Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thinking little, little, big, and monotonously Sep 18, 2006

Little:

1. I *love* Juan Pablo's suggestion of an "agree" check box or line for forums. It would cut down on new postings just to say "I agree," while still giving us the chance to express ourselves.

2. Claudia's idea of on-site bookmarks or tabs would be very helpful. I'd love to be able to come back to a forum or KudoZ question without having to wade through all those email alerts.

Big:

3. Clean up the KOG! The project is enormous, overwhelm
... See more
Little:

1. I *love* Juan Pablo's suggestion of an "agree" check box or line for forums. It would cut down on new postings just to say "I agree," while still giving us the chance to express ourselves.

2. Claudia's idea of on-site bookmarks or tabs would be very helpful. I'd love to be able to come back to a forum or KudoZ question without having to wade through all those email alerts.

Big:

3. Clean up the KOG! The project is enormous, overwhelming, but has to be done. Just make a term search and read what comes up and you'll see how bad it is. Divide the job into small hunks, ask volunteers to read, make suggestions, and pass it on, and have a carefully-chosen team make the final decisions. Huge task, but the result would be invaluable.

Monotonous:

After a lot of inner debate (because I'm kind of prudish, and I cringe when people aren't polite), I have to come down on the side of free speech. Cut back on the rules, ask moderators to be sparing in the enforcement, give users & members clear explanations of disciplinary action taken. And clear the air on that notorious fraud case! If true, someone is cheating us all and permanently damaging the site.
Collapse

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thinking on the future, but remembering the past (including very recent past) -- 250 words and title Sep 18, 2006

1. STRICT VIDDING: After a 3-month trial period, non-vidded users’ privileges are discontinued. During the trial period, KudoZ answers will award no points to the chosen answerer. Askers may avoid this "penalty” by getting vidded ASAP. This "rule" would have avoided the "Spanish earthquake" (in Kirill's words).

2. ADOPTION OF A CODE OF CONDUCT (Gianfranco’s): Starting point: ATA
... See more
1. STRICT VIDDING: After a 3-month trial period, non-vidded users’ privileges are discontinued. During the trial period, KudoZ answers will award no points to the chosen answerer. Askers may avoid this "penalty” by getting vidded ASAP. This "rule" would have avoided the "Spanish earthquake" (in Kirill's words).

2. ADOPTION OF A CODE OF CONDUCT (Gianfranco’s): Starting point: ATA’s CC (http://www.atanet.org/membership/code_of_professional_conduct.php)
For outsourcers, the ATA’s CC states, among other things: “B. I will adhere to agreed terms, payment schedules, and agreed changes, and will not capriciously change job descriptions after work has begun.” This impose certain professional behavior on outsourcers. Freelancers will be required, among other things, to 1. [master] the target language [to a level] equivalent to that of an educated native speaker. Per Gianfranco, outsourcerers and freelancers accepting to be bound by the CC will be able to show a CC logo. "All members with the CC logo would earn the trust of their business partners but, in case of documented breaches or in case of a single very severe breach of the rules, they would lose the privilege to sport this logo or even be expelled from the site, according to the specific case.”

3. TREATING MEMBERS/USERS WITH RESPECT (From Richard Creech): Two aspects, at least:
(a) No posting will be erased without explaining the infringer, in a private email, the rule breached AND how the rule applies to the alleged facts.
(b) Creation of ombudsman functions (for freelancers and outsourcers) as intermediaries between management and the community.

[Edited at 2006-09-18 21:57]
Collapse

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
One step before thinking big Sep 18, 2006

I know that, at this point, I am far from giving original suggestions. I am only backing what other colleagues have just said.

First, I don't think we can think big without clearing things up. Recent things have been upsetting for most of us and we cannot keep on as if nothing had happened.

Second, I would make forum rules more flexible. I can understand that a large community needs rules but there is no need to overact; we are adults after all.

Third, I wo
... See more
I know that, at this point, I am far from giving original suggestions. I am only backing what other colleagues have just said.

First, I don't think we can think big without clearing things up. Recent things have been upsetting for most of us and we cannot keep on as if nothing had happened.

Second, I would make forum rules more flexible. I can understand that a large community needs rules but there is no need to overact; we are adults after all.

Third, I would improve the system of job offers. In this respect, I agree with proposals put forward by Ma Fernanda Blessa and Aurora.
Collapse

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:12
French to English
+ ...
... Sep 18, 2006

I agree with many of the comments made so far, especially those made by Gianfranco and Sara Freitas-Maltaverne regarding expanded identity verification and Larissa's suggestion that the directory search for translators should be more prominently displayed.

In addition, I would not allow outsourcers to specify a rate when posting a job. Of course there are widely varying rates throughout the world but there is no excuse for an outsourcer in the UK, for example, offering significan
... See more
I agree with many of the comments made so far, especially those made by Gianfranco and Sara Freitas-Maltaverne regarding expanded identity verification and Larissa's suggestion that the directory search for translators should be more prominently displayed.

In addition, I would not allow outsourcers to specify a rate when posting a job. Of course there are widely varying rates throughout the world but there is no excuse for an outsourcer in the UK, for example, offering significantly below average rates for that country, as can been seen in a recent job posting. A freelancer is a self-employed person who should be setting his/her own rates, not accepting low rates imposed by an agency/outsourcer. Because so many of the jobs posted on Proz are for very low rates, this gives the mistaken impression that this is the norm.
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:12
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Less words, more suggestions Sep 19, 2006

1. I would stop implementing so many rules, filters and restrictions to members. We are all so sick and tired of them.

2. I would take good care of my clients: an unsatisfied client does not come back... Customer service and client satisfaction would be my two primary goals. This would include organizing the KOGs, just to mention an example.

3. I would do sth about my image as a company, and this means not allowing inappropriate job offers. There are so many people who
... See more
1. I would stop implementing so many rules, filters and restrictions to members. We are all so sick and tired of them.

2. I would take good care of my clients: an unsatisfied client does not come back... Customer service and client satisfaction would be my two primary goals. This would include organizing the KOGs, just to mention an example.

3. I would do sth about my image as a company, and this means not allowing inappropriate job offers. There are so many people who call Proz "bolsa de trabajo". And this really makes me feel very sad because I owe a lot to this once absolutely fantastic site.

4. I would not look down on non-paying members' opinions. They are as, or even more valuable than some of those who pay.

5. If I sell myself as a TRANSLATOR'S WORKPLACE I would focus on translators.

As a paying member I feel nobody gives a damn about my membership.

Sorry about the tone but I am really upset.

Andrea
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
My 3 Sep 19, 2006

1) One year term for Moderators. Abuse of power, irony, retaliation and childish behavior are not tolerated from members, the same rule should apply to Moderators. The longer you're in "power" the more "power" you actually believe you have. Come up with a system where we can vote for who our Moderators should be.

2) Limited posting by translators, I know at least a couple who have taken over the Spanish forum for the last 6 years hammering away at the rest of us with things that h
... See more
1) One year term for Moderators. Abuse of power, irony, retaliation and childish behavior are not tolerated from members, the same rule should apply to Moderators. The longer you're in "power" the more "power" you actually believe you have. Come up with a system where we can vote for who our Moderators should be.

2) Limited posting by translators, I know at least a couple who have taken over the Spanish forum for the last 6 years hammering away at the rest of us with things that have nothing to do with language. The limitation should include a maximum number of words, say it succintly, don't write a book about it. This would encourage participation from other members who have remained silent way too long. It would also give you an idea of who's who and what they stand for.

3) Do not discriminate based on political corectness. I will always call them as I see them. Pay attention to what we say. Almost everyone here has expressed their dissatisfaction with censorship. Don't try to cover-up the obvious, it doesn't work. We are all intelligent enough to 'figure things out'. Personal resentment from Moderators have no place in a professional site.

Belkis

[Edited at 2006-09-19 13:33]
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:42
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My wishlist Sep 19, 2006

1. Although proz.com is the top translator site with members from all languages groups, it still comes through as an American/European oriented site. Probably this reflects economic realities, but I would like to see it changed. To begin with I would localize the site into Hindi and initiate a Hindi forum.

2. I would make it possible to pay for memberships and other services in Indian rupees via normal payment methods like cheque within India itself.

3. I would make ide
... See more
1. Although proz.com is the top translator site with members from all languages groups, it still comes through as an American/European oriented site. Probably this reflects economic realities, but I would like to see it changed. To begin with I would localize the site into Hindi and initiate a Hindi forum.

2. I would make it possible to pay for memberships and other services in Indian rupees via normal payment methods like cheque within India itself.

3. I would make identity verification simpler and more practical. Currently I find it impossible or inconvenient to verify my identity through the existing methods.
Collapse

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Escrow payments! Sep 19, 2006

I am really surprised that no one mentioned this, but in my own humble opinion if this site had an escrow payments system it would have prevented many payment problems! how many of you didn't get paid for a translation job? how many agencies still owe you money? I believe the answer is many!
So my suggestion is to create an escrow payment system for all translation jobs, it can be free for paying members and you can also charge a small percentage for non-paying members, how about that?
... See more
I am really surprised that no one mentioned this, but in my own humble opinion if this site had an escrow payments system it would have prevented many payment problems! how many of you didn't get paid for a translation job? how many agencies still owe you money? I believe the answer is many!
So my suggestion is to create an escrow payment system for all translation jobs, it can be free for paying members and you can also charge a small percentage for non-paying members, how about that?
Thanks.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Communication - Responsiveness - Jobs overhaul Sep 19, 2006

Hi Henry,
Thanks for listening.

Here are my top three:

1. Improve communication with members and users: communicate what ProZ.com is going to do (i) at an early stage, (ii) well ahead of implementing key features, and (iii) as broadly as possible (where appropriate, outside ProZ.com, too) .

2. Respond quickly to members' and users' concerns, particularly to Support Requests - incorporate moderators into the process to accelerate handling.

... See more
Hi Henry,
Thanks for listening.

Here are my top three:

1. Improve communication with members and users: communicate what ProZ.com is going to do (i) at an early stage, (ii) well ahead of implementing key features, and (iii) as broadly as possible (where appropriate, outside ProZ.com, too) .

2. Respond quickly to members' and users' concerns, particularly to Support Requests - incorporate moderators into the process to accelerate handling.

3. Assign sufficient resources to an extensive overhaul of the Jobs system.

Didn't count, but I guess I'm below 250 words...

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Rating rates Sep 19, 2006

Much of the grumbling about ProZ comes from translators who would like to impose threshold rates of one sort or another, a practice that is illegal in many countries and contrary to the spirit of a free market.

In real life, most of the recent approaches I have had from outsourcers through ProZ have not even mentioned rates initially, merely the nature of the job with a query about my availability.

There is, however, a lot of time-wasting and "noise" from outsourcers wh
... See more
Much of the grumbling about ProZ comes from translators who would like to impose threshold rates of one sort or another, a practice that is illegal in many countries and contrary to the spirit of a free market.

In real life, most of the recent approaches I have had from outsourcers through ProZ have not even mentioned rates initially, merely the nature of the job with a query about my availability.

There is, however, a lot of time-wasting and "noise" from outsourcers who want work done for extremely low rates: these people are obviously in need of education and perhaps ProZ with its store of market data could be the teacher.

Here's how:

ask translators to specify (non-public, easily updatable) threshold rates for each language combination and sector;

encourage outsourcers, especially if new, to profile job offers in detail by sector etc;

if outsourcers want to specify a target rate, automatically calculate an average threshold rate from matching translator profiles;

inform the outsourcer privately that the offer is above/below this figure, perhaps with a note that actual rates applied may differ according to urgency, quantity, etc;

give translators periodic summary feedback on job offers in their sector(s).

Just a thought.

Giles

(1 point - 201 words)
Collapse

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
My 1.6 eurocents Sep 19, 2006

First and foremost, I would try and make my mind regarding whether I want the site to focus on/target translators or outsourcers, since it’s not easy to serve two lords at the same time.

Then, assuming I still wanted it to be “the translators workplace” as stated in the logo:

I would consider if I am happy that the site is globally perceived as a place where to get translations done on the cheap (and resented by many translators, even members of the site, as a cat
... See more
First and foremost, I would try and make my mind regarding whether I want the site to focus on/target translators or outsourcers, since it’s not easy to serve two lords at the same time.

Then, assuming I still wanted it to be “the translators workplace” as stated in the logo:

I would consider if I am happy that the site is globally perceived as a place where to get translations done on the cheap (and resented by many translators, even members of the site, as a catalyst of the present downward spiral of rates) and, if not, take measures accordingly (many suggestions have been made before in the fora and I’m sure many of us would be happy to concentrate them in a dedicated thread).

I would treat members/users as grown-up professionals (maybe, I would first ensure they are by IDVing profiles and even, as Sara suggested, asking for proof of legally practicing as translators), keeping rules and impositions to a minimum (plus explaining them properly, ahead of time and prominently enough), and putting freedom of speech second only to other members rights.

Not necessarily in this order... (193 words, including this parenthesis)
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:12
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Help translators receive small payments Sep 19, 2006

In 250 words I can fit only one suggestion, but I think it’s a very important suggestion for many of us.

Many translators living outside US and Europe are in a very disadvantaged condition because they cannot receive payments for small assignments. They cannot have PayPal or MoneyBookers accounts, because these sites do not work with their countries; they cannot accept checks because in many countries checks are not accepted or are cleared at very high commissions; and they cannot
... See more
In 250 words I can fit only one suggestion, but I think it’s a very important suggestion for many of us.

Many translators living outside US and Europe are in a very disadvantaged condition because they cannot receive payments for small assignments. They cannot have PayPal or MoneyBookers accounts, because these sites do not work with their countries; they cannot accept checks because in many countries checks are not accepted or are cleared at very high commissions; and they cannot receive small wire transfers, because banks charge up to US $ 50-70 for a wire transfer to these countries.

It would be a great help to us to have a Proz.com money account, where we could receive small payments, accumulate them, and once in two or three months receive a wire transfer on our bank accounts in our countries. I am sure many translators would be glad to pay a reasonable commission to Proz.com for such assistance and provide all documents to make sure Proz.com does not have any legal problems with the authorities for such transactions.

This would help all translators have equal possibilities, since many translation agencies do not want to work with translators, with whom they may have payment problems. Translation agencies would have an opportunity to choose their preferred payment method (online, check, wire transfer, credit card), that many translators, even in the US and Europe cannot provide them. More translation agencies would learn about Proz.com and become its members. More translators would become Proz.com members.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »