Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Site links will start pointing to new profile format
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:46
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 23, 2006

Over the past several months, we have created and optimized a new profile format based on requests and feedback from members. Among the features included in the new profiles are an availability calendar, customer feedback, member-to-member crosslinking, search engine improvements, a map, the ability to localize content, standardized and customized views of profile data, and more.

As announced several times since May, we will now begin to point to the new profiles from various points
... See more
Over the past several months, we have created and optimized a new profile format based on requests and feedback from members. Among the features included in the new profiles are an availability calendar, customer feedback, member-to-member crosslinking, search engine improvements, a map, the ability to localize content, standardized and customized views of profile data, and more.

As announced several times since May, we will now begin to point to the new profiles from various points throughout the site.

When you are logged in, your new profile is visible at http://www.proz.com/profile

Your old profiles will continue to be accessible, if you so choose. To access your old profile, go to http://www.proz.com/pro

In other words, you now have two profiles. You can use the old one, but the site will be pointing primarily to the new one.
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:46
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What do you mean with "will start"? Jun 23, 2006

Hi Henry,

I just opted to use the old layout again. The reason is that I will not accept the new "feedback feature" that was implemented today and that there is no way to hide it on the profile page.

The old profile does not show this feature and I want to use it. Does "Site links will start pointing to new profile format" mean that the users will be directed to my new profile, even if I choose to use the old one?
I hope not.

Kind regards
Siegfr
... See more
Hi Henry,

I just opted to use the old layout again. The reason is that I will not accept the new "feedback feature" that was implemented today and that there is no way to hide it on the profile page.

The old profile does not show this feature and I want to use it. Does "Site links will start pointing to new profile format" mean that the users will be directed to my new profile, even if I choose to use the old one?
I hope not.

Kind regards
Siegfried
Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
My heart-felt disagreement... Jun 23, 2006

The old format is elegant and clear, while the new one looks discouraging to the visitor.

This is not just my own opinion, but that of many other people I have had watch my profile on both modes.

All other site changes are great, and I have been using them all from the outset.

Profiles, however, are personal, individual... It would be soo nice if we could choose which one to use, Henry.

Thanks in advance for giving a thought to my request!... See more
The old format is elegant and clear, while the new one looks discouraging to the visitor.

This is not just my own opinion, but that of many other people I have had watch my profile on both modes.

All other site changes are great, and I have been using them all from the outset.

Profiles, however, are personal, individual... It would be soo nice if we could choose which one to use, Henry.

Thanks in advance for giving a thought to my request!

Best,

mew
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also prefer the old one Jun 23, 2006

It s clear and elegant in my opinion.

Hope i can keep it!

Alicia

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
wonderful - now I'm totally lost ! Jun 23, 2006

And they call this progress.
I used to use the old profile to access questions I had asked/answered (mostly the latter). Now I don't know how to access them. All I'm offered is "join now" (whatever for, I am not selling my services -simply keeping my hand in). The only other solution would be to receive all information systematically by email. But this is impossible because I have four addresses and I have to jungle with them to ensure my mailboxes are not full and messages don't get rejec
... See more
And they call this progress.
I used to use the old profile to access questions I had asked/answered (mostly the latter). Now I don't know how to access them. All I'm offered is "join now" (whatever for, I am not selling my services -simply keeping my hand in). The only other solution would be to receive all information systematically by email. But this is impossible because I have four addresses and I have to jungle with them to ensure my mailboxes are not full and messages don't get rejected.
In the name of progress it seems that anything goes.
Well, I'm not a happy bunny. I want my old profile back PLEASE
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can t get back to the old profile Jun 23, 2006

I tried but couldn t!

DO I HAVE THE OPTION TO GET MY OLD PROFILE BACK?

THANKS

justin C
justin C
United States
English
Problem show be fixed Jun 23, 2006

Hello all,

My most sincere apologies, a bug caused the old profile to not be accessbile via the /pro URL. This problem should now be fixed.

Best Regards,
Justin

Marcelo González
Marcelo González  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can we opt out of this change? Jun 23, 2006

I agree with those who say the old format was clear, and that a choice in this regard would be a good idea.

As a community, we might want to consider this question.

Though some new features might be good, in regards to the glossaries, the old format may be better; it shows all of them. The new format shows only the first four or five, making it necessary to (2) click on a subject area (to enter a personal glossary section) and (2) to open the drop-down menu to see the
... See more
I agree with those who say the old format was clear, and that a choice in this regard would be a good idea.

As a community, we might want to consider this question.

Though some new features might be good, in regards to the glossaries, the old format may be better; it shows all of them. The new format shows only the first four or five, making it necessary to (2) click on a subject area (to enter a personal glossary section) and (2) to open the drop-down menu to see the full list of glossaries.

Personally, when responding to postings, I often suggest that potential clients view a particular, relevant glossary, something which may have gotten slightly more complicated.

If there's any way for us to opt out, i.e., choose to keep the old format, many of us might appreciate it.

All the best,

Marcelo
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tags Jun 23, 2006

why are they visible?

tks.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Please let us keep the "old" profile Jun 23, 2006

I too protest that we are now being railroaded into using this new profile. Information I don't want to show is prominently displayed. Joining Proz and becoming Plat are ridiculous things to display. What does that nonsense have to do with translation skills? Is that supposed to be something to 'brag' about or shown as a feather in one's cap? This new profile is 100% amateurish, kiddy stuff with all the whistles and bangs. It may thrill the newbies or a few diehard Proz devotees, but it's a l... See more
I too protest that we are now being railroaded into using this new profile. Information I don't want to show is prominently displayed. Joining Proz and becoming Plat are ridiculous things to display. What does that nonsense have to do with translation skills? Is that supposed to be something to 'brag' about or shown as a feather in one's cap? This new profile is 100% amateurish, kiddy stuff with all the whistles and bangs. It may thrill the newbies or a few diehard Proz devotees, but it's a load of xxxx and more of an embarrassment than a help.

[Edited at 2006-06-23 22:57]
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I insist: TO PROZ.COM STAFF Jun 23, 2006

WHAT DO VISITORS SEE?

OLD OR NEW?

DO I HAVE TO SWITCH INTO THE OLD FORMAT EACH TIME I ENTER PROZ?

TKS.

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Alicia, they see new... Jun 23, 2006

Alicia Casal wrote:

WHAT DO VISITORS SEE?

OLD OR NEW?

DO I HAVE TO SWITCH INTO THE OLD FORMAT EACH TIME I ENTER PROZ?

TKS.

Hi Alicia,
Visitors see NEW... I'm sorry about this, too. But that's
how it seems to work now. Except if you use the direct link
to your old profile (in your case
http://www.proz.com/pro/97663) Otherwise NEW is default
now...
I've had enough, I'm going to bed now... I hope to catch up
tomorrow.
'night everybody...

justin C
justin C
United States
English
Visitors will see the new format, the old format will still be available via /pro Jun 23, 2006

Hi Alicia,

Cecilia is correct, visitors will see the new profile format when clicking from the front page, the directory, and else where.

PS: Marcelo, I am working on fixing that glossary bug right now!

Best Regards,
Justin

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
kool!! Jun 23, 2006

Ok......no way out........

but the new profile contains the new feature, with no possibility of turning it off

am i right?

My lawyer told me this new feature is too risky, and not only...

Alicia

justin C
justin C
United States
English
You may opt not to show your feedback publicly Jun 23, 2006

but the new profile contains the new feature, with no possibility of turning it off

This is not correct. You have the option of opting not to show feedback publicly in your profile. Click the 'View/Request feedback' button, and select the check box that says "I opt to not publicly show feedback I have received", and then click update.

Best Regards,
Justin

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site links will start pointing to new profile format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »