Suspicious job posting - must be available 365/365?
Thread poster: Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to German
+ ...
Dec 19, 2002

Would this be serious?

http://www.proz.com/job?id=29910.

What is suspicious to me is that. according to the text, I will be solely responsible for a certain language pair, virtually, with no regard to what field of expertise is concerned. And that I will have to find me a replacement when I will be unable to do a job for a certain period.

Does anyone have
... See more
Would this be serious?

http://www.proz.com/job?id=29910.

What is suspicious to me is that. according to the text, I will be solely responsible for a certain language pair, virtually, with no regard to what field of expertise is concerned. And that I will have to find me a replacement when I will be unable to do a job for a certain period.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of advertisements?

Your reply will be very much appreciated

Thanks

Steffen
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:10
Finnish to English
Closed Dec 19, 2002

The posting has been closed.

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:10
English
+ ...
Well, some direct experience Dec 19, 2002

...I\'d sign for a language pair or not: that\'s what this job is about: fielding whatever God & Co. throw at us.

But for the replacement part, I\'d sign \"will use his best efforts to\" which doesn not commit you to obtaining a result. Throw in a sentence about giving them a month\'s notice (or a week or three months or whatever) so that, from a legal stnadpoint, it is clear that they knew you were off to Bali or Boro Boro and had due notice to start scouting around TOO.

I h
... See more
...I\'d sign for a language pair or not: that\'s what this job is about: fielding whatever God & Co. throw at us.

But for the replacement part, I\'d sign \"will use his best efforts to\" which doesn not commit you to obtaining a result. Throw in a sentence about giving them a month\'s notice (or a week or three months or whatever) so that, from a legal stnadpoint, it is clear that they knew you were off to Bali or Boro Boro and had due notice to start scouting around TOO.

I have had experience of that in China,where universities used to get away with getting foreign teachers to agree to securing their replacements -- and then losing the price of their airfare home for failing to dig up somebody. Of course, the schools knew there would be a problem and either solved it behind the teacher\'s back, or didn\'t, went replaced the foreign teacher with a local one, and saved themselves about USD400.

Enjoy!
Collapse

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Forget it ! Dec 19, 2002

When I started working independent, I had to struggle to work as a consultant and worked with people who talked to me about the next job when I asked hem to pay the previous ones. Awful experience as this induces a lot of stress (the feeling of being screwed if you allow me this word).

Maybe this agency is Ok with payments but this kind of statement sounds very unprofessional. Suppose you are employee in a company, do you have to find a remplacement when you go on holidays or get sick
... See more
When I started working independent, I had to struggle to work as a consultant and worked with people who talked to me about the next job when I asked hem to pay the previous ones. Awful experience as this induces a lot of stress (the feeling of being screwed if you allow me this word).

Maybe this agency is Ok with payments but this kind of statement sounds very unprofessional. Suppose you are employee in a company, do you have to find a remplacement when you go on holidays or get sick ?

Find more relaxing clients is my advice.

Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Can't see it Dec 19, 2002

The job posting has been closed, so I can\'t see it, but I have a client (agency) with whom I have an agreement to find a replacement when I\'m not available. It\'s an agreement that benefits both parties: they are sure they can always rely on me and I am sure of a certain amount of work.

In fact, all they do, is co-ordinate the translations for a certain client, who needs translations into a large number of languages.

The fact that I always have to be available and that I so
... See more
The job posting has been closed, so I can\'t see it, but I have a client (agency) with whom I have an agreement to find a replacement when I\'m not available. It\'s an agreement that benefits both parties: they are sure they can always rely on me and I am sure of a certain amount of work.

In fact, all they do, is co-ordinate the translations for a certain client, who needs translations into a large number of languages.

The fact that I always have to be available and that I sometimes have to subcontract jobs, has been taken into account when we agreed on the price (that means a higher price).
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
http://www.adverbage.com Dec 19, 2002

I think \"101translations\" it is a clon of \"Adverbage...\" (check it,please).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.101translations.com

Introducing 101translations... See more
I think \"101translations\" it is a clon of \"Adverbage...\" (check it,please).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.101translations.com

Introducing 101translations

Welcome to the best, fastest, and most cost-effective solution for your professional translations available today.

This is why we can serve you better:

We work only through the Web – no rent to pay, no secretaries, no expensive office downtown.

The result: we pass the savings on to you!

Our translators are fully qualified and carefully selected – yet most of them live in countries with lower living costs.

The result: you pay less and you get a better job!

We have all the advantages of an international agency without the attached cost. Everyone at 101translations works from home!

The result: fast responses and fast turnaround!

Contact us now or learn more about us, or check out our key customer list. You will see why we are the #1 translation agency!

101Translations.com is a division of Adverbage Ltd., New Ross, Ireland

© 2002 Adverbage Ltd. - All rights reserved - Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

Flags courtesy of ITA\'s Flags of All Countries used with permission.

[ This Message was edited byn2002-12-19 17:27]

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-19 19:03]
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:10
English
+ ...
All things considered, Dec 19, 2002

...if you have a solid network of fellow translators, charge more to sign that clause as our colleague cleverly already does.

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 20, 2002

Fortunately, the posting has been closed in the meantime.

Anyway, I\'d have my hands kept off. Too suspicious.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

Steffen

101translations
101translations  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 02:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The job posting was serious, folks! Jan 1, 2003

Hello,

as the poster of the job you are discussing, I would like to make a few comments to your posts.

1) The job was closed because of a problem with its originating IP which was too similar to the IP of a TOTALLY UNRELATED individual who was using stolen credit cards. We were unwittingly caught in ProZ\'s attempts to stop that person. You can ask Henry Dotterer to substantiate this.

2) The reason why we want translators to take car
... See more
Hello,

as the poster of the job you are discussing, I would like to make a few comments to your posts.

1) The job was closed because of a problem with its originating IP which was too similar to the IP of a TOTALLY UNRELATED individual who was using stolen credit cards. We were unwittingly caught in ProZ\'s attempts to stop that person. You can ask Henry Dotterer to substantiate this.

2) The reason why we want translators to take care of their own replacements was to ensure that the people to which we entrusted a language pair would not get into conflict with their substitutes.

3) After the problem with the IPs was solved, I did not repost the job because we already had plenty of applicants. The service is starting today. I will post more language pairs after I have seen how it goes.

4) If you think that the terms of a job do not suit your way of working, that\'s fine - however that does not make it a bad deal for everyone else. The translators we signed up will receive many small jobs automatically, without having to bid on hundreds of jobs before getting one. I think there is a value in this, and I suppose there is a value for the translators too.

5) Yes, 101translations.com is a brand of Adverbage Ltd. - so? The cheques come on time anyway - you can look at our Blue Board page. The company also operates other sites, specifically http://www.adverbage.com which offers writing services.

I would like it if people restrained from calling a job \"suspicious\" just because they do not like its terms. It\'s libelous and offensive. I think you should reconsider your judgement.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suspicious job posting - must be available 365/365?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »