Experience listed in profiles can now increase automatically
Thread poster: Jason Grimes

Jason Grimes
Local time: 07:46
SITE STAFF
Dec 19, 2013

When a new client evaluates whether to hire you as a freelancer, the length of your professional experience is often an important consideration.

To help you keep the experience listed in your ProZ.com profile up to date, it's now possible for your length of experience to be automatically increased every month. (Experience can also be specified down to the month now, where formerly it could be specified only in years.) If you'd prefer your experience to not increase automatically, you can set that option at the link below.

If you're a freelancer, please take a moment to review and update the length of experience listed in your profile.

An attempt will be made to automatically update the length of experience in profiles which may be out of date (based on the previously entered "year started" value, if any). Email notification will be sent to those whose profiles are affected.

If you have any questions or comments about these changes, please post them in the forum discussion below. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jason

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Works perfectly in my profile Dec 19, 2013

Thanks, Jason! I've been trying to keep that number up to date, but only remember to do so every couple of years. Not having to keep an eye on it is quite helpful.

(And you've inspired me to make another request: any chance you can add a way for us to set our profiles to automatically email ourselves reminders to update our calendars?)

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Part-time working Dec 19, 2013

I suggest the implementation of this should be modified.
I started professional translatiion work 12 years ago and therefore my profile shows 12 years experience. I would prefer it to show less than 12 years, and include the text "(full-time equivalent)" because my translation work has always been part-time.

I would like this feature to be modified so that the member can specify what percentage of the elapsed time to count as the full-time equivalent experience (perhaps in steps of 10% or 5%). If I specified 50%, my profile would then show 6 years (in Dec 2013).
I could perhaps enter a later date as my start date, but that might have other undesirable effects.

(I have submitted a support request with this suggestion, and now I see that Jason is inviting comments, so I'm commenting!)

Am I the only one in this situation?
Oliver

Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:46
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
Dutch educational system... Dec 19, 2013

is a bit different. How to select a Bachelor's degree? Leave it open?

TranslatorHeike  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
German to English
+ ...
Part-time working Dec 20, 2013

I agree with Oliver. I started part-time translating in 2006, but didn't start my freelance business until August 2012. So, how many years of experience does that equal? To be able to express ones experience like Oliver suggested would leave no gray area.

Eric MARRET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:46
Member (2006)
English to French
Very helpful Dec 20, 2013

Thanks Jason,

Season's greetings!

I kept forgetting to update this on time.
Great news for me!

best regards

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
If you don't want your reported experience to increase in real time, update it manually for now Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

With regard to reporting part-time experience, it's a matter of personal preference how you think it should be represented in your profile. You can set the length of experience to any value you wish (regardless of the "year started" value--they are independent of each other).

If you don't want your length of experience to automatically increase in real time each month, for now you should untick the "automatically increase" checkbox and manually update your experience as needed.

Best regards,

Jason

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks - done that now Dec 20, 2013

Jason Grimes wrote
If you don't want your length of experience to automatically increase in real time each month, for now you should untick the "automatically increase" checkbox and manually update your experience as needed.

OK, thanks, Jason; I've unticked it now and entered my own "length of experience". Because that tick box is labelled "Currently active", I didn't untick it yesterday because I am indeed active, even though part-time. I suppose I took it too literally.

Oliver

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
I'll clarify that option Dec 23, 2013

Oliver Walter wrote:
Because that tick box is labelled "Currently active", I didn't untick it yesterday because I am indeed active, even though part-time. I suppose I took it too literally.

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll clarify the label for that option to make it easier for others in the future.

Thanks,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience listed in profiles can now increase automatically

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search