Site links will start pointing to new profile format
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
But it also says that people have opted not to show feedback Jun 23, 2006

justin wrote:

but the new profile contains the new feature, with no possibility of turning it off

This is not correct. You have the option of opting not to show feedback publicly in your profile. Click the 'View/Request feedback' button, and select the check box that says "I opt to not publicly show feedback I have received", and then click update.

Best Regards,
Justin

By stating that the person has 'chosen not to show feedback', you are automatically implying that the person has something to hide. Just give us that option and remove ALL references to feedback. Is that an unreasonable request? Why try to humiliate people into complying with this new 'feature'?
And PLEASE give us toggles so we can clean up the mess that "new" profile is,
Is there a way to set the "old" profile as our default file and NOT use this newly imposed "improvement"?

[Edited at 2006-06-23 23:03]

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Post a poll Jun 23, 2006

wy don t you post a poll concerning the new or the old profile by default?

Sounds very democratic to me....

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 22:25
English
No message is shown to visitors if you decide not to publicly show your feedback Jun 23, 2006

Hi writeaway,

By stating that the person has 'chosen not to show feedback', you are automatically implying that the person has something to hide.

If you decide to not show your feedback publicly, no message is shown to visitors (as stated here http://www.proz.com/post/367768#367768 ).

Best Regards,
Justin

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Justin Jun 23, 2006

Ok!

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:25
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
in favor of choice Jun 23, 2006

I second the motion to make it a personal preference which profile should be displayed by default. By offering a choice, you will make more people happy than by defaulting everybody to one particular option.

Although I have opted out of the Leave Feedback option, the - now useless - button Feedback is still displayed on the page. It might be a good idea to remove the button as it might lead to questions and frustration should somebody feel the urge to leave feedback on a profile pag
... See more
I second the motion to make it a personal preference which profile should be displayed by default. By offering a choice, you will make more people happy than by defaulting everybody to one particular option.

Although I have opted out of the Leave Feedback option, the - now useless - button Feedback is still displayed on the page. It might be a good idea to remove the button as it might lead to questions and frustration should somebody feel the urge to leave feedback on a profile page where this option is disabled.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No message is shown but the implication is clear Jun 24, 2006

justin wrote:

If you decide to not show your feedback publicly, no message is shown to visitors

Silence sometimes speaks louder than words.

However, there is a whole new thread devoted to the Feedback misfeature, so I'm not going to repeat things here.

[Edited at 2006-06-24 01:35]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The new profiles were built with input from hundreds of members and the structure is very flexible. Jun 24, 2006

Alicia Casal wrote:

wy don t you post a poll concerning the new or the old profile by default?

After a few months of user-based modifications to the new profile format, we ran a poll on the new format. It was popular enough (especially as far as new features go) that we deemed it to have achieved acceptance. Feedback in forums, though initially quite negative, turned decidedly positive as we made the requested changes.

What is more, to cater to those who liked the old profile format, we made it possible to approximate the old format with the new. Just choose "customized" view by default, and plug in the data from the old profile. If you liked having the KudoZ or project history information on the right hand side, you can insert those modules as well.

On top of that, you can continue to link to your old profile, exactly as it has been, for your own purposes.

All of this was the result of months of work on the profiles, with input from hundreds of members during the beta period. I hope you will consider these possibilities and considerations helpful and adequate, too.

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
It s OK Jun 24, 2006

Thanks Henry for the explanation!
I m working on it now!
It s not difficult!

The only item i couldn t modify was the clock.

Thanks again.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
More Tabs Jun 24, 2006

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

Similarly, I am concerned with the "cluttered" feel of the new profile. I think too many things have been crammed into a small space and it may be more benefitial for us to have more tabs at the top of the profile to separate things out, as we have in the old profile format.

I do support Rebecca`s idea posted in another thread to have more tabs at the top of the profile to separate things out, as we had in the old profile format. I would give more air to the profile, make it easier to read and more user friendly.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:25
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Walter beat me to it! Jun 24, 2006

Thanks Walter, I was just coming in here at Justin's request to reiterate my suggestion.

I find the features added to the new profile useful and interesting, but the layout of the profile itself is too cluttered - you have tried to cram too much information into a small space. It would be better, in my opinion, to separate things into separate sections divided by tabs.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Great news! Jun 24, 2006

justin wrote:

Hi writeaway,

By stating that the person has 'chosen not to show feedback', you are automatically implying that the person has something to hide.

If you decide to not show your feedback publicly, no message is shown to visitors (as stated here http://www.proz.com/post/367768#367768 ).

Best Regards,
Justin

Thank you Jason-missed that in all the confusion. That's fantastic.

Maria Nicholas (X)
Maria Nicholas (X)  Identity Verified
Greek to English
+ ...
Agreed that the old profile is easier on the eye Jun 24, 2006

I also hope we will be allowed to choose between old and new formats. Unfortunately, I too am not a fan of the new format -- it has become busy and the visitor does not know where to look first. This is what happens sometimes when too many requests are taken under account -- I am an art director and see it in the design world all the time. Old design is cleaner, simpler and more appealing to potential customers.

With
... See more
I also hope we will be allowed to choose between old and new formats. Unfortunately, I too am not a fan of the new format -- it has become busy and the visitor does not know where to look first. This is what happens sometimes when too many requests are taken under account -- I am an art director and see it in the design world all the time. Old design is cleaner, simpler and more appealing to potential customers.

With regards to the new format, tabs would help tremendously in terms of categorizing information appropriately.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for listening,
Maria

P.S. I find Henry's note about being able to customize the layout of the new profile encouraging -- about to try it out.

[Edited at 2006-06-24 13:53]
Collapse

Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez
Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
New profile is flexible enough... Jun 24, 2006

... to allow adjustment should you want to make it more like the old profile. In my case I opted for the personalized format, hid the standardized info, left the "About me" section and added the Kudoz and Project History modules. Also added a note indicating my visitors where to click to obtain my CV and translation samples. Only the clock could not be changed (it did not show my real time), but I hid it and add one of those no-cost customized clocks.

Have a good weekend!...
See more
... to allow adjustment should you want to make it more like the old profile. In my case I opted for the personalized format, hid the standardized info, left the "About me" section and added the Kudoz and Project History modules. Also added a note indicating my visitors where to click to obtain my CV and translation samples. Only the clock could not be changed (it did not show my real time), but I hid it and add one of those no-cost customized clocks.

Have a good weekend!
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good idea. Jun 24, 2006

Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez wrote:

... In my case I opted for the personalized format, hid the standardized info, left the "About me" section and added the Kudoz and Project History modules. Also added a note indicating my visitors where to click to obtain my CV and translation samples. .

Good idea, Eva. I kind of followed your suggestion.
Than you.

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don t know if I mistaken Jun 24, 2006

I guess i lost the link to my team in the new profile.
(not the one to my website).

Alicia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site links will start pointing to new profile format

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »