https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/272218-1000_participants_and_counting_in_the_annual_prozcom_translation_contest.html

1,000 participants and counting in the annual ProZ.com translation contest
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 08:20
SITE STAFF
Jul 18, 2014

Dear ProZ.com members,

I am happy to announce that participant number 1,000 has just submitted an entry to the annual ProZ.com translation contest, Celebrations. With ten source texts to choose from, 175 language pairs so far, 1,403 entries, and 1,000 (and counting) participants, this is the largest ProZ.com translation contest to date. But why stop there?

There are just under two weeks left before the submissions stage ends, on July 31st.

If you haven't seen the contest yet, have a look at it here and consider participating. If you have been thinking about participating but have been putting it off, time flies, so be sure you don't miss the deadline. Translation contests are a nice way of taking a break, testing and honing your skills with colleagues, networking, and having fun. And the more the merrier, so if you have colleagues outside of ProZ.com who may be interested, spread the word!

Source texts are available in Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese (BR), Romanian, Russian and Spanish.

The prizes are not bad either. All winners receive a winner's ribbon and a certificate in their ProZ.com profile to mark their win. The winners of this contest who are ProZ.com members also have the chance at additional prizes. The prizes for this contest are:

1. An expenses-paid trip to the ProZ.com conference of your choice (1 winner)
  2. A Dell laptop (1 winner)
  3. An iPad (3 winners)
  4. A 1TB external hard drive, to back up all of your data (5 winners)
  5. A ProZ.com coffee mug, to put on your desk or other flat surface (10 winners)

In addition, a prize drawing will be held from among all voters in this contest, and the ProZ.com member selected will win an iPad mini. In total, there will be 21 prize winners.

If you have trouble submitting an entry, feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] . To see more details about the phases and other aspects of the annual contest, check out the contest announcement here.

Thanks as always to ProZ.com paying members for making this and all other site features possible, and thank you to everyone who has participated in the contest so far!

Happy translating,

Jared

To stay up to date on ProZ.com translation contests, be sure to subscribe to contest notifications. You can do this from your email settings in your profile or by clicking on the link to subscribe found on contest pages: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Jul 18, 2014

Probably shouldn't hold my breath for a contest with a Japanese source text, right? Although I see you did a Chinese one way back when.

Japanese isn't a major language, I guess, although even Catalan was a source text for one contest (Catalan has 10 million native speakers or so, compared to about 125 million for Japan).

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 08:20
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Source texts depend on help from members of the community Jul 18, 2014

Hi Orrin,

I would love to see a Japanese source text, along with texts in many other languages that aren't currently represented. The source texts that are available in the annual contest are the result of a lot of help from various members of the community, in proposing and evaluating the suitability of those texts. Some of the source texts were added after the initial launch of the contest, as they became available.

Especially for languages which are not spoken by sit
... See more
Hi Orrin,

I would love to see a Japanese source text, along with texts in many other languages that aren't currently represented. The source texts that are available in the annual contest are the result of a lot of help from various members of the community, in proposing and evaluating the suitability of those texts. Some of the source texts were added after the initial launch of the contest, as they became available.

Especially for languages which are not spoken by site staff, translation contests depend on members of the community to propose suitable source texts in those languages. If you do not see a source text in a given language, this means that no suitable text has been proposed or decided on for the contest. Any member of the community may propose a source text for use in translation contests at http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/propose_source_text . Having proposed a source text for a contest does not exclude you from participation in that contest.

If you are up for proposing a possible text, I am up for helping get people to evaluate it. Even if we are not able to include it in the current contest, it would be great to have a single source text contest with a Japanese text (similar to the Russian one going on now: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/41 ).

Jared
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
Interesting Jul 18, 2014

Thanks for the information, Jared!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Once again... Jul 18, 2014

... I'm among the 1,000 participants who submitted at least one entry for the contest!

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Serbian to English
+ ...
what about "translators" Apr 25, 2015

submitting "their own translations" that are blatantly purely and simply nothing more than untouched Machine Translation, made even more obvious by the fact that English apart, for most other language MT is still very far from producing anything that resembles even vaguely correct natural language?
And these so-called "translations" [more precisely just a concatenation of dictionary entries with no head n or tail] being allowed to stay?

[Edited at 2015-04-25 21:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1,000 participants and counting in the annual ProZ.com translation contest

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »