterpres.com has a comprehensive translation links section. Some of the links may be of interest to the "ProZ.com translation news" feature. You'll find news and information sources not only in English, but also in German, Spanish and Portuguese. Here they are:

http://fidusinterpres.com/?page_id=1747

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the source! Jan 29, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

ProZ staff can also pick up some good articles from here:

http://inttranews.inttra.net/cgi-bin/home.cgi?langues=eng&phase=1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to suggest a source. This contributes to the "core" of sources the page gets feed with. Thank you!

To all:

What do you think about the "Submit a news story" button (and feature)? Any feedback about the process of submitting a news story?

Best,
Gastón

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will send them an email Jan 29, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

l Gaston l wrote:
In the case of http://www.tausdata.org/ I found no RSS feed, so the only way to share that news in our page would by manually.

Do you know if they have a RSS feed that I couldn't find?

Hi Gaston,

I had a look myself to see if I could find an RSS feed for TAUS Data Association and I couldn't find one.

As you may have noticed, they have a news section on their website. If possible, you could ask them if you could include articles from there manually for the ProZ news pages with a link back to their site, which would then be of benefit to them. I see that they advertise their search widget on ProZ, so it's quite likely that they'll agree to share news articles

Best wishes,
Niraja

Hi Niraja,

Thanks for taking the time to look at their page, now we are sure they don't have any RSS. I've seen their news section. I will contact them offering to post their news manually. Thanks for the advice

Again, thanks for your suggestions, have you had a chance to take a look to the page for submitting translation news by yourself? I would like to have your feedback about that

Best!,
Gastón

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I will be checking SnapShots feature. Jan 29, 2010

I tried the RSS feeds, but they went straight to my Outlook. How do I make them go to my Google Reader instead?

When you told me about "Google Reader" yesterday, I went to http://reader.google.com/ (I don't use it, but I googled it) and at the top of the page there is a place to add a RSS feed URL. If you paste our RSS feed URL there, you will be able to read it through Google Reader.

This is our "News stories" RSS feed: http://www.proz.com/translation-news/?feed=rss2

It's just a cool feature that lets people view the site the posts are linked to without having to leave your site. I use this one on my blog: Bubble Link Javascript by Juan Xavier Larrea http://www.websnapr.com/

If you visit this link on my blog you can see the script in action: http://www.lawsandlanguages.com/?p=276

There's another one that's actually monetized. I don't use it because I don't agree with the Terms and Conditions of their user agreement, but I've seen it on a bunch of sites and it works quite well: http://www.snap.com/about/about.php

Interesting feature, I will give it a try and see how it performs with our site, and let you know!

Again, thanks for your feedback! I will be waiting here for more

Saludos
Gastón!

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
German to English
Submit a news story page Jan 29, 2010

Hi,

The "submit a news story" page seems fine to me. Maybe others will have suggestions for improvements/changes.

Do you plan to include write-ups on events, i.e. ProZ and non-ProZ conferences, and things like interviews with prominent personalities in the translation industry, or even just with successful colleagues? If so, I was wondering if there would be different guidelines for submission.

Niraja

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We will implement something like this. Jan 29, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Hi again,

You could also have a news ticker at the top of the home page, so that people are made aware of the news items on the news page. This should, of course, be opt-in/opt-out, as some people may find it annoying.

Best,
Niraja

Hi again!,

I have plans to add the latest news in the ProZ.com homepage, as a box or something.

Thanks for the suggestion and more are welcome!

Best,
Gastón

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice blog! Jan 29, 2010

Fabio Said wrote:

Hi Gastón,

My translation blog fidusinterpres.com has a comprehensive translation links section. Some of the links may be of interest to the "ProZ.com translation news" feature. You'll find news and information sources not only in English, but also in German, Spanish and Portuguese. Here they are:

http://fidusinterpres.com/?page_id=1747

Hi Fabio!,

Hey, very nice blog. Congratulations!
I will be taking a look to the list of sources, If you want to suggest some of them as "the best ones", please do so.

In addition, I would like to invite you to submit your own new stories at our page: http://www.proz.com/translation-news/wp-admin/post-new.php

You can add a "source reference" from the news stories to your blog to get credit for them.

If you like, give it a try and let me know!

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion!

Best,
Gastón

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Email this story" option has been added. Jan 29, 2010

Paula,

As you suggested, I have added an option to share a news story through email. You will find a link saying "Email this story" at the bottom of every news story.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Best,
Gastón

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've added a button "Submit a comment" Jan 29, 2010

Hi there,

In order to try to make things clearer, I have added a button at the bottom of every news story called "Submit a comment". That way you can leave comments related to the news stories.

Let me know if there is something you would change, move or improve to make this page better!

Best,
Gastón

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Translation news" section added at ProZ.com homepage. Jan 29, 2010

Hi there!,

AS response of Niraja's suggestion of giving more exposure of this page and its translation news through the site, I've added a "translation news" box at ProZ.com homepage.

Since this page is still in beta stage, the box is hidden by default for all users, but it can be enabled (and disabled) as all main boxes in the homepage.

You can go to the ProZ.com homepage and enable it (at the bottom of the page).

As a shortcut, click in the f
... See more
Hi there!,

AS response of Niraja's suggestion of giving more exposure of this page and its translation news through the site, I've added a "translation news" box at ProZ.com homepage.

Since this page is still in beta stage, the box is hidden by default for all users, but it can be enabled (and disabled) as all main boxes in the homepage.

You can go to the ProZ.com homepage and enable it (at the bottom of the page).

As a shortcut, click in the following link and it will automatically enable this box for you:

Enable translation news box in the ProZ.com homepage

Adding the translation news at the ProZ.com homepage, is placing this page in the main spot of the site, the "front door". This will give more exposure to the news and to the authors of the news (that can be you!).

Please feel free to share any thought you might have. All suggestions are welcome!

Best,
Gastón
Collapse

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation news stories exposure increased through ProZ.com Feb 1, 2010

Hi there!,

In response to your suggestions about increasing exposure of news stories and authors, I've added a "translation news stories" section at ProZ.com profiles.
Now, a list of news stories posted by you will appear in your profile under "Translation news stories" category. (Hidden by default).

That section will NOT appear until you post at least one news story. Once it is there, you can switch it visilibty whenever you want right from the profile.
... See more
Hi there!,

In response to your suggestions about increasing exposure of news stories and authors, I've added a "translation news stories" section at ProZ.com profiles.
Now, a list of news stories posted by you will appear in your profile under "Translation news stories" category. (Hidden by default).

That section will NOT appear until you post at least one news story. Once it is there, you can switch it visilibty whenever you want right from the profile.

Example of "translation news stories" section, at my profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/599462

So now when you submit a news story at the translation news page:

1) The news story will appear at the translation news page, with your name (and link to profile) next to the story's title.

2) The news story will be promoted at the ProZ.com homepage under the section "Translation news" where latest news appears there in conjunction with the author's names.

3) It will be displayed at your ProZ.com profile, with all other news stories you had posted in the past.

With this, we have increased exposure of news stories and authors through the site, making it more visible to site visitors, leading more traffic to the translation news stories (and authors).

We have plans of adding news stories in other relevant areas of the site soon.

Best,
Gastón
Collapse

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that kind of news can go through this page Feb 1, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Hi,

The "submit a news story" page seems fine to me. Maybe others will have suggestions for improvements/changes.

Do you plan to include write-ups on events, i.e. ProZ and non-ProZ conferences, and things like interviews with prominent personalities in the translation industry, or even just with successful colleagues? If so, I was wondering if there would be different guidelines for submission.

Niraja

Hi Niraja,

Reviewing the feedback, I never answer to your question.

The answer is YES, write-ups about events (ProZ.com and non-ProZ.com ones), and interviews with prominents personalities, etc are things that people in the translation industry wants to know about, so there is definitely place for that kind of stories at the translation news page.

Best,
Gastón

Dmitrie Highduke
Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:59
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Excuse my dullness Feb 1, 2010

Please excuse my dullness, but how can I get to the News page from the main page?

l Gaston l
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ways to access to translation news page from homepage. Feb 1, 2010

Dmitrie Highduke wrote:

Please excuse my dullness, but how can I get to the News page from the main page?

Hi Dmitrie!,

You can access to translation news page from the hompage these 2 ways:

1) In the ProZ.com top menu, under "Member activities" tab -> "Translation news" option.
2) If you don't have it yet, you can enable the "translation news" box at the bottom of the home page, look for a link called "translation news" next to a label that says "Add to homepage:".

Please let me know if you can find the links, otherwise, I can upload some screenshots for you!

Best!,
Gastón

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing ProZ.com translation news feature (beta release)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »