Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 4, 2002

http://www.wordspy.com/

This Web site and its associated mailing list are devoted to recently coined words, existing words that have enjoyed a recent renaissance, and older words that are being used in new ways.

Each weekday, the Word Spy presents a new word, its definition, and a citation (usually from a major newspaper or magazine) that shows how people are using the word. You also get extra goodies such as background on the word\'s formation, a list of related words from the Word Spy database, quotations on words and language, and more.

I\'m sure it could be very helpful to anyone translating from English.

dan

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-04 16:38 ]

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:30
Member (2002)
German to English
Fascinating !! Aug 4, 2002

... and also of interest to English-speaking people who have often heard a particular word without ever thinking about its real meaning or origins.

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to Spanish
I love it, thanks! Aug 5, 2002

This is so much fun, just like The Atlantic Monthly\'s Word Watch!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Andrea

aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:30
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word Detective was first Aug 5, 2002

After reading of the existence of the Word Spy I must tell that I am an old reader of the Word Detective (1997)

http://www.word-detective.com/

If you like etymology in the words of a politically incorrect expert, I thing this is your cup of tea

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:30
English to Russian
+ ...
The Word Detective is GROOVY (http://www.word-detective.com/back-n.html#gig). Thanx. Aug 5, 2002

But The Word Spy is still \"groovier\" - it\'s FREE!

Nikita

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 07:30
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
And then there's Buzzwhack Aug 6, 2002

www.buzzwhack.com is a site dedicated to newly coined buzzwords, and offers a buzzword of the day mailing list. It\'s great if you\'re translating snappy business texts - words like \"agressive accounting\" (as practiced by Enron and Worldcom), \"human capital\" (instead of employees), \"best of breed\", \"mission critical\" and \"user-centric\".

Love it to bits.

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Word Spy - web site and mailing lsit devoted to interesting words

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search