Thread poster: Percy Balemans (X)
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:43
Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for letting us know Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for letting us know about Umida. We definitely should do something about it. I will also try to find more information.

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have contacted FronLine Defenders Apr 16, 2007

Hello,

I am a volunteer translator for occasional texts from an organization called Front Line, The International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, so I have sent the url and a query to the person I usually write to, to see if something else can be done.

Will keep everyone posted. I will also contact AI Spain, I belong to the Urgent cases network.

More later.

... See more
Hello,

I am a volunteer translator for occasional texts from an organization called Front Line, The International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, so I have sent the url and a query to the person I usually write to, to see if something else can be done.

Will keep everyone posted. I will also contact AI Spain, I belong to the Urgent cases network.

More later.

Best,

Mar
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:43
Spanish
+ ...
AI Apr 16, 2007

From the AI web site:

RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send appeals to arrive as quickly as possible, in English, Russian, Uzbek or your own language:

- expressing concern for the safety and well-being of Umida Niazova and calling for guarantees that she will not be tortured or ill-treated in detention and that she will get access to necessary medical attention;

- stating that Amnesty International considers Umida Niazova to be a prisoner of conscience, imprisoned solely for carrying out her human rights work, and calling for her immediate release;

- urging the authorities to ensure that everyone can peacefully exercise their right to freedom of expression in conformity with Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which Uzbekistan is a State Party;

- reminding the authorities of the right of human rights defenders to carry out their activities without any restrictions or fear of reprisals, as set out in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights and Responsibilities of Individuals, Groups and Institutions to Promote and Protect Universally Recognised Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

APPEALS TO: (Please note that it can be difficult getting through to fax numbers in Uzbekistan. If a voice answers, repeat "fax" until you hear the signal; otherwise leave your fax machine on auto-redial if possible. Fax machines may be switched off outside office hours – 5 hours ahead of GMT):

President
Islam KARIMOV, Rezidentsia prezidenta, ul. Uzbekistanskaia 43, 700163 Tashkent, UZBEKISTAN
Fax: + 998 71 139 53 25; email: [email protected]
Salutation: Dear President Karimov

Minister of Internal Affairs
Bakhodir MATLIUBOV, Ministerstvo vnutrennikh del RU, ul. Novruz 1, 700029 Tashkent, UZBEKISTAN
Fax: + 998 71 133 89 34
Salutation: Dear Minister Matliubov

Prosecutor General
Rashidzhon KODIROV
Prokuratura Respubliki Uzbekistan, ul. Gulyamova, 66, 700047 Tashkent, UZBEKISTAN
Fax. + 998 71 133 39 17/ 133 73 68, e-mail: [email protected]
Salutation: Dear Procurator General

COPIES TO:

Minister of Foreign Affairs
Vladimir NOROV, Ministerstvo inostrannikh del RU, Mustakillik pl. 5, 700029 Tashkent, UZBEKISTAN
Fax: +998 71 139 15 17, e-mail: [email protected][/b]

and to diplomatic representatives of Uzbekistan accredited to your country.

PLEASE SEND ANY REPLIES FROM THE UZBEKISTAN AUTHORITIES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO THE INTERNATIONAL SECRETARIAT OF AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL (Eurasia Research and Campaign Team, Amnesty International, I Easton Street, London WC1X 0DW, United Kingdom)

Another email, the Embassy of Uzbekistan in the United States: [email protected]

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGEUR620012007

I think this thread should be made a sticky.

[Edited at 2007-04-16 21:29]

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:43
TOPIC STARTER
This is the info we've been looking for! Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for finding this link Claudia! I had already searched the AI website, but used the spelling from the article I found, which is why I didn't find it.

This case is from February, but I'm sure the info can still be used.

Tati Clau
Tati Clau

English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd gladly join a campaign too. Apr 16, 2007

Thank you Percy.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 08:43
Italian to English
Revolting Apr 16, 2007

All I can say is that this is simply DISGUSTING!! I hope this will never happen to me or any of my colleagues.

Robert

Marsha Way
Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks everyone Apr 16, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for everyone wanting to do something. Letter campaigns DO work (a little over a year ago we translated the (thousands! of) letters from a campaign for a human rights worker and it really does make a difference. I am going to have the translation students at school each write one!

filipa ceia
filipa ceia  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Portuguese media Apr 16, 2007

I have already passed this info to some journalists I know. They work at national radio stations and newspapers and they promised they will try their best.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:43
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
with Jason Apr 17, 2007

Dr. Jason Faulkner wrote:
It is better to live on your feet than to die on your knees!

I fully agree with your point. Live on our feet, in peace and freedom. Let's help Umida!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:43
English to Thai
+ ...
Freedom of occupation Apr 17, 2007

I think this will make me think twice about our behaviors as we have as a translator. Violating laws and our intention (in legal terms) to violate laws should be reviewed differently. Definitely puts things into perspective of this occupation.

Regards,

Soonthon L.

Michael Deliso
Michael Deliso  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Boycotting!! Apr 17, 2007

If the news is circulated properly and with a petiton to boycott all and any translations/interpreter work to/from Uzbeki language, it would probably hit the spot and make many aware of the fact that anyway she was doing her job. Summoning all translators/interpreters of that language would not be that difficult.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:43
Japanese to English
I just sent my petition Apr 17, 2007

If anyone receives any updates on her whereabouts or well-being, please let us know. I'll do the same.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amnesty International call for action Apr 17, 2007

Amnesty International Urgent Action – EUR 62/001/2007

6 February 2007

Amnesty International is concerned for the safety and the well-being of human rights defender Umida Niazova, who has been in detention in Uzbekistan since 22 January 2007. Amnesty International considers Umida Niazova to be a prisoner of conscience, detained solely for carrying out her human rights activities, and calls for her to be released from detention immediately and uncondition
... See more
Amnesty International Urgent Action – EUR 62/001/2007

6 February 2007

Amnesty International is concerned for the safety and the well-being of human rights defender Umida Niazova, who has been in detention in Uzbekistan since 22 January 2007. Amnesty International considers Umida Niazova to be a prisoner of conscience, detained solely for carrying out her human rights activities, and calls for her to be released from detention immediately and unconditionally.

Thirty-two-year old Umida Niazova, an independent human rights activist and journalist, spent the first four days of her detention unable to communicate with the outside world in a prison in Andizhan, in the south-east of the country, near the border with Kyrgyzstan, where she was detained on 22 January. On 26 January she was moved to the capital Tashkent. In custody at the General Transport Prosecutor’s office she was allowed to contact her lawyer and to meet briefly with a relative. She was reported to have appeared tired and drawn with swollen and red-rimmed eyes. She reportedly said she had been unable to sleep and was worried about what would happen to her. She was also concerned about her two-year-old son. On 28 January she was transferred to the pre-trial detention facility at Tashkent prison (Tashtiurma). She was charged with illegally crossing the Uzbekistani border under Article 223 of the Uzbekistani Criminal Code and with smuggling literature of a subversive and "extremist" nature into the country under Article 246. Both articles carry possible prison terms of up to 10 years. She was remanded in custody for three months.

The main charge against her – smuggling – relates to an earlier incident on 21 December 2006 when Umida Niazova was detained for nine hours by transport police as she cleared customs at Tashkent airport. She had just returned from a human rights seminar in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Although she was released after questioning, police confiscated her laptop computer, flashcard and passport. No criminal charges were brought but she had to sign an undertaking not to leave the country and cooperate with prosecutors in their investigation into possible offences committed by her, namely possession of anti-state materials on her laptop computer. Her laptop was sent for expert examination to establish whether any materials stored on it were of a subversive or extremist nature. Among the materials contained on the laptop was reportedly the published report on the Andizhan mass killings in May 2005 by the international non-governmental organization (NGO) Human Rights Watch (HRW). Umida Niazova has been working for HRW’s office in Tashkent as a translator. She had previously worked for the international freedom of expression NGOs Internews and Freedom House. There was concern that the authorities were threatening Umida Niazova with criminal prosecution in order to intimidate her and to deter her from pursuing her human rights activities.

In January 2007 Umida Niazova’s lawyer informed her that her laptop had been examined and that the experts had apparently decided that there were no grounds to bring criminal charges against her. She was due to meet her lawyer in Tashkent on 22 January to collect her laptop and her passport; however, she was detained before she could get to Tashkent. As transpired six days later, the criminal charges had not been dropped.

RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send appeals to arrive as quickly as possible, in English, Russian, Uzbek or your own language:

- expressing concern for the safety and well-being of Umida Niazova and calling for guarantees that she will not be tortured or ill-treated in detention and that she will get access to necessary medical attention;

- stating that Amnesty International considers Umida Niazova to be a prisoner of conscience, imprisoned solely for carrying out her human rights work, and calling for her immediate release;

- urging the authorities to ensure that everyone can peacefully exercise their right to freedom of expression in conformity with Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which Uzbekistan is a State Party;- reminding the authorities of the right of human rights defenders to carry out their activities without any restrictions or fear of reprisals, as set out in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights and Responsibilities of Individuals, Groups and Institutions to Promote and Protect Universally Recognised Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

APPEALS TO: (Please note that it can be difficult getting through to fax numbers in Uzbekistan. If a voice answers, repeat "fax" until you hear the signal; otherwise leave your fax machine on auto-redial if possible. Fax machines may be switched off outside office hours – 5 hours ahead of GMT):

President Islam KARIMOV, Rezidentsia prezidenta, ul. Uzbekistanskaia 43, 700163 Tashkent, UZBEKISTANFax: + 998 71 139 53 25; email: [email protected] Salutation: Dear President Karimov

Minister of Internal AffairsBakhodir MATLIUBOV, Ministerstvo vnutrennikh del RU, ul. Novruz 1, 700029 Tashkent, UZBEKISTANFax: + 998 71 133 89 34 Salutation: Dear Minister Matliubov

Prosecutor General Rashidzhon KODIROVProkuratura Respubliki Uzbekistan, ul. Gulyamova, 66, 700047 Tashkent, UZBEKISTANFax. + 998 71 133 39 17/ 133 73 68, e-mail: [email protected]: Dear Procurator General

COPIES TO:

Minister of Foreign AffairsVladimir NOROV, Ministerstvo inostrannikh del RU, Mustakillik pl. 5, 700029 Tashkent, UZBEKISTANFax: +998 71 139 15 17, e-mail: [email protected] to diplomatic representatives of Uzbekistan accredited to your country.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Form International Pen Apr 17, 2007

Uzbekistan: Concerns on the Detention of journalist Umida Niyazova
Author(s): Sara Whyatt - WiPC Programme Director
Date: 21st February, 2007

International PEN is deeply concerned about the imprisonment of journalist and human rights defender Umida Niyazova. It believes that she is being held for her reporting on human rights abuses in Uzbekistan, and for her criticism of the government, and is held in violation of Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and P
... See more
Uzbekistan: Concerns on the Detention of journalist Umida Niyazova
Author(s): Sara Whyatt - WiPC Programme Director
Date: 21st February, 2007

International PEN is deeply concerned about the imprisonment of journalist and human rights defender Umida Niyazova. It believes that she is being held for her reporting on human rights abuses in Uzbekistan, and for her criticism of the government, and is held in violation of Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, to which Uzbekistan is a party and which guarantees the right to freedom of expression. International PEN calls for Umida Niyazova’s immediate and unconditional release.
http://www.internationalpen.org.uk/index.php?pid=33&aid=552&type=current
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
updating info Apr 17, 2007

On April 9, 2007, the Uzbek Prosecutor's office charged Umida with one more offense -- "creating or distributing materials threatening public security and order using financial resources provided by religious organizations, foreign governments, organizations and citizens," (Article 244-1 of the Uzbek criminal code). Deemed one of the most serious crimes in Uzbekistan, Article 244-1 carries maximum penalty of ten years in prison.

At the same time, Umida's attorney said that the Gene
... See more
On April 9, 2007, the Uzbek Prosecutor's office charged Umida with one more offense -- "creating or distributing materials threatening public security and order using financial resources provided by religious organizations, foreign governments, organizations and citizens," (Article 244-1 of the Uzbek criminal code). Deemed one of the most serious crimes in Uzbekistan, Article 244-1 carries maximum penalty of ten years in prison.

At the same time, Umida's attorney said that the General Prosecutor's office finished investigating her case, which will now be transferred to the Uzbek court. Most Uzbek human rights defenders have little faith that the court, notorious for its corruption and lack of independence from the executive branch, will acquit Umida. However, they have stressed the need for western embassies to dispatch monitors to the trial to serve as witnesses to the event.
http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=353
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator arrested for translating human rights material

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »