Do you happen to know a source for sample texts for translation?
Thread poster: Eva Blanar

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2002

Do you happen to know a source for sample texts for translation? This autumn, I would like to get an official confirmation about my ability to translate from English and French into my mother tongue and, in preparation for that, I would like to do some training. I\'d be very grateful for any hint: I don\'t necessarily need bilingual versions, I just want to see what examiners are likely to look for. TIA, Eva

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 15:53
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Eva Aug 27, 2002

I am developing a battery of tests for our company, but they are very specific to our market/clients and I don\'t know if they would help. Have you ever tried the SDL tests?

good luck

paola l m

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
English to German
+ ...
Try to get past papers Aug 27, 2002

Ask your examining body for past exam papers. Those will give you a rough idea of what you can expect.

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not much experience with tests Aug 27, 2002

My last language exam was in 1979, so I already forgot everything about exams. (I adored exams, though.) I never heard about SDL tests either, my idea was to find some website from where I could download files with \"mock examinations\", in any language combination (I\'ll just take one of the texts).

It\'s very kind of you to mention you prepare a bunch of such papers - it must be hell of a work, I know -, but I really only need some impersonal source, to use my spare time better. Thanks Paola!

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 22:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
SDL tests Aug 28, 2002

What are those? Does anyone have a link to those on the web?

kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
SDL tests - What are those? Sep 1, 2002

Hello Alexandru

Just a guess:

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Regards

Kurt

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
English to German
+ ...
Sorry Eva Sep 2, 2002

I was under the impression that you were going to sit exams. What kind of confirmation are you after then?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you happen to know a source for sample texts for translation?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search