Thread poster: Francesco Volpe
Francesco Volpe
Francesco Volpe  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:23
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2002

Has anybody else lost any Kudoz points because of the server problem?

I haven\'t been accredited for 12 points for answers given on the 30th October and I\'d like to know if there are other people in the same conditions. Even though I understand Proz staff conditions at this time, I must also say that, considered I\'m a paying member, I would have expected some kind of answer in this matter. I do not mind if points are not awarded after all, but at least a word from Henry about a solut
... See more
Has anybody else lost any Kudoz points because of the server problem?

I haven\'t been accredited for 12 points for answers given on the 30th October and I\'d like to know if there are other people in the same conditions. Even though I understand Proz staff conditions at this time, I must also say that, considered I\'m a paying member, I would have expected some kind of answer in this matter. I do not mind if points are not awarded after all, but at least a word from Henry about a solutions (if any) for this problem would be appreciated.
Collapse

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Isn't life a bitch? Nov 5, 2002

Francesco wrote:

\"I haven\'t been accredited for 12 points for answers given on the 30th October and I\'d like to know if there are other people in the same conditions. Even though I understand Proz staff conditions at this time, I must also say that, considered I\'m a paying member, I would have expected some kind of answer in this matter.\"

Just when I thought the problems in the world couldn\'t get any worse, this happens!

xeni (X)
xeni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, I also lost points... Nov 5, 2002

I was also unlucky and lost 12 points. All those questions (and I\'m sure some others) just disappeared. But I\'m not a paying memeber, so I swallowed it Right now I\'m mentioning it only because you asked if there were other people like you.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:23
SITE FOUNDER
Explanation Nov 5, 2002

Sorry we did not get word to you, Francesco. A few notes have been posted, but I can see how you would have missed them.

To explain: Approximately 30 hours of data was lost (permanently) in two incidents, one on October 30-31 and the next on November 1. We do not have a way to recover that data.

All jobs, bids, questions and answers posted during those two periods are gone, along with associated KudoZ points.

I apologize for the inco
... See more
Sorry we did not get word to you, Francesco. A few notes have been posted, but I can see how you would have missed them.

To explain: Approximately 30 hours of data was lost (permanently) in two incidents, one on October 30-31 and the next on November 1. We do not have a way to recover that data.

All jobs, bids, questions and answers posted during those two periods are gone, along with associated KudoZ points.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by my lack of forsight. While I was convinced we had fully redundant systems, this turns out to have not been the case. Our system to take backups worked (that is whay we did not lose all data when the database server and then backup database server went down.) However, our system to replicate the database on the fly did not work.

This is the second time in our 3-year history that data has been lost. We are taking steps to reduce the likelihood that data loss will occur again soon.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. At the same time, I am encouraged by all the support the moderators and site users provided during this rough outage! In the end, I believe the service will be better as a result of this incident.

Henry
Collapse

Francesco Volpe
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your remark Nov 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-05 16:45, (Dave) wrote:

Francesco wrote:

\"I haven\'t been accredited for 12 points for answers given on the 30th October and I\'d like to know if there are other people in the same conditions. Even though I understand Proz staff conditions at this time, I must also say that, considered I\'m a paying member, I would have expected some kind of answer in this matter.\"

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-05 16:45, (Dave) wrote:

Francesco wrote:

Just when I thought the problems in the world couldn\'t get any worse, this happens!

Your irony really makes me laugh...maybe you should start a career as entertainer on TV!

I\'m not killing myself for these points. I\'m an inhouse translator so I do not need them. I\'m just talking about people responsible for the site giving explanation for this. That\'s all.

Collapse

Lila del Cerro
Lila del Cerro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does anybody really need the KudoZ? Nov 6, 2002

I\'ve been in ProZ only a couple of months, so maybe I\'m missing something? Of course I know about bids rating, etc., but anyway...

I honestly think the ProZ staff must have had a really hard time, and IMHO lost KudoZ must (and should) have been their most insignificant concern.

Cheers!

Francesco Volpe
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for explanations Nov 6, 2002

Henry,

thank you for the explanations. I had accessed Proz after 2 days form the problem and I had not realized what was going on. I also was not able to read the other forum pages so I was unaware of other explanations.

Once again, for Lila and David, I\'m not interested in kudoz race. I just did not have the explanation I have now.

Francesco Volpe
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for explanations Nov 6, 2002

Henry,

thank you for the explanations. I had accessed Proz after 2 days form the problem and I had not realized what was going on. I also was not able to read the other forum pages so I was unaware of other explanations.

Once again, for Lila and David, I\'m not interested in kudoz race. I just did not have the explanation I have now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ points lost

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »