Site traffic will be analyzed for three days using Google Analytics
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:03
SITE FOUNDER
Jul 11, 2011

Hi all,

From time to time, in the interest of improving the site, ProZ.com traffic is analyzed using "Google Analytics" or similar tools. Generally, the tool is turned on for a few days, so that a "snapshot" can be taken, then it is turned off and improvements are made.

During the period that the tool is in use, information is gathered (including a site user's IP address) and a report is generated, for the ProZ.com staff, in aggregate form.

Google Analytics
... See more
Hi all,

From time to time, in the interest of improving the site, ProZ.com traffic is analyzed using "Google Analytics" or similar tools. Generally, the tool is turned on for a few days, so that a "snapshot" can be taken, then it is turned off and improvements are made.

During the period that the tool is in use, information is gathered (including a site user's IP address) and a report is generated, for the ProZ.com staff, in aggregate form.

Google Analytics will be turned on again soon, for a period of approximately three days. If you do not wish to have information about the pages visited from your IP logged by Google Analytics, you may indicate that preference here: http://www.proz.com/privacy-settings If you choose to opt out, data from your page visits will not be obtained by Google Analytics.

Information about Google Analytics: http://www.google.com/analytics/

Thanks,
Henry
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:03
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Henry Jul 11, 2011

I really appreciate your 'advance warning'.

Best regards,
Ralf

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
tx Jul 11, 2011

for giving fair notice; I had started wondering which google script my FF add-on was blocking. Good job.
hazmatgerman

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Not started yet Jul 11, 2011

hazmatgerman wrote:

for giving fair notice; I had started wondering which google script my FF add-on was blocking. Good job.
hazmatgerman

Sure. To be clear, tracking has not started yet...

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see no problem Jul 11, 2011

No problem as far as I'm concerned however I fail to see how you can get an accurate idea of your web page traffic with only 3 days of data

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Why no notification on main website? Jul 12, 2011

Don't you think this deserves to be mentioned on the main website? I never would have known, and I certainly never heard about the opt-out option before.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
@Henry D. Jul 12, 2011

tx for replying. But my FF noscript-feature does say "Google analytics..."blocked;I will make a screenshot when I'm back home and post to prove it.
Regards.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
On now Jul 12, 2011

hazmatgerman wrote:

tx for replying. But my FF noscript-feature does say "Google analytics..."blocked;I will make a screenshot when I'm back home and post to prove it.
Regards.

Yup -- it is now. Thanks.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Clarifications Jul 12, 2011

Michele Johnson wrote:

Don't you think this deserves to be mentioned on the main website? I never would have known, and I certainly never heard about the opt-out option before.

That we would be doing this periodically was announced a while back, and the privacy policy was updated, with front page visibility and notifications. (Several hundred opted out at the time.)

This was an extra notice. (And it did / does appear on the home page.)

Michele Johnson
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Where? Jul 12, 2011

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Thanks Henry. Can you point me to where? I'm just not seeing it.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The forum title Jul 13, 2011

Michele Johnson wrote:
Henry Dotterer wrote:

Thanks Henry. Can you point me to where? I'm just not seeing it.

I am referring to the forum topic title, which ran (and is still running for some people) on the home page. Whether or not it appears, and for how long, would depend on your settings.

Michele Johnson
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Would have expected this more prominently Jul 13, 2011

Henry Dotterer wrote:

I am referring to the forum topic title, which ran (and is still running for some people) on the home page. Whether or not it appears, and for how long, would depend on your settings.

Right, I see. I don't happen to subscribe to that forum. As this is something that affects all site users, I don't see why it wasn't posted more prominently, like under "New at proz.com" on the main page. Surely it is more important than a podcast or the gift shop.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site traffic will be analyzed for three days using Google Analytics

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »