Let us call it ProZ.com
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
sandhya
sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
German to English
+ ...
And Henry said.... May 6, 2007

... repeat after me "Prouz.com" Once again... all of you ignoramus... it is "Prouzzzzz.com".... well, I guess if Henry objected or felt offended, he would lead us ALL through this exercise at every conference or public meet of ProZians.

So let us carry forth his vision and not get stuck on silly notions of how to pronounce a name. A name is pronounced differently in different parts of the world, and the person still responds to it... just as when you say ProZed or Prouz or Prozee (w
... See more
... repeat after me "Prouz.com" Once again... all of you ignoramus... it is "Prouzzzzz.com".... well, I guess if Henry objected or felt offended, he would lead us ALL through this exercise at every conference or public meet of ProZians.

So let us carry forth his vision and not get stuck on silly notions of how to pronounce a name. A name is pronounced differently in different parts of the world, and the person still responds to it... just as when you say ProZed or Prouz or Prozee (with or without dot com), any translator instantly recognizes you mean Henry's Prouz.com

cheers
Sandhya

Niraja [/quote]

Dear Niraja,

You most certainly may. I had forgotten this poll, which amply described the great variation of prononciations.

My object though, is to suggest that we ALL adopt Henry's prononciation.
I was one of the 'ProZedians' until I realised that the creator said prouz dot com. [/quote]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:06
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes, I have given it some thought May 6, 2007

lexical wrote:If it looks to German and Austrian speakers like "Protz" it's going to be pronounced "protz", whatever the totalitarians say. Here in Spain, my colleagues all pronounce it "Proth" because that's what it looks like to them. Heaven knows how our Chinese or Malaysian colleagues pronounce it.

Exactly. That is why I ventured to suggest (Let us... I did not It must be...) that we - as members of an international community should use the name in the lingua franca of today - english - rather than our own domestic languages (in Swedish it would be [prohs punkt kom]).

If Henry had thought it vital that the name was pronounced identically everywhere in the world he would have addressed himself to the impossible task of finding a name that was neutral in pronunciation terms - but of course there isn't one.
Of course.

Enough of this paranoia - let's just celebrate the fact that the name is reaching the four corners of the planet, even if it is pronounced "splat" in Dayak.
Yes, let us celebrate it indeed. One part of my celebration is to suggest (and maybe to point out that it IMHO should be pronounced as [prouz dot com] as a natural fact.
I am not in a position to order anyone about and I am not trying to.
I like everybody else love the non-authoritarian style and non-guild type of our site and I have from the start been an enemy of too much 'must', 'should' etc.

So, pronounce it as you like. I only wanted ProZ.com to be even more known by using its original name.

I do not feel offended by not using 'prohs punkt kom', which would not be understood by many and would also not convey that it is something international and not Swedish.

Mats

[Edited at 2007-05-06 15:22]

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
Europe is different May 6, 2007

Mats Wiman wrote:

Exactly. That is why I ventured to suggest (Let us... I did not It must be...) that we - as members of an international community should use the name in the lingua franca of today - english - rather than our own domestic languages (in Swedish it would be [prohs punkt kom]).

Hi Mats,

Of course I understand your point of view, but is that not surestimating the importance of the lingua franca? Of course Henry's company is an American one, and probably most of us use English when they want to communicate with colleagues on the site.
But... am I wrong when I remember that most of us do live in Europe, where you have to switch the language every 100 km sometimes, where you have to know that Lüttich the same is as Luik or Liège if you want to arrive safely?

A couple of years ago, I tried to buy some pair of jeans in Germany (Levi's). I pronounced the name right, but the selling personal did not understand me. So I pronounced it wrong, and they knew what I needed.
I also remembered that the Daewoo spent a lot of money to explain us how this name had to be pronounced. Since then, I pronounce it so. But what about the people who did not see this message?
Isn't the most important thing that the products are bought, even if the clients pronounce the name of the company in a wrong way?

Of course we are translators, but many of us (I am one of them) do not work with English and, meeting colleagues here in Europe, will speak Spanish, Dutch, French or German to communicate. And if they spell an Internet address speaking French, German or Spanish together, they will not use "dot com" at the end, but "point com", "Punkt com", "punto com" etc.

You said:

Most of us appreciate our name being correctly spelled and pronounced.

Of course. This will again would be the ideal case. But you are lucky to be called "Mats Wiman", a name which is quite easy (maybe I am wrong) to pronounce.
But with a name like mine... Forget it. It is not that important for me, I am used to it since birth.
I do not know either how to pronounce Czech or Finnish names properly, so...

Europe is a small continent with many linguae francae, English is only the most important of them.

Have a nice evening

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
We all have our problems May 6, 2007

Saifa wrote: ... you are lucky to be called "Mats Wiman", a name which is quite easy (maybe I am wrong) to pronounce.

I can tell you a lot:
Mat Wyman, Max Wyman, Mathew (which is ethymologically NOT the origin of Mats - It's Mathias) Wyman and Maits Wyman (the 'a' like in 'hat')
Few know that W is pronounce like English v in Swedish and that my 'a' is pronounced like in 'but'

One always appreciates the correct prononciation:

[mats veeman]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I can only but agree on this May 6, 2007

Mats Wiman wrote:...
One always appreciates the correct prononciation:
[mats veeman]

[Jershy Tschopik] or similar... I know, that's much worse that Mats name
Neveretheless, ProZ is Henrys baby and we should IMHO stick to the way he pronouces that. This would be exactly the same with children - we would also stick to pronouce their names as the parents have given them.

Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nice story May 6, 2007

Saifa wrote:
I also remembered that the Daewoo spent a lot of money to explain us how this name had to be pronounced. Since then, I pronounce it so. But what about the people who did not see this message?

But hopefully not in any way similar to ProZ, since Daewoo vanished from the market. Maybe they have spent to much money on pronouncing their name right?

Jerzy

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 07:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
The more pronunciations, the merrier ... May 10, 2007

... as befits an international business. I remember how enchanted I was when I first heard 7-UP pronounced Siete-oop in Peru. Long live diversity!

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
Daiana May 11, 2007

I now remember another story...

As I was living in Paraguay, I had as a teacher some pupils who were called "Daiana". I had never seen it before, but one of them explained me why their parents decided not to call and write them "Diana".

Lady Di was still fascinating a number of people at that time, and calling a girl "Diana" in a Spanish speaking country would automatically not have corresponded to the British pronounciation wished by the parents...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let us call it ProZ.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »