Announcing improvements to privacy and data protection at ProZ.com (GDPR)
Thread poster: Jason Grimes

Jason Grimes
Local time: 17:01
SITE STAFF
May 9

Prompted by the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the ProZ.com team has made several improvements and adjustments to the way personal information can be entered and managed by users of ProZ.com.

See the announcement here.


 

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:01
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Suggestions May 10

Dear Jason,

According to your policy:

"ProZ.com processes personal information on its servers in the United States of America and in other countries. In some cases, personal information may be processed on a server outside a user's own country. "

On the contrary Jared Tabor wrote me in a private email that proz.com had only servers in the US and the above sentence "is worded in such a way to allow for certain things, for example the installation of new servers elsewhere if need be. "

So what is the truth?

What is/are the country/countries where you have servers?
And
Do you have servers which were "lost"?


Also:

What is the country or countries that deal with my profile?

Obviously something is still happening with my profile and settings.
And most of them are not bug related.

1) My uploaded files are missing: I'd like to download my files I uploaded to your site.
It says: "Error.
File not found. This file may not yet have synchronized to all servers, please try again in a few minutes."

No matter how many times I tried in case of of all my uploaded files they couldn't be downloaded.



2) Yesterday again my setting has been changed without me knowing about it.
The only setting I changed: rate for language pairs.
I did not open the settings for language pair services, but somehow Translation and other services were opted out again from my settings. It is interesting that editing/proofreading was left. Why and how?

3) Yesterday I changed my online status to green, still the circle is shown grey sometimes. One minute grey the next minute green ... without me doing any setting changes...

_____________________________________________________

Proz.com is not a chit-chat site and for many of us it is not a free social network site like Facebook.
Many of us pay for this site and the site deals with thousands of people's information concerning their businesses. Proz.com was the one that implemented the SecurePro Card.

I think now it's your turn.

In the privacy policy I'd also add that if a site staff or a developer or anybody/anything (programmed algorithm) else who/that has access to your servers has to log on somebody's account and profile strictly for technical purposes, she/he should ask a permission from this user and write the exact time frame for the logging in and also should indicate the technical issues he/she solved.
This should happen only in very rare cases.


So if anything else happens it can be tracked easier.


2) The policy also says:

"We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests.
If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if located in the European Union click here)"

The European Union link leads to a site that gives information about behavioral ads. Nothing more: http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/

So the US opt-out site should be used both for the US and the EU?

Bests,
Katalin


[Edited at 2018-05-10 21:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-10 21:06 GMT]


 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:01
SITE FOUNDER
Please see posted policies and information May 10

Hi Katalin,

Thanks always for your input in these forums.

A significant amount of attention and care has gone into developing and documenting our published policies concerning data handling and protection. See: https://www.proz.com/gdpr

You can take the information in these published policies, including the statement "ProZ.com processes personal information on its servers in the United States of America and in other countries." at face value. (Our own servers are in the US and for performance reasons, we also serve certain forms of content using a content delivery (CDN) that has servers around the world.) For practical reasons (read: time), we won't necessarily be going into any more detail here in the forums that we do in the published policies. I hope you understand.

Please note, a significant point in Jason's blog posting is that "ProZ.com has opted to join the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield framework. Joining Privacy Shield means that ProZ.com is making a legal commitment to comply with EU and Swiss data protection principles." ProZ.com has always maintained high standards when it comes to the considerate and responsible handling of personal data. Now we offer you the added assurance that if our own high standards do not somehow meet or exceed EU requirements, you can hold us accountable legally.

And to address (again) one of your other points, ProZ.com staff members do not have a habit of (or a reason to) change particular users' settings, except when requested to do so. In critical areas of the site (such as invoicing), tracking of admin visits is already implemented. Extending that to profile settings -- if only to offer reassurance to you and others -- may not be a bad idea. We will consider the implementation of that.


 

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:01
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you, Henry May 10

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi Katalin,

Thanks always for your input in these forums.

A significant amount of attention and care has gone into developing and documenting our published policies concerning data handling and protection. See: https://www.proz.com/gdpr

You can take the information in these published policies, including the statement "ProZ.com processes personal information on its servers in the United States of America and in other countries." at face value. For practical reasons (read: time), we won't necessarily be going into any more detail here in the forums that we do in the published policies. I hope you understand.

Please note, a significant point in Jason's blog posting is that "ProZ.com has opted to join the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield framework. Joining Privacy Shield means that ProZ.com is making a legal commitment to comply with EU and Swiss data protection principles." ProZ.com has always maintained high standards when it comes to the considerate and responsible handling of personal data. Now we offer you the added assurance that if our own high standards do not somehow meet or exceed EU requirements, you can hold us accountable legally.

And to address (again) one of your other points, ProZ.com staff members do not have a habit of (or a reason to) change particular users' settings, except when requested to do so. In critical areas of the site (such as invoicing), tracking of admin visits is already implemented. Extending that to profile settings -- if only to offer reassurance to you and others -- may not be a bad idea. We will consider the implementation of that.


Thank you for your answers, Henry.

But

1) Where are my uploaded files then? Your site obviously says:
"Error. File not found. This file may not yet have synchronized to all servers, please try again in a few minutes."

So there must be a problem with your servers, because this is an ongoing problem.
One of my files was my audio greeting and I accidentally found out that the link was empty and checked the file and it was missing. I tried to download all my files from your site and received the above error message.

2) And who or what is making my setting changes that "accidentally" always result in hindering me to connect me with clients?

[Edited at 2018-05-10 21:54 GMT]


 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:01
SITE FOUNDER
Bugs? May 10

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
1) Where are my uploaded files then? Your site obviously says:
"Error. File not found. This file may not yet have synchronized to all servers, please try again in a few minutes."

So there must be a problem with your servers, because this is an ongoing problem.
One of my files was my audio greeting and I accidentally found out that the link was empty and checked the file and it was missing. I tried to download all my files from your site and received the above error message.

It is certainly possible that something went wrong. If you have somehow lost files we want to find them for you. Have you entered a support ticket?

2) And who or what is making my setting changes that "accidentally" always result in hindering me to connect me with clients?

In my best estimation, honestly, "no one". We would have no reason. Could there be a bug? Yes, of course that's possible -- and you have helped us to find bugs in the past. Please go the support route with this issue, too. It is better than using up people's attention here in the forums.

Thank you!


 

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:01
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It seems my bugs are over intelligent May 11

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
1) Where are my uploaded files then? Your site obviously says:
"Error. File not found. This file may not yet have synchronized to all servers, please try again in a few minutes."

So there must be a problem with your servers, because this is an ongoing problem.
One of my files was my audio greeting and I accidentally found out that the link was empty and checked the file and it was missing. I tried to download all my files from your site and received the above error message.


Henry Dotterer wrote:

It is certainly possible that something went wrong. If you have somehow lost files we want to find them for you. Have you entered a support ticket?


Yes, I did. A week ago I sent a support ticket, no reply yet. But my files were missing since a long time.
But now I need them.

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
2) And who or what is making my setting changes that "accidentally" always result in hindering me to connect me with clients?


Henry Dotterer wrote:
In my best estimation, honestly, "no one". We would have no reason. Could there be a bug? Yes, of course that's possible -- and you have helped us to find bugs in the past. Please go the support route with this issue, too. It is better than using up people's attention here in the forums.

Thank you!


A bug cannot be that intelligent to alter always those settings that result in not being able to be reached by clients.icon_smile.gif
Yes, probably the best word is NO ONE. That's why I added who or WHAT?
What: I meant an AI algorithm for example.


 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:01
SITE FOUNDER
Katalin May 11

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Yes, I did. A week ago I sent a support ticket, no reply yet. But my files were missing since a long time.
But now I need them.

I see the ticket. I will have a developer look into this asap.

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
A bug cannot be that intelligent to alter always those settings that result in not being able to be reached by clients.icon_smile.gif
Yes, probably the best word is NO ONE. That's why I added who or WHAT?
What: I meant an AI algorithm for example.

There is no program making changes to people's ProZ.com profiles.

We will be in touch about your files.

Please refrain from posting again on this topic in this thread. This is an announcement of GDPR compliance.

Thank you.


 

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
I’m still getting emails May 15

Where is the option to stop you giving my email address to third parties?

My inbox is still full of emails from agencies who have found me on here.


 

Jason Grimes
Local time: 17:01
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Control who can send you mail via your profile May 15

Chris S wrote:

Where is the option to stop you giving my email address to third parties?

My inbox is still full of emails from agencies who have found me on here.


Hi Chris,

ProZ.com does not share your email address with third parties without your explicit permission.

Agencies who find you on ProZ.com can contact you via your profile, and ProZ.com will relay their message to you via email, but your email address is not disclosed.

You can control who is allowed to contact you via your profile here: https://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail

See https://www.proz.com/consent-settings for more options for controlling your data and privacy.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason


 

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks May 17

Jason Grimes wrote:


Hi Chris,

ProZ.com does not share your email address with third parties without your explicit permission.

Agencies who find you on ProZ.com can contact you via your profile, and ProZ.com will relay their message to you via email, but your email address is not disclosed.

You can control who is allowed to contact you via your profile here: https://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail

See https://www.proz.com/consent-settings for more options for controlling your data and privacy.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Thank you


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing improvements to privacy and data protection at ProZ.com (GDPR)

Advanced search






WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search