https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/35225-why_do_some_job_posters_require_the_responder_to_be_a_patinum_member.html

Why do some job posters require the responder to be a patinum member?
Thread poster: alinterpreter
alinterpreter
alinterpreter
Local time: 15:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 30, 2005

Why Do some job posters require the responder to be a patinum member?

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
Good question! Jul 31, 2005

alinterpreter wrote:

I understand that ProZ owners send job posts to Platinum members in the first place, it's fair to do so... But, what about the job posters?
Good question Alinterpreter; I hope you get a response.

António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good question Jul 31, 2005

alinterpreter wrote:

Because "they think" platinum members are "better qualified" than others!!!

António

liora (X)
liora (X)  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:44
English to Hebrew
+ ...
the Platinum Jul 31, 2005

Imo some of the Platinum jobs ar there just to remind us that the Platinum exists.
On our Hebrew board we now have a request for a free *one word* translation into Hebrew. And only Platinum members are requested.
So imagine, even if non Platinum members could reply, they would have to give a hundred browniz just for that.
So such a "job" is a make up job.

However, the Platinum idea is right, I think, because nothing is for nothing and if one uses this site it is le
... See more
Imo some of the Platinum jobs ar there just to remind us that the Platinum exists.
On our Hebrew board we now have a request for a free *one word* translation into Hebrew. And only Platinum members are requested.
So imagine, even if non Platinum members could reply, they would have to give a hundred browniz just for that.

However, the Platinum idea is right, I think, because nothing is for nothing and if one uses this site it is legitimate to ask for payment.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:44
English to German
+ ...
Limitation of number of potential providers Jul 31, 2005

Hi all,
The 'qualification' issue may be relevant in some cases, but I don't think that's the main reason.

The function was introduced at the request of job posters who were overwhelmed with messages after posting a job, and were looking for a mechanism to limit that. Henry is in a much better position to comment on this, and I have drawn his attention to this thread.

Personally, whenever I post a job (which, admittedly, doesn't happen very often - I tend to prefe
... See more
Hi all,
The 'qualification' issue may be relevant in some cases, but I don't think that's the main reason.

The function was introduced at the request of job posters who were overwhelmed with messages after posting a job, and were looking for a mechanism to limit that. Henry is in a much better position to comment on this, and I have drawn his attention to this thread.

Personally, whenever I post a job (which, admittedly, doesn't happen very often - I tend to prefer the directory), I always restrict it to Platinum members. This is because I want to support those who support ProZ.com financially.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 01:44
English to Russian
+ ...
I noticed it too Jul 31, 2005

liora bernstein wrote:

However, the Platinum idea is right, I think, because nothing is for nothing and if one uses this site it is legitimate to ask for payment.

Hi Liora, I've noticed that particular post too, and found it a bit strange - my guess is that the poster didn't know nor had the patience to understand what it is all about(platinum, non-platinum, proz.com or Google and most important - that there're Kudoz questions for such cases.

And about Platinum itself - of course those who pay should get more, the problem is that sometimes job posters don't use this tool efficiently.

Regards, Yuri.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:44
SITE FOUNDER
They use it for their own reasons Jul 31, 2005

It is true that we implemented this option at a time when the number of quotes was overwhelming for some outsourcers, and when an outsourcer uses the option it effectively decreases the number of quotes to a manageable level.

Outsourcers have given various reasons for using, or not using, the option. Not having run a survey on this question I would not like to speculate on the main reasons.

Note that the default option is "restrict to platinum members for 12 hours". We
... See more
It is true that we implemented this option at a time when the number of quotes was overwhelming for some outsourcers, and when an outsourcer uses the option it effectively decreases the number of quotes to a manageable level.

Outsourcers have given various reasons for using, or not using, the option. Not having run a survey on this question I would not like to speculate on the main reasons.

Note that the default option is "restrict to platinum members for 12 hours". We made this the default not only to reduce the incidence of overquoting, but also in order to provide platinum members with an additional competitive advantage (thereby encouraging and rewarding platinum membership). In some cases, an inattentive outsourcer will leave the default in place even when it is not intended. (However, in my experience, site users generally check each item in a form before submitting.)
Collapse

alinterpreter
alinterpreter
Local time: 15:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google? Jul 31, 2005

Aluf
Bear with me here I'm new to Proz.
I did not have enough time to look thoroughly.
I thought by posting here someone like you might have the time to respond to my question about Platinum.
And you all did in your own way. ANd I thank you all for that.
Best Regard to all.

Aluf wrote:

liora bernstein wrote:

Hi Liora, I've noticed that particular post too, and found it a bit strange - my guess is that the poster didn't know nor had the patience to understand what it is all about(platinum, non-platinum, proz.com or Google and most important - that there're Kudoz questions for such cases.

And about Platinum itself - of course those who pay should get more, the problem is that sometimes job posters don't use this tool efficiently.

Regards, Yuri.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do some job posters require the responder to be a patinum member?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »