Is malice and pettiness a problem across ProZ?
Thread poster: Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2001

Some time ago, we talked in the moderators group about examples of rude and/or aggressive answers to KudoZ questions. Has this sort of bickering been a problem around various SCs? Was it more so before, is it less so now? Is it limited to the handful of very big and active SCs?

Jacek

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 21:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think so Oct 24, 2001

I do not hold such a view. You see,proz.com family is very huge and at times you can see some signs of strains among members,and even among the moderators and the people who have been around for a pretty long time on this site. But , overall, it is a a happy family, if I may say so. I feel Henry and others are the cementing forces.

So life goes on.....

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:43
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Nastiness has diminished Oct 24, 2001

In my 13 months in the KudoZ arena, my impression is that things have only improved, especially since the introduction of the agree function and the ending of anonymity.

Mats Wiman

Deu>Sve moderator

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-24 09:15 ]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 10:43
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Telesforo seconded Oct 24, 2001

Only agree with Mats and Telesforo.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
German to English
+ ...
Ending of anonymity?? Oct 24, 2001

There are still many members who do not give their real name, even in their profiles....

Trudy

AnaAngelica Amador
AnaAngelica Amador
English to Spanish
+ ...
On the subject of anonymity ... Oct 24, 2001

Perhaps I\'m old fashioned. But, while most people try to create the most interesting and unusual \"handles\" to identify themselves in the Internet, the truth is that this is a professional forum where such names do not convey the sense of ethics and experience customers are seeking when they come to ProZ. I believe we should present our true selves and use our own names. We are social creatures but, above all, we are professionals and we are here to do business.

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
why they don't give their names Oct 25, 2001

I have also seen what you say. I feel that these translators work for some agencies and , perhaps, they do not want their agencies know that they do freelance jobs also. I can only see this reason. This part is OK. But to allow blank profiles with virtually no information should not be allowed; it is like demeaning the site.

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
Why I don't use my real name... Oct 25, 2001

Hi everybody.

This question keeps coming up and I can answer some of Telesforo\'s comments above, at least for myself - whether my reasons and feelings apply to other \"non name givers\" I have no idea.

I am a bona fide, tax-paying freelance translator, I don\'t work for an agency and never have done. Now maybe I am a strange person stuck in the dark ages, but I just don\'t feel comfortable giving out too much on the internet (to give you an idea of how strange I am, I don\'t
... See more
Hi everybody.

This question keeps coming up and I can answer some of Telesforo\'s comments above, at least for myself - whether my reasons and feelings apply to other \"non name givers\" I have no idea.

I am a bona fide, tax-paying freelance translator, I don\'t work for an agency and never have done. Now maybe I am a strange person stuck in the dark ages, but I just don\'t feel comfortable giving out too much on the internet (to give you an idea of how strange I am, I don\'t even like filling in unnecessary details on order forms!)- and, importantly, since I don\'t use ProZ to look for work, I haven\'t needed to put in many details. (Although I could fill in a completely imaginary profile if I wanted to!)

Since my participation in the site is restricted to KudoZ and the forums, I hadn\'t thought of this anonymity being a problem (\"demeaning\" you say) for fellow translators. Yes, I see that you have no information that might indicate whether I really know what I\'m talking about, but as I said I could make my CV up anyway. However, I certainly never meant to discredit the profession. It would be interesting to know why others also participate without giving their real names. (Someone start another thread?)

If Proz insisted on members giving full names I think I would withdraw from the site and just come and look as a visitor. That\'s just the way I am. If I actually wanted to go for jobs then obviously I would have to rethink my position.
Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Anonimity in profiles Oct 25, 2001

I agree with you. Well, I have been accused once in KudoZ of keeping anonimity, because I am member of ProZ with the name of my Company - but it is due to professional reasons, that it would be to long and of little interest to explain; anyway, whoever wants to know my name finds it very easily in my profile; a few days ago instead, in the box that changes continuously featuring the ProZ members, there was such as nice picture of a beautiful girl in bikini - and the profile contained just her te... See more
I agree with you. Well, I have been accused once in KudoZ of keeping anonimity, because I am member of ProZ with the name of my Company - but it is due to professional reasons, that it would be to long and of little interest to explain; anyway, whoever wants to know my name finds it very easily in my profile; a few days ago instead, in the box that changes continuously featuring the ProZ members, there was such as nice picture of a beautiful girl in bikini - and the profile contained just her telefone number. Well, it was a change - but didn\'t look very professional, or at least \"translator\"-related!

Gilda
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
just see this Oct 25, 2001

You said that a few days ago there was a girl in bikini with just a telephone number. I think we should be carefull in such cases.Some profiles are just scanty and they say that they got lot of jobs through proz.com postings.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 11:43
German to English
+ ...
We are drifting off topic here // Spirit of cooperation Oct 25, 2001

I think the original topic was about the general tone and level of courtesy, not about anonymous profiles. Still, let me say a few words on that: most of these no-name profiles are not anonymous per se; the real names behind those profiles are known to ProZ in most cases. And using a catchy name to market oneself and one\'s profile is not an outlandish concept at all.

As regards the tone, etc.: let\'s not forget that there are over 24,000 members now, and so some conflict wi
... See more
I think the original topic was about the general tone and level of courtesy, not about anonymous profiles. Still, let me say a few words on that: most of these no-name profiles are not anonymous per se; the real names behind those profiles are known to ProZ in most cases. And using a catchy name to market oneself and one\'s profile is not an outlandish concept at all.

As regards the tone, etc.: let\'s not forget that there are over 24,000 members now, and so some conflict will always be there. Translators are usually very stubborn and headstrong people, and when you sit in front of the computer all day (or behind a microphone, in the case of interpreters), some tempers may flare easily. I made that mistake in the past myself, so I know what I am talking about.

Therefore, we must think in terms of cooperation and acknowledge the fact that each and every one of our 24,000 colleagues has the same right to be here, answer questions, ask questions, post jobs, bid on jobs, market themselves, ...

Outside this website, we may be very different people from different backgrounds, but once we are on ProZ \"turf\", we are all the same (and it does not matter whether you have 10 Ph.D.s or 27 accreditations) and we should all treat each other as equals and with the necessary degree of respect. And I believe, in this regard, things are improving (I agree with Mats Wiman).

As for myself, I am determined to contribute to the success of ProZ and its members by acting in that spirit of cooperation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is malice and pettiness a problem across ProZ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »