Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Excellent feature Feb 22, 2012

Thank you, Enrique, for this invaluable feature.

Hopefully it will help in the fight against scammers.

Best of success.
Thayenga

Maria Meneses
Maria Meneses  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Iniciativa muito útil Feb 22, 2012

Obrigada

Nicole L. R.
Nicole L. R.
Ireland
Local time: 14:46
Member (2008)
Portuguese
+ ...
Good news Feb 22, 2012

Fantastic! Thank you, Enrique!

Carrie Zhao
Carrie Zhao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
Chinese to English
+ ...
Fresh Experience Today Feb 23, 2012

Thank you very much for initiating this - and my experience today can tell why.

A Sxxxx wrote to me on 02/11 with an assignment, with about 7,000 words, English to Chinese. Said she is a student and found my contact information on Proz.com. We agreed with the price and I tried to ask her to sign an agreement. She said you don't need to worry about it to work with me, I will mail you the check first.

And then on the glorious Valentine's day she mentioned that her father
... See more
Thank you very much for initiating this - and my experience today can tell why.

A Sxxxx wrote to me on 02/11 with an assignment, with about 7,000 words, English to Chinese. Said she is a student and found my contact information on Proz.com. We agreed with the price and I tried to ask her to sign an agreement. She said you don't need to worry about it to work with me, I will mail you the check first.

And then on the glorious Valentine's day she mentioned that her father is at sick bed and she was home, meanwhile she has more documents with similar amount for me. And I really felt sorry for her father and hoped he would get well soon.

On 19th she got a message from her colleague that the other job is cancelled. But she already mailed out the check, and I should only keep the part for my assignment and mail the rest back.

i kept checking mails and did not get the check until yesterday - and was shocked to see a 2815 dollars on that which is way too much than the amount I expected, from a company named Seahorse Bioscience, Inc - instead of her personally. My instinct told me there must be something wrong - am I involved in money laundry, or is she using me to make money from the company?

My husband and I then decided that we would not accept this check, and require another one with the correct amount of money - which she refused of course - said the company is not willing to reissue the check - the extra fund is for her sick father. With my company experience I realized there is something seriously fishy. I then managed to call the company accounting department, and finally got reply from them that they did not issue the check with that check number. The accountant also mentioned that they got another similar phone call yesterday with the same question.

Oops, even worse than I thought - and I felt guilty when I was hesitating and asked myself what if her dad is really sick?! Well, I did trust her when she asked for it.... and now it is over.

BTW I hope only people registered at Proz.com could see this......
Collapse

La Classe
La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
Very good initiative.............. Feb 23, 2012

Thanks a lot for this initiative...

Laura Di Palma
Laura Di Palma  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very good initiative! Feb 23, 2012

Translators have to be protected, thank you...

Lara Cummings
Lara Cummings  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you can speak English, and another language, you could be sitting on a fortune! Feb 23, 2012

Scam job space.

It's all just a sales pitch to sell its wares:

If you can speak English, and another language, you could be sitting on a fortune!

There are hundreds of companies right now searching for people that can speak
two languages. It doesn't matter what language you speak, as long as you speak
English, and at least one other language, there are plenty of jobs for you
... See more
Scam job space.

If you can speak English, and another language, you could be sitting on a fortune!

English, and at least one other language, there are plenty of jobs for you available.

http://EnterYourCBId.translatej.hop.clickbank.net

Huge companies like Coca Cola, Starbucks, Disney and others hire translators all the time!

Once you sign up, we'll show you exactly how to get started in 5 minutes or less...
even if you don't have any previous experience, you could still start making money
right away!

You'll be able to find part-time, contract and even full-time positions. Many of these
jobs you will be able to do from home, or anywhere you have an internet connection at.

You can get paid by paypal, check or bank deposit, usually as soon as the job is completed!

check out here

Hope To See You Aboard!

Thanks,
Melissa Hoover
Workforce Supervisor
Real Translator Jobs
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Pay to work scams Feb 23, 2012

Peregian wrote:

Scam job space.

English, and at least one other language, there are plenty of jobs for you available.

http://EnterYourCBId.translatej.hop.clickbank.net

Huge companies like Coca Cola, Starbucks, Disney and others hire translators all the time!

Once you sign up, we'll show you exactly how to get started in 5 minutes or less...
even if you don't have any previous experience, you could still start making money
right away!

You'll be able to find part-time, contract and even full-time positions. Many of these
jobs you will be able to do from home, or anywhere you have an internet connection at.

You can get paid by paypal, check or bank deposit, usually as soon as the job is completed!

check out here

Hope To See You Aboard!

Thanks,
Melissa Hoover
Workforce Supervisor
Real Translator Jobs

Thanks Peregian, have a look at this section in the scam-alert center.

Regards,
Enrique

Patricia Veghelyi
Patricia Veghelyi
Austria
English to German
+ ...
An important and useful new service Feb 23, 2012

Thank you so much, Enrique.

I've had problems with scam before, it was a person with several emails and addresses.
A possibity of looking up scam senders or offers, e.g. a database with hints, was very important, maybe with a link on the top right where you can find several tools.
Now I subscribed these newsletter of the Scam Center, I'm curious how it works

Good luck
Patricia

David Jacques
David Jacques  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
German to English
Rates scams Feb 23, 2012

Rates for translation are sometimes ridiculous. About 260 Euros for 17,000+ words. Works out at less than 2 cents a word. Justification? Word repetitions. No pay at all for any repeated word. That seems to me to be a scam.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Not a scam Feb 23, 2012

David Jacques wrote:

Rates for translation are sometimes ridiculous. About 260 Euros for 17,000+ words. Works out at less than 2 cents a word. Justification? Word repetitions. No pay at all for any repeated word. That seems to me to be a scam.

A scam is basically a lie. The scammer promises something that is not true. A low rate is just a business proposition that you are free to reject or accept. In fact scammers usually offer or accept high rates because they do not plan to pay them anyway.

Regards,
Enrique

Mónica Hanlan
Mónica Hanlan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 23, 2012

Very useful. Thanks Enrique!

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Feb 23, 2012

Thank you!

(Saludos desde el otro lado del charco).

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Excellent ! Feb 23, 2012

Thank you Enrique.

I only discovered this announcement tonight. I'm sure that it will be very useful.
I subscribed.

However, I fully support Yolanda Broad's idea : the scam alert center needs to be clearly indicated on the tab line.
I must confess that I could not find it by myself when I tried to. I had to click on the link you provided in this message in this forum.

But I'm afraid that in some weeks or months, newcomers will have more diffic
... See more
Thank you Enrique.

I only discovered this announcement tonight. I'm sure that it will be very useful.
I subscribed.

However, I fully support Yolanda Broad's idea : the scam alert center needs to be clearly indicated on the tab line.
I must confess that I could not find it by myself when I tried to. I had to click on the link you provided in this message in this forum.

But I'm afraid that in some weeks or months, newcomers will have more difficulties to find it when the announcement will no longer be so obviously shown.
It might be wiser to insert it in a tab.

My 2 cents for tonight

Have a nice evening
Catherine
Collapse

David Jacques
David Jacques  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
German to English
Enrique - rates not a scam Feb 24, 2012

This particular method of reducing rates is so common I think it is a scam. It's reducing the earnings of the translation industry enormously without justification. So your CAT programme replaces certain words throughout a text automatically. What good does that do? Replacing segments - nearly always sentences - would be really helpful. Individual words, no. You'd have to be sure of having them all in your TB for a start. You can be sure you don't. No one will tell you exactly which words are in... See more
This particular method of reducing rates is so common I think it is a scam. It's reducing the earnings of the translation industry enormously without justification. So your CAT programme replaces certain words throughout a text automatically. What good does that do? Replacing segments - nearly always sentences - would be really helpful. Individual words, no. You'd have to be sure of having them all in your TB for a start. You can be sure you don't. No one will tell you exactly which words are involved, either.
Then there are the illegal characters, usually betrayed by very poor language. I fell for one years ago and she still owes me the equivalent of five thousand Euros. The person concerned ran a pretty decent little agency for a while and then skipped. The reasons turned out to be psychiatric. Lesson: try and get at least some money up front from a new client you have never dealt with before, even if their rating is good on the blue board.
There are a lot of black sheep in this business, so watch how you go... .
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing a new feature: Translator scam alert center

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »