https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/3896-why_post_in_languages_other_than_english_in_non_language_specific_forums.html

Why post in languages other than English in non-language-specific forums?
Thread poster: Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jul 13, 2002

There are different \"language coded\" forums like German, Russian, Spanish, Turkish... and I do not open subject in, let\'s say, Turkish forum. Simple reason beeing - I do not understand Turkish.

But if subject line in any other forum (non-language coded) attracts my attention I would open it, read what has been posted, sometimes I would give my humble contribution.

Get to the point! you shout. Fair enough. Here it comes.

If the sub
... See more
There are different \"language coded\" forums like German, Russian, Spanish, Turkish... and I do not open subject in, let\'s say, Turkish forum. Simple reason beeing - I do not understand Turkish.

But if subject line in any other forum (non-language coded) attracts my attention I would open it, read what has been posted, sometimes I would give my humble contribution.

Get to the point! you shout. Fair enough. Here it comes.

If the subject is not posted in \"language-coded\" forum why some prozes post their responses in LOTE? Such practice is very common for e.g. Spanish speakers. Why?

Yes. Why, I wonder.

Don\'t get me wrong. Please.

Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Don't understand Jul 13, 2002

What do you mean by \"post responses in LOTE\"

What is Lote?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:00
SITE FOUNDER
LOTE = languages other than english Jul 13, 2002

I guess...

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Kemmus Jul 13, 2002

It bugs me, too, to find LOTE-postings (learned something new!) in non-language-specific forums, especially when the heading is in English, and when I open the post, I can\'t read it or only with some difficulty.

Why not post those messages in the respective language forums?

Trudy

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:00
English to German
+ ...
A case in point... Jul 13, 2002

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&topic=3888&forum=23&7

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do we speak English? Jul 13, 2002

Well, I should have made my point straitforward. What I wanted to say is this:

If there is a question or statement or suggestion or... posted in English for everyone why then - yes, why? - some members post their responses in LOTE?

N.B. Yes, Henry your guess (!?) is correct.

Leonardo ParachĂș
Leonardo ParachĂș  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
I acknowledge to my fault Jul 13, 2002

Ralf has mentioned a case in question... Well, I did write in Spanish in that forum. My mistake.

Sorry.
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No worries... Jul 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-13 16:11, MEATLOAF wrote:

Ralf has mentioned a case in question... Well, I did write in Spanish in that forum. My mistake.

Sorry.

Sorted out already!

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:00
English to Russian
+ ...
LOTE Jul 14, 2002

IATCOTA\"LOTE\"T!

TY

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
because not everybody in the world speaks (or writes) English Jul 14, 2002

OK, English is more or less the modern-day lingua franca, but is seems to me a sort of cultural chauvinism to insist that everyone use it.

(I was standing in an airport terminal queue one time in a South American country, and a couple of Americans were standing behind me. The one asked the other, \'What do you do when you get into a situation where they don\'t speak English?\" The reply was, \'I MAKE them speak English.\')

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just a matter of practical courtesy... Jul 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-14 10:47, Ken Cox wrote:

OK, English is more or less the modern-day lingua franca, but is seems to me a sort of cultural chauvinism to insist that everyone use it.

The point isn\'t about trying to make everyone speak English everywhere, and all of the time. After all, ProZ features a number of language-specific fora. But as far as general communications across the site are concerned, En... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-14 10:47, Ken Cox wrote:

The point isn\'t about trying to make everyone speak English everywhere, and all of the time. After all, ProZ features a number of language-specific fora. But as far as general communications across the site are concerned, English is something like a common denominator: the reason why I asked for English to be used in the forum I referred to above was a simple practicality: I had no idea what they were talking about...

IMO adhering to English in the forum threads is simply a matter of convenience for everyone involved. ▲ Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:00
English to Russian
+ ...
LOTE Jul 14, 2002

Dear colleagues,

Truly your forgiveness I implore for a question, which might not fit this posting. Could you please explain what is behind using encoded phrases? It is my understanding that the phenomenon is at large in the USA (no idea about other English-speaking countries). Is it linguistically bound and subject for further thorough studies? Are there any other reasons for this drive? Thank you for the consideration of this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

Alec<
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Truly your forgiveness I implore for a question, which might not fit this posting. Could you please explain what is behind using encoded phrases? It is my understanding that the phenomenon is at large in the USA (no idea about other English-speaking countries). Is it linguistically bound and subject for further thorough studies? Are there any other reasons for this drive? Thank you for the consideration of this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

Alec

Collapse

xeni (X)
xeni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Totally agree with Kemmus Jul 14, 2002

Yeah, it is just the matter of being polite - if you address PROZ people in general, not just some specific language forums - please use English! Why not French, German or Russian, for that matter? Just because English is likely to be understood by the majority of us - as simple as that.

Let\'s just be polite!

aivars
aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
encoded language Jul 15, 2002

Dear Oleg:

Many of us have learnt something with this LOTE acronym. A you may know acronyms are a quite recent invention (1892). Without delving into the matter I guess that words tend to get shorter following a general market trend of making everything faster.

So, then you have \"thru\" for \"through\" , and \"asap\" for \"as soon as possible\" (phrase which easily justifies its shortening)

I guess that it was Bernard Shaw who proposed a simplification o
... See more
Dear Oleg:

Many of us have learnt something with this LOTE acronym. A you may know acronyms are a quite recent invention (1892). Without delving into the matter I guess that words tend to get shorter following a general market trend of making everything faster.

So, then you have \"thru\" for \"through\" , and \"asap\" for \"as soon as possible\" (phrase which easily justifies its shortening)

I guess that it was Bernard Shaw who proposed a simplification of English. Although I support speed in many respects I have esthetical reservations for converting , e.g. \"Gloucester\" into \"Gloster\" ; Gloucester looks more dignified somehow. In Spanish there was some short debate whether \"Septiembre\" should become \"Setiembre\".

My take on this: style and esthetics should not be readily sacrificed for the sake of practicalities.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why post in languages other than English in non-language-specific forums?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »