Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Staff message: Preparing a new easy profile editor. Feedback invited!
Thread poster: Colin Brady

Colin Brady
Local time: 00:09
SITE STAFF
Sep 28, 2006

Hi Everyone,

Jason and I have been working on a page that allows you to fill in some of the more important data from your profile that is most often required by job posters.

The page is located here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=quick_profile

Please note that this page uses the live database, and any changes you make will actually change your profile.

Thanks, feedback is appreciated!

Best Regards,
Colin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-09-29 15:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
cool! Sep 29, 2006

Love it.
And I have a map in my profile now!

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great Sep 29, 2006

It´s really great.

I could enter my location on the map.

Just one suggestion: is it possible to sort the specialty fields in order of importance instead of alphabeticaly?

Thanks a lot

Marina

[Edited at 2006-09-29 01:54]

Colin Brady
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Coming soon... Sep 29, 2006

Marina Soldati wrote:

Just one suggestion: is it possible to sort the specialty fields in order of importance instead of alphabeticaly?

Hi Marina,

We've had this suggestion already. It's something I have been working on, but it's not ready just yet.

Best Regards,
Colin

ciovo  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 05:09
English to Croatian
+ ...
Excellent Sep 29, 2006

The page looks great!

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Unicode problem in bottom left panel Sep 29, 2006

The bottom left box "Main 'About Me' section of profile" shows the free text contained on my profile page.
This text contains the word "Wörterbuch". The second letter of this word (an "o" with two dots over it) is displayed incorrectly in this panel. But it is correct on my profile page.

Bei Zhang
German to Chinese
+ ...
great Sep 29, 2006

it´s great...

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hmmm Not bad! Sep 29, 2006

But two areas could be improved, I think:

Sorting

The drag function in the language pair section is a nice idea, but you can't be sure exactly where the selected pair will actually drop when released. Maybe the 'current' drop location could be highlighted in some way...? (Like a folder for a file dragged in Windows is highlighted when it's the current target.)

If you plan to use a similar technique for sorting specialities (as per Marina's suggestion), the same comment will apply there, too.

Map

In this part of the world, it is impossible to set the map location accurately using the pan/zoon functions, because there are no maps available at 'local' level. So, I have to enter lat/long in the boxes. Despite some trial and error I have not yet discovered the correct format for this data... It would be very helpful to show an example of the format that should be used, just below the map.

And perhaps you could add a bit of script to check this *before* posting the data and tell the user to correct it or delete it, as it's the most likely thing on the page to contain errors.

MediaMatrix

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fields of Specialization Sep 29, 2006

The page is very nice ... but ...

My fields of specialization list anthropology and, in working fields, archaeology. I searched for those fields in the list, and they aren't there. I suppose that they are both subsumed under "social sciences" but how did I put them in the list in the first place (years ago)?

For archaeology, I wish that there were a separate listing because it is a very technical field, and the work I do isn't really "art" or "architecture" although it involves terms from both fields.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good feature Sep 29, 2006

Good and easy to handle. It simplifies profile editing.
Well done.

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are.. Sep 29, 2006

Hi Patricia,

The items in your specialty or working fields are no longer in the list.

You have to remove / delete them from your fields and then add them again where you want them. As soon as you remove / delete them from your specialty/working fieds, they appear in the list on the left.

Best regards,

Marina

Patricia Rosas wrote:

The page is very nice ... but ...

My fields of specialization list anthropology and, in working fields, archaeology. I searched for those fields in the list, and they aren't there. I suppose that they are both subsumed under "social sciences" but how did I put them in the list in the first place (years ago)?

For archaeology, I wish that there were a separate listing because it is a very technical field, and the work I do isn't really "art" or "architecture" although it involves terms from both fields.

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
Health Warning! Sep 29, 2006

I have visited the quick profile page three times today. And three times my browser* has got 'hung-up' and the only way out was Ctl-Alt-Del.

I suspect that the problem lies with the map feature. I recall reading somewhere that GoogleEarth requires XP - I'm still using Me**.

Pending confirmation from staff and / or a solution such as removing the map feature - which is just a gadget anyway - users may wish to avoid clicking the link at the top of this thread if they are not using XP.

MediaMatrix

* IE6.0.2800.1106

** For anyone who feels like suggesting I upgrade to XP - my hardware won't take XP and I don't have spare funds to replace 3 networked PCs and 2 laptops!

Jason Grimes
Local time: 23:09
SITE STAFF
Link to view page without the map--please let me know if it resolves the problem Sep 29, 2006

Hi mediamatrix,

Thanks for the bug report. Would you mind viewing the page without the map and letting me know if the problem persists? You can view the page without the map by clicking this link:

http://www.proz.com/quick_profile?show_map=n

Thanks,

Jason

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
So, with fingers crossed ... Sep 29, 2006

... I clicked the link ...

... and live to tell the tale.

In plain English: there seems to be no problem in the page without the map.

MediaMatrix

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
I'm offended by the traffic signs Sep 29, 2006

No, not really, just to get the attention of the Americans. I've decided to not take part in several ProZ. com features and your stupid traffic signs are ... stupid.

Regards,
Gerard

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Staff message: Preparing a new easy profile editor. Feedback invited!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search