Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Compilation of thread "Let's improve...3 things I would do if I were running ProZ.com" / Action plan
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion about surveys Oct 16, 2006

Hi,

I also agree with the survey idea already mentioned, and since I don't know how this is usually done, I have a suggestion (just ignore it if it has already been suggested or done this way in the past):

When you make a survey, make it by sending an email message, as opposed to using the website (that is, the usual poll tool). As you have mentioned in other threads, not all Proz.com members/users participate in this website/forums.

Once the survey email h
... See more
Hi,

I also agree with the survey idea already mentioned, and since I don't know how this is usually done, I have a suggestion (just ignore it if it has already been suggested or done this way in the past):

When you make a survey, make it by sending an email message, as opposed to using the website (that is, the usual poll tool). As you have mentioned in other threads, not all Proz.com members/users participate in this website/forums.

Once the survey email has been sent to/received by everyone (I don't know if you will send it to users and/or members only) and the deadline for submission is over, publish not only the results, but also a list of all the member/user profile names or nicknames, so that we all get an idea about how many people participated and that any claim about participants is 100% fully clear.

I don't mean that you need to publish what a given user/member voted, just publish their nickname/name to know that this person participated.

Regards,

Ivette
Collapse

chevirmen
chevirmen  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:33
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Kudoz Ads Survey Oct 17, 2006

I believe the current structure of Kudoz has some gaps which should be eliminated as soon as possible. As the recognition of the translators depends primarily on this concept, it should be considered thoroughly. Points OK yet membership or some completion percentage should be amust for answering or asking questions in Kudoz.

Secondly, promotion/advertisement of the translators should not be just limited to 20 word ad. A Paid and Detailed Advertisement should be added.

W
... See more
I believe the current structure of Kudoz has some gaps which should be eliminated as soon as possible. As the recognition of the translators depends primarily on this concept, it should be considered thoroughly. Points OK yet membership or some completion percentage should be amust for answering or asking questions in Kudoz.

Secondly, promotion/advertisement of the translators should not be just limited to 20 word ad. A Paid and Detailed Advertisement should be added.

When it comes to writing, it is hard to find things to say here. If the survey should already have references beforehand, we can comment on those OR you can devise something up with tick boxes allowing us to tick, comment, agree or disagree.
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good going. Oct 18, 2006

Great job guys, a lot of effort was put into this, applause is in order.

I'm all in favor of surveys.

If you plan to re-design the site in the future I would make a section for translators and another one for outsourcers. Make it easy for all of us and the site will be more defined. Right now everything is "out there" but no one seems to find it.

SO: Levels of expertise for Translators
New or beginner 1-3 years
Intermediate 4-8 years
Exp
... See more
Great job guys, a lot of effort was put into this, applause is in order.

I'm all in favor of surveys.

If you plan to re-design the site in the future I would make a section for translators and another one for outsourcers. Make it easy for all of us and the site will be more defined. Right now everything is "out there" but no one seems to find it.

SO: Levels of expertise for Translators
New or beginner 1-3 years
Intermediate 4-8 years
Expert 9-12 years
Master 12+ years
Access to: Kudoz, KOG, Forums, Polls, Articles, BB, etc.,

Outsourcers including their regular pay rate in order to filter unwanted jobs at a glance.
Levels: New
Regular
Frequent

Access to: Translators database, profiles, it's easier to look at a profile when you have a list per language combination including years of experience, fields of expertise, etc. No access to Forums.

A 900 number for the site (charged per minute to a credit card - this could also be an IDV for outsourcer) to contact translators for RUSH jobs. Come up with a Menu perhaps per language combination, expertise and rates, also availability according to our calendars, native countries, etc. I can't expand on this because I'm running out of my allotted 250 words. Think about it.

Regards and success.

Belkis

[Edited at 2006-10-18 04:22]

[Edited at 2006-10-18 04:22]

[Edited at 2006-10-18 04:25]
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Y? Oct 22, 2006

Enrique wrote:

We intend to release one action plan per week, beginning with the jobs plan at the end of next week. After releasing each plan, we will address specifically each of the suggestions that was made in this thread for that area. There will be discussion facilitated on each plan... and there will be ground rules designed to keep the process moving forward. We can't afford to get caught up on any one issue, so we are counting on your continued cooperation.

... See more
Enrique wrote:

We intend to release one action plan per week, beginning with the jobs plan at the end of next week. After releasing each plan, we will address specifically each of the suggestions that was made in this thread for that area. There will be discussion facilitated on each plan... and there will be ground rules designed to keep the process moving forward. We can't afford to get caught up on any one issue, so we are counting on your continued cooperation.

Y?
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Survey Oct 22, 2006

I also agree that a survey would be more easier both for members/users of the site and the staff.
If you accept I can help and design the survey and then the programers can work on it.
Just tell me what exactly should be contained.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Coming soon... Oct 22, 2006

I apologize for the delay, folks. We got caught up with Localization World and a few other things last week and still need to get moderator feedback before posting. We will come out with our postings in a few days.

To be clear, once again, what we will publish is:

1. Our jobs plan (in general terms, and including overview information on ProZ.com's jobs systems)

2. Reactions to the jobs-related suggestions that have been made in this thread.

The
... See more
I apologize for the delay, folks. We got caught up with Localization World and a few other things last week and still need to get moderator feedback before posting. We will come out with our postings in a few days.

To be clear, once again, what we will publish is:

1. Our jobs plan (in general terms, and including overview information on ProZ.com's jobs systems)

2. Reactions to the jobs-related suggestions that have been made in this thread.

The jobs plan we publish (ie. #1) will be the general jobs plan upon which we have been operating (previous to this thread.) We will post this to provide the context necessary for an understanding of (#2), ie. our reactions to the suggestions.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
One quick response to the suggestions... Oct 31, 2006

The jobs plan was released to moderators last week for their feedback before posting here publicly. Thank you for your patience!

In the meantime, I would like to respond to a few of the suggestions that will not fall within any of the areas we have broken out for action plans.

First, in response to the suggestion (made by several people) that a staff member should be assigned to the ProZ.com "Suggestions" forum, Justin--a developer--was assigned the task a few weeks ago
... See more
The jobs plan was released to moderators last week for their feedback before posting here publicly. Thank you for your patience!

In the meantime, I would like to respond to a few of the suggestions that will not fall within any of the areas we have broken out for action plans.

First, in response to the suggestion (made by several people) that a staff member should be assigned to the ProZ.com "Suggestions" forum, Justin--a developer--was assigned the task a few weeks ago. He (or others on the staff) has been responding to most threads made in that forum, and several actions have already been taken as a result. (Note: Justin has not responded to some of the policy-related suggestions. We anticipate that these will be easier to respond to after the action plans are posted.)
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
And now what? Wait 'til next year? Nov 12, 2006

Henry:

Back on October 15th, you promised that there would be a discussion on the major concerns identified in the thread you had started soliciting suggestions for improvement, and that you would devote one week to each content area. On October 22nd, you apologized for the delay, promising to begin the postponed discussion within a few days. On October 31st, you announced that the "Jobs Plan was released to moderators last week for their feedback before posting publicly" and thanke
... See more
Henry:

Back on October 15th, you promised that there would be a discussion on the major concerns identified in the thread you had started soliciting suggestions for improvement, and that you would devote one week to each content area. On October 22nd, you apologized for the delay, promising to begin the postponed discussion within a few days. On October 31st, you announced that the "Jobs Plan was released to moderators last week for their feedback before posting publicly" and thanked everyone for their patience. It is now November 12th.

Is the Jobs Plan still under discussion by the moderators? Are you awaiting feedback from moderators who are on vacation and don't have access to a computer? Did some other conference or issue get in the way, causing a further delay? Or is any commitment you make to your members simply subject to indefinite postponement?

I suppose that you don't really need to answer, since nobody except me seems to have noticed or cared.

Bob
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I noticed, but I'm not in a hurry. Nov 13, 2006

Robert Forstag wrote:

Henry:

Is any commitment you make to your members simply subject to indefinite postponement?

I suppose that you don't really need to answer, since nobody except me seems to have noticed or cared.

Bob

Bob, I noticed. I care. I live in a country that virtually shuts down from Thanksgiving until Octavitas (8 days after Three Kings Day/Epiphany--January 15, in other words). So I've had to learn patience.

I'd rather have a late (OK, very late) but well thought-out proposal than one that was rushed to meet a self-imposed deadline.

I'm not arguing with your point of view; there are credibility and professionalism issues here, for sure. I'm just stating my point of view.

Jane

[Edited at 2006-11-13 21:30]

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also noticed, Robert Nov 24, 2006

Robert Forstag wrote:

Bob

Robert, thanks for taking the time to make such a clear summary about this issue. To me it's clear that this will be, if at all solved, next year.

Like Jane mentioned, I am in no hurry and I can understand that there are holidays coming and this might be the reason for delays.

What I don't find "serious" is for Proz.com not to have *clearly* stated that these changes/improvements will (might?) take place *next year*, not this year.

Also, we keep seeing that there is enough time for site promotion campaigns, site achievement summaries, press releases and other self-promotion actions, but apparently not enough time (or at least not the time clearly promised) for some of the really crucial/priority changes promised to the *community* (that is, the community of *customers*).

Therefore, Robert is absolutely right: how do you think a customer would feel if I kept delaying the delivery of my translation jobs? I would certainly have lost that customer the minute I had asked for an unjustified delay.

Therefore, Proz.com management, we, your customers, can be patient, but maybe you should *carefully* choose your words when your proposals involve dates, in order not to jeopardize your credibility as a business.

And, once again, this is constructive criticism and I hope you see it as such.

Regards,

Ivette

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Delayed but still on the announced path Nov 24, 2006

Dear members,

In hindsight my announcement at http://www.proz.com/post/435412#435412 was too optimistic regarding the announced dates for the individual plans. Many other activities have competed for scarce time and the plans have been delayed.

On the other hand this does not mean that we will depart from the announced path, we will publish the eight sections of the genera
... See more
Dear members,

In hindsight my announcement at http://www.proz.com/post/435412#435412 was too optimistic regarding the announced dates for the individual plans. Many other activities have competed for scarce time and the plans have been delayed.

On the other hand this does not mean that we will depart from the announced path, we will publish the eight sections of the general plan as soon as each of them is available and we will use them as a road map for our efforts to improve the site during the remainder of this year and most of 2007.

Thanks for your patience,

Enrique
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
be careful Nov 28, 2006

If you wait too long, the corpse may already be cold.....

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
First plan posted... Jan 13, 2007

See: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/956/1

ProZ.com overview and action plan (#1 of 8): Sourcing (ie. jobs / directory)

I posted in the initial thread - http://www.proz.com/post/487516#487516 - to provide some context, and to request that as
... See more
See: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/956/1

ProZ.com overview and action plan (#1 of 8): Sourcing (ie. jobs / directory)

I posted in the initial thread - http://www.proz.com/post/487516#487516 - to provide some context, and to request that as a first step, we limit discussion to clarification of the plan we posted. The next thing we will do is respond one-by-one to all suggestions previously made related to jobs.

I am locking this thread so that discussion will not continue in two places. We welcome your feedback and requests for clarification in the original "What I would do" thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/55502?pg=e

Thanks!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compilation of thread "Let's improve...3 things I would do if I were running ProZ.com" / Action plan

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »