KuDoz: If you guess, confess!
Thread poster: Endre Both
Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:43
English to German
Apr 6, 2002

Lately, I\'ve bumped into several plausible answers to Kudoz questions (mainly Tech/Engineering and Bus/Financial) that were put forward in a confident manner, sometimes even backed by a nice explanation. Nevertheless, they soon enough proved to be completely off track .

Now, I\'m fully aware that an educated guess or even a mistake can help in finding the correct answer. I believe however that it would be beneficial to both
... See more
Lately, I\'ve bumped into several plausible answers to Kudoz questions (mainly Tech/Engineering and Bus/Financial) that were put forward in a confident manner, sometimes even backed by a nice explanation. Nevertheless, they soon enough proved to be completely off track .

Now, I\'m fully aware that an educated guess or even a mistake can help in finding the correct answer. I believe however that it would be beneficial to both askers and respondents (and their standing at Proz) if guesses were clearly identified as such. Likewise, if you agree with a plausibly sounding answer without positively KNOWING it is correct, it would be fair to qualify your agreement (\"sounds good\", \"references are convincing\", whatever...).

And before anyone shouts hypocrisy: I\'m afraid I\'ve been guilty of one or two unidentified guesses myself during my short presence here . After all, what I find most irritating in others are my own weaknesses... I\'m trying to improve.

Endre
Collapse

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 22:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
No doubt whatever Apr 6, 2002

All guess either educated or ignorant must be clearly labeled. Confidence bar on top of each answer isn\'t there for nothing either.
[addsig]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Agree Apr 6, 2002

Hi Endre,

Absolutely! And sometimes highly technical questions are answered by people with no experience in that field, often completely off-beam, with no references but with a high degree of confidence claimed. And I\'ll add this, since you say you are new-ish: often, the answer is given by people with no translating background/qualifications in that language-pair.
[addsig]

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Agree Apr 6, 2002

I sometimes wonder about any answer with a 100% confidence rating. Can anyone be 100% certain about anything? (especially now in times of the reversal of Mickey and Machiavelli).

3 in 1
3 in 1
French to German
+ ...
Agree, Agree, Agree Apr 7, 2002

AGREE.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree, but... Apr 7, 2002

Sometimes the question is not well-contexted (when it is part of a series of questions, the asker sometimes takes for granted that the particular answerer reads his other postings, i.e., the long story behind the last one). Recently, there was the case of \"hacer efectivo (en Banco X)\", which 3 financial experts interpreted to mean \"cash\" when (in Spain, anyway) it is a euphemism for \"pay\". The asker was a newcomer who had avowed he wasn\'t professional (i.e., the difference wasn\'t obvious... See more
Sometimes the question is not well-contexted (when it is part of a series of questions, the asker sometimes takes for granted that the particular answerer reads his other postings, i.e., the long story behind the last one). Recently, there was the case of \"hacer efectivo (en Banco X)\", which 3 financial experts interpreted to mean \"cash\" when (in Spain, anyway) it is a euphemism for \"pay\". The asker was a newcomer who had avowed he wasn\'t professional (i.e., the difference wasn\'t obvious to him) and was only doing someone a favor. So you can\'t blame either the asker or the answerer, just warn the former he had chosen the wrong thing.Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Produce evidence, if you want credibility! Apr 7, 2002

I pay more attention to answers that produce evidence from websites, otherwise I check answers, I\'m a bit \'desconfiada\', I\'m afarid!

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Damned if you do, damned if you don't Apr 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-07 14:32, Parrot wrote:

Sometimes the question is not well-contexted (when it is part of a series of questions, the asker sometimes takes for granted that the particular answerer reads his other postings, i.e., the long story behind the last one). Recently, there was the case of \"hacer efectivo (en Banco X)\", which 3 financial experts interpreted to mean \"cash\" when (in Spain, anyway) it is a euphemism for \"p... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-07 14:32, Parrot wrote:

Sometimes the question is not well-contexted (when it is part of a series of questions, the asker sometimes takes for granted that the particular answerer reads his other postings, i.e., the long story behind the last one). Recently, there was the case of \"hacer efectivo (en Banco X)\", which 3 financial experts interpreted to mean \"cash\" when (in Spain, anyway) it is a euphemism for \"pay\". The asker was a newcomer who had avowed he wasn\'t professional (i.e., the difference wasn\'t obvious to him) and was only doing someone a favor. So you can\'t blame either the asker or the answerer, just warn the former he had chosen the wrong thing.

Yes, indeed. But I have been flamed both for pointing out obvious mistakes made by people who should not be answering those questions in the first place (\'Native speakers don\'t know everything, Mr Know-all\'); and for failing to do so (\'Mistakes in the glossary are entirely the fault of native speakers who did not point them out at once\').

As to websites: there are thousands of sites written by non-native speakers, using completely wrong and non-idiomatic terminology. Use the Web at your peril: anyone can post a page, whether or not they know the first thing about the subject. A good dictionary in the hands of a professional, whilst not infallible, is far more reliable.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 17:33 ]Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KuDoz: If you guess, confess!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »