Colleague crosslinking - what is the point?
Thread poster: Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 20, 2006

This issue has been previously mentioned in two threads:
1. Release announcement: New profile format http://www.proz.com/topic/45409?start=0&float= april 20
2. Feature access changes: site to be both more open and more focused http://www.proz.com/post/320701#320701 March 24
... See more
This issue has been previously mentioned in two threads:
1. Release announcement: New profile format http://www.proz.com/topic/45409?start=0&float= april 20
2. Feature access changes: site to be both more open and more focused http://www.proz.com/post/320701#320701 March 24

However, the point was lost among so many other things and several questions remained unansewered. That is why I am placing it brand new here. I think the feature deserves a thread of its own.

Bugs mentioned in those previous posts were fortunately fixed, but I still don`t understand how this feature really works.

When I include a colleague in my profile as referral, does it mean that his/her profile will also show a link to mine? Is it automatic?

Do I have to ask him/her for permission?

Does he/she have to accept or do anything manually to include me?

Can anybody explain how this works, please? Maybe even giving actual, current examples, some links to profiles that already use this feature?

Feedback on the feature might also be useful.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Walter
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:18
Polish to English
+ ...
Seconded Dec 20, 2006

[quote]Walter Landesman wrote:

When I include a colleague in my profile as referral, does it mean that his/her profile will also show a link to mine? Is it automatic?

Do I have to ask him/her for permission?

Does he/she have to accept or do anything manually to include me?

Can anybody explain how this works, please? Maybe even giving actual, current examples, some links to profiles that already use this feature?

Hi, Walter,

I've been wondering exactly the same things.

- Do I need to agree this with colleagues?

- If I crosslink with a colleague, is that crosslink automatically a two-way street?

- How does it work?

Thank you for raising it

All the best,
Caryl

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:18
English to Romanian
Some answers, from my experience Dec 20, 2006

Colleague crosslinking is not automatically bidirectional.
To include you, your colleague has to click on "Edit referrals" and insert your name or ID number.
No notification is sent to the persons being linked, you can ask them for permission, but you can also include anyone you want without asking.
I don't find the feature particularly useful, but... I like to see my colleagues in my profile.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:18
English to Spanish
in my experience Dec 20, 2006

Hi

I have been referring two colleagues in my profile for months now. I do not think you have to ask for permission but I chose to ask them just in case anyway (I think it is best to). They do not link to your profile automatically, it is up to them to do it.

It is very easy, just follow the instructions (you access the link via in the Settings tab) and keep in mind that you'll be ask to highlight only one speciality (you'll have to check with your colleague on which
... See more
Hi

I have been referring two colleagues in my profile for months now. I do not think you have to ask for permission but I chose to ask them just in case anyway (I think it is best to). They do not link to your profile automatically, it is up to them to do it.

It is very easy, just follow the instructions (you access the link via in the Settings tab) and keep in mind that you'll be ask to highlight only one speciality (you'll have to check with your colleague on which one to choose) and you might want to make sure the refferal shows (see the "toggle visibility" option).

You'll find you can only include paying prozians, unfortunately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that I find a bit confusing is the "toggle visibility" option. If I chose the hidden option (at the moment it is not hidden in my profile), who can see that I am reffering them? (the client/outsourcer only?, them and the reffered colleague?, nobody????)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-12-20 09:54]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But... Dec 20, 2006

Thanks Marta and Maria for your answers.

But then, if it is not automatic, what is the use? If I can do it whitout him/her knowing, and he/she doesn`t do it unless I ask him/her to.....

Since the feature was originally called automatic referral, I asumed it was automatic crosslinking.

Any word from staff?

Walter

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:18
SITE FOUNDER
It is all up to you to work out - the benefit may be increased client flow Dec 20, 2006

Hi Walter,

Thanks for asking. Here is what we were thinking. Let's say you do English to Spanish, but you don't do Spanish to English. Is there a trusted colleague you can recommend? Maybe that colleague only does English to Spanish, and trusts your work enough to link back to you.

So this may be a way for friends to boost the traffic to each other's profiles.

There is also a search engine benefit to this. Google will see that you link to a certain colleagu
... See more
Hi Walter,

Thanks for asking. Here is what we were thinking. Let's say you do English to Spanish, but you don't do Spanish to English. Is there a trusted colleague you can recommend? Maybe that colleague only does English to Spanish, and trusts your work enough to link back to you.

There is also a search engine benefit to this. Google will see that you link to a certain colleague, and that that colleague links to you, and assign a small benefit to each of your pages. By crosslinking, you both increase your chances somewhat of coming up high in the results list when potential clients search Google, etc.

That is what we were thinking, anyway. How is it being used in practice? Has it been effective? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used the feature, because it has not been used that much and we have not had a lot of feedback.

(Thanks, Marta and Maria!)
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not automatic Dec 20, 2006

Henry wrote:
Hi Walter,

There is also a search engine benefit to this. Google will see that you link to a certain colleague, and that that colleague links to you, and assign a small benefit to each of your pages. By crosslinking, you both increase your chances somewhat of coming up high in the results list when potential clients search Google, etc.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for responding.

So, do you mean the feature is not automatic, then? Do we (a colleague and I) have to agree on this and include each other`s name MANUALLY?
If this is so, why was the feature mentioned as "automatic" then?

Isn`t it possible, for example, to inform AA that CC has included his/her name in the profile page and invite him/her to do the same if he/she accepts? Just wondering.

More feedbacks from colleagues and links to examples will be most welcomed.

Trying to find out more about the feature,

Walter

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:18
English to Romanian
It depends whether you are a member or not Dec 20, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:
So, do you mean the feature is not automatic, then? Do we (a colleague and I) have to agree on this and include each other`s name MANUALLY?
If this is so, why was the feature mentioned as "automatic" then?

Maybe this is because you have a partial membership?

"Entering referrals is optional. However, if you are not a member, referrals may be generated automatically when your profile is viewed by search engine visitors."

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NO Dec 20, 2006

Maria Diaconu wrote:

Maybe this is because you have a partial membership?

"Entering referrals is optional. However, if you are not a member, referrals may be generated automatically when your profile is viewed by search engine visitors."

Hi Maria,
No, I don`t have a partial membership, I am a full site member.

Besides, I am asking how the systems works for anybody, despite being a full or partial member.

[Edited at 2006-12-20 14:50]

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:18
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Succes story - client used the link Dec 20, 2006

Hi Henry,
I put the link to Caroline on my profile, because often people asked me to translate German > Dutch but I only translate into my mother tongue German.
I also liked the idea to help her to increase the traffic on her profile site, because she was a new member.
With the mouseover over her foto a text appears in German for clients who are looking for German> Dutch "my colleague will translate your text professionally and in the right style" (my German is better than
... See more
Hi Henry,
I put the link to Caroline on my profile, because often people asked me to translate German > Dutch but I only translate into my mother tongue German.
I also liked the idea to help her to increase the traffic on her profile site, because she was a new member.
With the mouseover over her foto a text appears in German for clients who are looking for German> Dutch "my colleague will translate your text professionally and in the right style" (my German is better than my English)
Last week I got a feedback from her that a good client of mine contacted her via the link.
The client was looking for German>Dutch and not quite sure if I was offering that language pair.
The client told me afterwards and was happy that she found Caroline.
Very effective way of recommending.
Steffi
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Colleague crosslinking - what is the point?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »