Thread poster: gianfranco
Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
German to English
+ ...
Consistency can be a BAD BORING thing! Apr 5, 2002

The net has done a lot to improve people\'s writing skills: Language needs to be appealing, interesting und varied.

Any good marketer will tell you: Being boring, you will not sell anything, including ideas. One of the wonderful features of a human brain is its unpredictability. That part still cannot be programmed. A human can come up with something new and surprisingly interesting. The equivalent action for a computer is to be illogical.

I find the at
... See more
The net has done a lot to improve people\'s writing skills: Language needs to be appealing, interesting und varied.

Any good marketer will tell you: Being boring, you will not sell anything, including ideas. One of the wonderful features of a human brain is its unpredictability. That part still cannot be programmed. A human can come up with something new and surprisingly interesting. The equivalent action for a computer is to be illogical.

I find the attempts to make computers handle language interesting. So far, computers are too simpleminded. The result of most MT is not just boring, it is ridiculous.

In terms of language, consistency is a big bad boring thing. Why write anything that is too boring to hold anyone\'s attention?

The people who will soon be out of business will be business managers who need to reduce their frame of thinking down to the level of a computer.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-05 13:04 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Apples and oranges Apr 5, 2002

On 2002-04-05 07:11, guidodf wrote:

Quote:

1) Men walking on the moon

2) Nuclear energy (and everything that comes with it)

3) TV

4) Computers

5) Biotech (and we haven\'t seen anything yet)

Guido

This is tantamount to comparing apples and oranges. Flying, TV, etc. have nothing to do with this: you just cannot co... See more
On 2002-04-05 07:11, guidodf wrote:

Quote:

1) Men walking on the moon

2) Nuclear energy (and everything that comes with it)

3) TV

4) Computers

5) Biotech (and we haven\'t seen anything yet)

Guido

This is tantamount to comparing apples and oranges. Flying, TV, etc. have nothing to do with this: you just cannot compare such physical/mechanical/technical concepts with something as elusive as intuition, for example (and intuition plays a big part in language and translation).

Airplanes and TV may not have been around 500 years ago, but language (as well as translation) was! And, still, science has not been able to capture intuition (and these other \"wishy-washy\" concepts related to language and translation), and they never will.

We all use language intuitively, and often we can\'t even say why we choose to phrase certain things in a certain way (for example, a native speaker\'s \"gut feeling\").

As one of my professors used to say, \"There is no system in it, only madness!\" But for machines or computers to be able to be programmed for this, there will have to be a system first, which simply doesn\'t exist (and you can\'t create one just out of spite).

So, no system, no computer program! Got it?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-06 01:41 ]Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
E pur si muove Apr 6, 2002

Well, how about that... I thought you had put your case to rest.

But, since you persist, tell us.

What exactly do you mean by \"intuition\" and \"gut feeling\"?

Please be very specific.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-06 13:21 ]

German to English
+ ...
Reply to Dyran Apr 6, 2002

Oh, I gave it a rest, but I had to reply to that \"apples and oranges\" post.

In my book, anyone who supports the idea or possibility of machines being able to use language and translate in a \"human way\" is \"doomed\". It is perfectly alright to look at the problem from a scientific point of view, but no science has been able to deal with concepts such as \"intuition\" or \"gut feeling\" (Dyran: please consult a dictionary if you are not sure about these terms!).
... See more
Oh, I gave it a rest, but I had to reply to that \"apples and oranges\" post.

In my book, anyone who supports the idea or possibility of machines being able to use language and translate in a \"human way\" is \"doomed\". It is perfectly alright to look at the problem from a scientific point of view, but no science has been able to deal with concepts such as \"intuition\" or \"gut feeling\" (Dyran: please consult a dictionary if you are not sure about these terms!).

Those people take a \"mechanistic\" view of language: those are the same ones who believe they can \"easily\" translate from AND into 5, 6 or more languages, because, in their \"mechanistic\" (and overly simplistic) minds, they believe that knowing grammar rules and a sufficient number of words is all it takes. Hence, those gruesome examples of \"translations\" we are all only too familiar with.

Knowing a language and being able to use it professionally (e.g., as a writer, translator, etc.) goes far beyond grammar rules and vocabulary - it also involves \"gut feeling\" (in your face ), and this is something that a) you cannot acquire in 5 or 6 \"active\" languages and b) you cannot program into a machine.

Having said that, let me come back to science: some good things have come out of these endeavours such as CAT and translation memory. These are truly useful tools, but this is as far as \"machine support\" will ever go in our line of work.

Again, anyone with just an ounce of understanding of what language and human nature are all about will realize that even supercomputers in a time and world far away from ours will fail miserably as translators.

Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Back to basics Apr 7, 2002

The reason why I ask you to define the terms you\'re using is not because I can\'t find them in a dictionary, but because I want to make sure we\'re talking about the same thing.

Pending your reply, there\'s nothing *magical* or *mystical* about the thinking process (this includes emotions, of course, which are no more and no less than bio-chemical responses to stimuli).

As has been mentioned before, serious scientists are trying very hard to create what
... See more
The reason why I ask you to define the terms you\'re using is not because I can\'t find them in a dictionary, but because I want to make sure we\'re talking about the same thing.

Pending your reply, there\'s nothing *magical* or *mystical* about the thinking process (this includes emotions, of course, which are no more and no less than bio-chemical responses to stimuli).

As has been mentioned before, serious scientists are trying very hard to create what could be described as a thinking machine. Yes, I\'m talking about thought processes similar to ours.

Of course, the concept might be so shocking to some that they might want to live in denial. Too bad, because that means they\'ll miss out on the fun.

(Incidentally, you might want to check out this book. Truly fascinating:

Douglas Hofstadter - Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 15:25 ]
Collapse

German to English
+ ...
OK, then ... Apr 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-07 02:08, Dyran wrote:

Pending your reply, there\'s nothing *magical* or *mystical* about the thinking process (this includes emotions, of course, which are no more and no less than bio-chemical responses to stimuli).... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-07 02:08, Dyran wrote:

As has been mentioned before, serious scientists are trying very hard to create what could be described as a thinking machine. Yes, I\'m talking about thought processes similar to ours.

Of course, the concept might be so shocking to some that they might want to live in denial. Too bad, because that means they\'ll miss out on the fun.

(Incidentally, you might want to check out this book. Truly fascinating:

Douglas Hofstadter - Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 15:25 ]

... I\'ll have to mark you down as being among the \"mechanistic\"

There\'s no denial here: something that can\'t be done can\'t be done! As I said before: no system, no computer program.

Dyran, I am truly worried about you: don\'t you have any regard for your own skills and profession? Thinking machines are a figment of your (and others\') imagination. If you want to live in that fantasy world of yours, go right ahead.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 18:23 ]Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exercise in futility? Apr 7, 2002

Quote:

That would not be accurate. I have never said that objective reality has a structure similar to that of a machine.

Quote:

There\'s no denial here: something that can\'t be done can\'t be done! As I said befor... See more
Quote:

That would not be accurate. I have never said that objective reality has a structure similar to that of a machine.

Quote:

There\'s no denial here: something that can\'t be done can\'t be done! As I said before: no system, no computer program.

Yet you provide no basis for that assertion, only a personal opinion, which is apparently a matter of religious belief instead of rational arguments and critical thinking.

Of course, a personal opinion is perfectly valid as long as it is identified as such. Otherwise you give the wrong impression of holding the absolute-truth-which-applies-to-everyone regarding the issue at hand.

Which reminds me. We still don\'t know what you mean by \"gut feeling\" and \"intuition\".

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 19:52 ]Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Any further reply .... Apr 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-07 19:51, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

Quote:... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-07 19:51, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yet you provide no basis for that assertion, only a personal opinion, which is apparently a matter of religious belief instead of rational arguments and critical thinking.

Of course, a personal opinion is perfectly valid as long as it is identified as such. Otherwise you give the wrong impression of holding the absolute-truth-which-applies-to-everyone regarding the issue at hand.

Which reminds me. We still don\'t know what you mean by \"gut feeling\" and \"intuition\".

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 19:52 ]

... would be an exercise in futility. But just for the record: I don\'t care that you\'re an atheist, but I have never made any religious claims in this matter. Anyone who is a professional \"language user\" (writer, translator, interpreter) would know that machines just cannot be programmed to do something for which there is no coherent system. So, your persistent support of MT really DOES make me wonder ....

It does not take religion to arrive at this conclusion: just ask the RIGHT people (i.e., those that do not subscribe to your simplistic and mechanistic approach to language and translation).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 20:08 ]Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Exact science Apr 7, 2002

Anything that involves human behaviour is automatically and intrinsically precluded from exact science (and, thus, from \"computerization\").

Even economics, with its excessive overuse of mathematics, is not an exact science (as you will learn in Economics 101): human behaviour remains unfathomable; all science can do is to come up with \"approximations\". Hence, all those disastrous stock-market forecasts and analyses.

Language (and, by extension, tran
... See more
Anything that involves human behaviour is automatically and intrinsically precluded from exact science (and, thus, from \"computerization\").

Even economics, with its excessive overuse of mathematics, is not an exact science (as you will learn in Economics 101): human behaviour remains unfathomable; all science can do is to come up with \"approximations\". Hence, all those disastrous stock-market forecasts and analyses.

Language (and, by extension, translation) is one of the most human acts. While it is possible to capture certain aspects of it in scientific terms (grammar rules, pronunciation), the actual use of language (i.e., communications and the conveying of information and meaning) remains elusive.

Those that think that machine translation (and thinking machines) are, or will be, possible simply have never fully grasped what language/translation is all about. Machines can only transliterate \"structures\" (words, some phrases), but that is not a translation (I know, many \"translators\" out there today are also just \"transliterators\" ). When translating from A to B, a professional translator will \"ignore\" the words and phrases used in A; instead, he/she will \"glean the meaning\" ( (c) Patels, 1995), \"visualizing\" the information, internalizing it, \"making it his/her own\" and then rendering it in B using the means available to him/her.

All a machine will ever be able to do is transliterate, but \"gleaning the meaning\" is invariably beyond the scope of any computer today as well as in the future - because of the very nature of human language (and there are many \"human translators\" who can\'t do it either ==> \"transliterators\"). Just as 2 plus 2 equals 4 (one of those \"eternal truths\"), human language (and translation) will never be handled by machines in any workable shape or form.

Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
From here to there, and back again Apr 7, 2002

Quote:

... would be an exercise in futility. But just for the record: I don\'t care that you\'re an atheist

Tsk, tsk, tsk... calling people names now? That\'s a big no-no, remember?

While we\'re at it, you might want to check out one of the many lists of logical fallacies. It\'s an eye opener if you want to consider debating on a regular basis:... See more
Quote:

... would be an exercise in futility. But just for the record: I don\'t care that you\'re an atheist

Tsk, tsk, tsk... calling people names now? That\'s a big no-no, remember?

While we\'re at it, you might want to check out one of the many lists of logical fallacies. It\'s an eye opener if you want to consider debating on a regular basis:

http://education.gsu.edu/spehar/FOCUS/EdPsy/misc/Fallacies.htm

Quote:

but I have never made any religious claims in this matter.

Any claim that\'s based on faith (as opposed to rationality) is said to be religious in nature. This is pretty standard in debate forums.

Quote:

Anyone who is a professional \"language user\" (writer, translator, interpreter) would know that machines just cannot be programmed to do something for which there is no coherent system.

See? This type of argument is a personal opinion. Again, that\'s perfectly ok, as long as it is not presented as the ultimate truth.

Quote:

So, your persistent support of MT really DOES make me wonder ....

*I* support current MT? Exactly where do I say that? ▲ Collapse

German to English
+ ...
No faith Apr 8, 2002

No faith involved here, Dyran, just a thorough understanding of the complexity of human language and the translation process (which seems to be lacking on your side of this debate ). Perhaps, you should read up on that before singing the praises of \"thinking machines\" and machine translation.

Have more \"faith\" in human translators, \"Benedict Arnold\"

... See more
No faith involved here, Dyran, just a thorough understanding of the complexity of human language and the translation process (which seems to be lacking on your side of this debate ). Perhaps, you should read up on that before singing the praises of \"thinking machines\" and machine translation.

Have more \"faith\" in human translators, \"Benedict Arnold\"

Quote:

When translating from A to B, a professional translator will \"ignore\" the words and phrases used in A; instead, he/she will \"glean the meaning\" ( (c) Patels, 1995), \"visualizing\" the information, internalizing it, \"making it his/her own\" and then rendering it in B using the means available to him/her.

You believe this is based on faith??? I have never laughed this hard, my dear!

This is how the translation process works, my dear. No faith, just the facts. So, please, Dyran, don\'t respond unless: a) you can refute the above \"translation theory\" (I\'d really like to see you try - without losing your credibility as a professional translator, that is!) OR b) you actually have a substantial contribution to make to the subject instead of harping on about your \"lack of faith\" and \"rules of debate\".

P.S. Dyran, I find your way of quoting around the essential passages of my postings and always sinking your teeth in the \"filler\" truly ingenious!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 00:57 ]Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Comedy of errors Apr 8, 2002

Quote:

When translating from A to B, a professional translator will \"ignore\" the words and phrases used in A; instead, he/she will \"glean the meaning\" ( (c) Patels, 1995), \"visualizing\" the information, internalizing it, \"making it his/her own\" and then rendering it in B using the means available to him/her.

Nice set of facts, but they have nothing to do with the main issue here. Let\'s recap:... See more
Quote:

Nice set of facts, but they have nothing to do with the main issue here. Let\'s recap:

You assert that a machine will *never* be able to think in a way similar to how our brain works, therefore making it impossible for it to translate accurately.

I question that assertion on the grounds that for it to be true, you would need to have absolute knowledge, not only of present developments on the subject, but also of future ones.

Since there\'s no such thing as absolute knowledge, I\'m assuming your assertion is based on some form of irrational belief.

Quite simple, isn\'t it?

Unfortunately, all that has been offered so far are personal opinions disguised as ultimate truths, random thoughts, and all kinds of fallacies (including ad-hominem attacks).

As for the failed attempt at being condescending, remember that for it to be effective, it has to come from greater to smaller, not the other way around.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 04:13 ]Collapse

German to English
+ ...
"Set of facts" Apr 8, 2002

Oh, yes, this has everything to do with MT: in order for MT to work properly, you would have to be able to program a computer to carry out all those processes I have described. These are not personal opinions; these are the FACTS (you should have attended some (CIUTI-accredited) T&I courses!)

And, as any blind person would be able to tell, these processes cannot be captured by science in a systematic fashion (visualization, internalization, etc.). So, how would you program a
... See more
Oh, yes, this has everything to do with MT: in order for MT to work properly, you would have to be able to program a computer to carry out all those processes I have described. These are not personal opinions; these are the FACTS (you should have attended some (CIUTI-accredited) T&I courses!)

And, as any blind person would be able to tell, these processes cannot be captured by science in a systematic fashion (visualization, internalization, etc.). So, how would you program a machine??? Or are you going to make us believe now that it will be possible to tape people\'s dreams on a videocassette or DVD??? C\'mon, gimme a break!

In my view, this is tantamount to \"selling out\": in other words, you are belittling the complex processes that go into a translation, and this can have only two reasons (and this is, FYI, my personal opinion now for a change): a) you are not aware of these processes; b) you have no or little regard for the complex task (AND ART) we perform day in and day out.

Again, you have not contributed to this discussion in any meaningful manner (and the condescending tone was precipitated by you, my dear).

I am sick and tired of this debate because it is leading nowhere. One can discuss this topic (feasibility of MT) only with people who have, at least, a minimum awareness of the translation process and who don\'t jump at every opportunity to belittle our profession and what we do or who refer to widely and generally accepted models of translation as \"irrational beliefs\" (or \"superstition\").

Note to Henry: time to lock this thread

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 04:42 ]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
locking thread Apr 8, 2002

This thread got sidetracked with a debate that has little to do with the topic. The Worldwide Lexicon project is about making a big dictionary (well, lexicon). The only thing it has to do with MT is that people doing MT might make use of it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World Wide Lexicon - SETI-type distributed computing application

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »