Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 30, 2005

It would be funny if it was not so sad. I am probably not the only one who received this ProZ profile mail(needless to say, this outsourcer has a BB rating of 1):

I have seen your resume posted in Pro. Firstly, you are
well-qualified candidates such as me.

Especially, you have an advanced course.

When we have some job during busyness, will you consider
helping me for the freelance
... See more
It would be funny if it was not so sad. I am probably not the only one who received this ProZ profile mail(needless to say, this outsourcer has a BB rating of 1):

I have seen your resume posted in Pro. Firstly, you are
well-qualified candidates such as me.

Especially, you have an advanced course.

When we have some job during busyness, will you consider
helping me for the freelance job in the future, pleasing
advice?

If you consent long term freelance corporate with our
company.

Please provide

1. Your payment method for done every task.

2. Msn (email account), more convenience for our
conversation.

3. Your pricing per source per word

I expect you will reply me and let me know you can afford
the task or reject. Don't delay submission every task.
Also, check your email every time in available for
emergency job abnormality.

Every jobs return word format in necessary

Further, every task will write down the job free and
deadline.

Please treat this as a long term freelance as many of our
clients will require translation for their projects
throughout the year.

Yours sincerely,
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 00:33
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Well, you could start May 30, 2005

...by offering to translate their message

Nancy

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
You're not the only one May 30, 2005

I just got it also and promptly blew it away.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
In a rush May 30, 2005

I thought they were in a hurry to send me a message!!! so obviously it's a copy.... doesn't make any difference though
No promising outlook at all [BB]

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
...such as me... May 30, 2005

Thank God - I am not.

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I think this part is priceless May 30, 2005

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

check your email every time in available for
emergency job abnormality.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:33
English to German
+ ...
Me too May 30, 2005

I referred him to the Blueboard and insisted on payment in advance.

catlover
catlover  Identity Verified
English to Japanese
+ ...
At least you know that you want to stay away from this outsourcer May 30, 2005

I have received similar messages before and I promptly added their names to my "Stay Away List" (my personal black list) after I had a good laugh.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
good for you May 31, 2005

Harry_B wrote:

I referred him to the Blueboard and insisted on payment in advance.

I also was contacted. After checking the Blueboard hm no thanks

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
A medic fraud? May 31, 2005

The same mail was forwarded to me by an irritated colleague yesterday but I received it straight from the outsourcer today. So this so-called agency is busy sending it to all translators. With their record in the BB, they only need one more complaint to be removed from Proz.com. Now, who wants to sacrifice and accept a job from them?

The funny part of the story is that the outsourcer's website looks luring enough. They
... See more
The same mail was forwarded to me by an irritated colleague yesterday but I received it straight from the outsourcer today. So this so-called agency is busy sending it to all translators. With their record in the BB, they only need one more complaint to be removed from Proz.com. Now, who wants to sacrifice and accept a job from them?

The funny part of the story is that the outsourcer's website looks luring enough. They claim they're ATA members and ISO 9001 certified. About their background they claim:

"...(X) was founded by a group of international scientists and translators in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1982 to meet the growing need for technical translation services..."

and also:

"We have extensive experience providing services to the US government for on-going projects both abroad and in the US."

"For 8 years, (X) has been conducting a multi-million dollar interpreting project for Lockheed Martin for high-level nuclear non-proliferation negotiations and conferences."

A translation agency working since 1982 having a mobile HQ moving from Massachusetts to Hong Kong and still working for the US government is not an ordinary one. It reminds me of Bridget Jones:

"They are VERY VERY good."

Another strange point is this VERY professional mail was sent from a dr.com mail. A 'medical' portal registered in New Jersey which doesn't provide e-mail services to the public and surely isn't about translation!

[Edited at 2005-05-31 13:20]
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's not a site with medical information Jun 3, 2005

Lingo Pros wrote:

Another strange point is this VERY professional mail was sent from a dr.com mail. A 'medical' portal registered in New Jersey which doesn't provide e-mail services to the public and surely isn't about translation!

[Edited at 2005-05-31 13:20]

dr.com just gives you lists of other sites, many of them pretty junky (the first "man health" lists mostly sites that have to do with uh size adjustment), and its English is questionable in spots. The same guy(s) probably operate both.

Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:33
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Really not happy Jun 3, 2005

I got the same e-mail from this person today, and I'm really not happy about it.
First I replied very politely that I was expecting this e-mail because of the posts on this forum. Also that because of the BB ratings I could not work with him.
Then he sent me another e-mail on my other domain (I've listed two address in my profile), here he calls me by someone elses name.
After my reply to his first e-mail I got one back saying:

"I will send you have any translatio
... See more
I got the same e-mail from this person today, and I'm really not happy about it.
First I replied very politely that I was expecting this e-mail because of the posts on this forum. Also that because of the BB ratings I could not work with him.
Then he sent me another e-mail on my other domain (I've listed two address in my profile), here he calls me by someone elses name.
After my reply to his first e-mail I got one back saying:

"I will send you have any translation job of (ENNorwegianDanish Swedish) immediately

I have interested to have opportunity collaboration with you."

And apparently I have a new name again. (And it's a very interesting mix of language pairs for that project)
First of all I clearly said I was not interested in any collaboration with this person, but I'm still getting e-mails.

I can't post a BB note on this person as I've not worked with him, but isn't there anything Proz.com can do to get rid of him?
I would classify this as abuse of the site, not to mention generally pestering the translators.
Of course you cannot do anything about messages sent to my personal inbox, but at least give the guy some friendly advice on how to deal with professionals?
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
interesting indeed Jun 3, 2005

Having read this rather amusing e-mail and the thread I decided to find this company on the internet. Well, I searched for the phrase quoted above "- was founded by a group of international scientists" and wow!, you get 2 companies, both founded in 1982 in Cambridge by the very same group of rocket scientists!

The "group of international scientists" must have been really busy in 1982...is there anything the Job Mods can do about this kind of deceit?

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
The plot thickens Jun 3, 2005

I did a little more research on the internet and I think I understand what has happened here. The first company was actually created in Cambridge in 1982 or thereabouts and continues to work there. It has excellent reviews on the BB and in other places.

The second company was created "in Cambridge" but currently exists in Hong Kong with not a single person capable of writing anything in English or making a payment. I would bet my house on the fact that that ISO certification and AT
... See more
I did a little more research on the internet and I think I understand what has happened here. The first company was actually created in Cambridge in 1982 or thereabouts and continues to work there. It has excellent reviews on the BB and in other places.

The second company was created "in Cambridge" but currently exists in Hong Kong with not a single person capable of writing anything in English or making a payment. I would bet my house on the fact that that ISO certification and ATA stuff is a blatant lie. If the e-mail wasn't clear enough...stay away
Collapse

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They didn't even try to hide they had forwarded the message :) Jun 3, 2005

Even without opening the e-mail, when you see in your inbox something as "Fw: Freelance Inquires", it's quite obvious; they didn't even put out the forwarding signal!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How not to contact a colleague

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »