Start 2008 on the right foot-- with a great profile!
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Dec 14, 2007

Together with membership and KudoZ PRO points in your language pairs and area of expertise, a complete profile is part of a winning strategy to get the most out of your ProZ.com experience. You should think of your profile as your “shop window”, and fill it with the best you have to offer. The more complete and attractive your shop window, the more potential clients may stop to have a look at what you have to offer.

Starting in 2008, outsourcers will be able to restrict job post
... See more
Together with membership and KudoZ PRO points in your language pairs and area of expertise, a complete profile is part of a winning strategy to get the most out of your ProZ.com experience. You should think of your profile as your “shop window”, and fill it with the best you have to offer. The more complete and attractive your shop window, the more potential clients may stop to have a look at what you have to offer.

Starting in 2008, outsourcers will be able to restrict job posts and filter directory searches, both Connect! and classic, based on profile completion (profiles which have all required and encouraged fields completed).

A complete, well-rounded profile benefits both its owner and the ProZian community as well; a community that offers more to an outsourcer receives more and better jobs.

So, help strengthen our community and promote a richer ProZ.com experience for 2008. And if you start now, you can win some free prizes too.

A draw will be held in early January 2008, from among all users (members or not) who by December 28th, 2007 have completed all 10 required fields and all 7 encouraged fields in their profiles. Please note that in many of these fields, you may state your willingness of not entering the data at this time.

Three winners will be chosen.

• The first one will receive:

• Both the second and third winners will get:
    • Six months of ProZ.com membership
    • A copy of Oleg's book.

Want to know if you are already in conditions to participate in the draw? Try moving the cursor over your name at the top of the page (if you are using the old site design, this information is at the top left of the screen). If there is a green check next to “Your profile”, you're already in the running. If not, just click there to be taken to your profile updater and get started building the best possible profile.

Remember to put your shop window together with care, and put a great profile to work for you. If you need any help in doing this, feel free to ask for help by submitting a support request.

Best regards,
    Enrique ▲ Collapse

•  
    Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Encouraged fields Dec 17, 2007

Your profile has seven encouraged fields that are important to help you get more out of ProZ.com:

About me

Completing your “About me” section will make your profile more professional-looking, give extra information about you, the services you offer and your experience. A good “About me” can also increase your visibility and visits to your profile from web searches.

Keywords

Carefully chosen keywords are “the key�
    ... See more
    Your profile has seven encouraged fields that are important to help you get more out of ProZ.com:

About me

Completing your “About me” section will make your profile more professional-looking, give extra information about you, the services you offer and your experience. A good “About me” can also increase your visibility and visits to your profile from web searches.

Keywords

Carefully chosen keywords are “the key” to drawing traffic from the web and search engines to your profile. You should enter words or phrases which describe your services and specialties. You may also want to enter you keywords in the languages in which you work.

Portfolio/Sample translations

Your portfolio allows you to show sample translations to demonstrate your skills in your language pairs and fields of expertise. Do you specialize in medical translations? Why not showcase your abilities in this area through your portfolio?

You don't need to post a real-life translation, just a source text and a translation done by you, of any short text you select, from any source.

Read more about this feature here.

Project history

Your Project History gives you the chance to show short descriptions of projects you are proud of, with the option of receiving and displaying feedback from the outsourcer. This is an excellent feature for emphasizing your versatility or your specialization through projects that are representative of your experience. For more information please check the corresponding FAQs.

Willingness to Work Again (WWA)

WWA entries are a means of collecting and displaying outsourcers' Willingness to Work Again with you. They are great references that an outsourcer may consider when viewing your profile. Outsourcers may also choose to perform directory searches for profiles which show their WWA and have at least one entry. In these searches, you will not appear in the freelancer directory results.

To show your WWA, make sure you have checked the “Show WWA” box at the top right of your profile.

To start getting WWA entries from outsourcers you have worked with, just click on the “Request entries” link at the top right of your profile and enter an outsourcer you have worked for.

CV/Resume

You can upload your CV/Resume or indicate that you decline to do so. In this case you can display a message in your profile: there is a default message, "CV will be submitted upon request", but you can replace it with any other text you wish.

Time zone

In the current global environment, it is important for your clients or potential clients to know your local time, in order to better communicate with you. The “local time" field allows this, and is very easy to complete. It is also a detail that contributes to a healthy, well-rounded and professional profile.
    Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    More on project history Dec 19, 2007

This post presents the first 8 FAQs related to Project history. For more information you can check the related FAQ page.

1. What is the ProZ.com Project History(SM)?

The ProZ.com Project History(SM) system provides translators and interpreters with a convenient means of keeping a record of projects done, by language, field and other characteristics. Use it to organize your records, keep track of payments, etc.
    ... See more
    This post presents the first 8 FAQs related to Project history. For more information you can check the related FAQ page.

1. What is the ProZ.com Project History(SM)?

The ProZ.com Project History(SM) system provides translators and interpreters with a convenient means of keeping a record of projects done, by language, field and other characteristics. Use it to organize your records, keep track of payments, etc.

Additionally, the Project History(SM) system allows users to display general details of select projects in their profile pages, in order to communicate to potential clients and collaborators the nature of their past experience. With the clients' permission, client names and feedback can also be shown.

When an outsourcer searches the ProZ.com directory for a translator or interpreter, the number of corroborating projects--in the field and pair--will be shown.

It is also possible to keep track of, and optionally display, the names of ProZ.com colleagues who have worked with you on a project.

2. Who can use the Project History(SM) system?

All site users are allowed full use of the Project History(SM) functionality.

3. What type of projects can be listed?

Use the Project History(SM) system to keep track of translation, interpreting, editing, proofreading projects that you have completed personally.

4. Can I list projects obtained from clients outside of ProZ.com?

Yes, you can list any project, regardless of how you met the client, and regardless of whether or not the client is registered with ProZ.com.

5. I/my company managed a project. Should I list that?

No--you should not list projects which you or your company has managed. The Project History(SM) system is intended for translators, interpreters, editors and proofreaders to keep track of work they have completed personally.

6. Is my Project History(SM) private?

Yes--by default only you see the information that you enter into your project history.

7. I see other users' project histories. Why is that?

It is possible to display general details of select projects from your project history, if you wish to. An overview of projects you have opted to show will appear in your profile page, under a tab marked "Project History". Displaying projects representative of your areas of expertise may be an effective means of marketing your services.

8. I notice that client names are sometimes shown in other users' project histories. What determines whether or not a clients' name is shown?

The client's name is only shown if both parties agree to display it publicly.

When you enter a project into your project history, you are asked whether or not you prefer that the client's name be shown. If you prefer to display the client's name, an email is automatically sent to the client asking for the client's permission. Once that permission is received, the client's name becomes visible.
    Collapse

Muhammad Youssry
    Muhammad Youssry
    Egypt
    Local time: 22:37
    Arabic to English
    + ...
    Great tool! Dec 20, 2007

I LIKED THIS TOOL VERY MUCH AND I SEE THAT PROZ IS GETTING BETTER OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I HOPE THAT HELPS US PROFESSIONALLY AS DESCRIBED SO AS TO GUARANTEE OUR RIGHTS AND INSURE ALL POSSIBILITIES STRAIGHT AHEAD.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-20 18:07]

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Project history: questions, answers and examples Dec 20, 2007

• Q: Can I include projects that I did not get through ProZ.com?
  • A: Yes, you can include any project done by you, no matter where you got the assignment.

• Q: Should I include only big projects?
  • A: No. Big projects are relevant, but describing smaller projects in narrowly defined fields may help show your expertise.

• Q: How can I enter projects if all my work is confidential?
  • A: You only nee... See more
  • Q: Can I include projects that I did not get through ProZ.com?
  • A: Yes, you can include any project done by you, no matter where you got the assignment.

• Q: Should I include only big projects?
  • A: No. Big projects are relevant, but describing smaller projects in narrowly defined fields may help show your expertise.

• Q: How can I enter projects if all my work is confidential?
  • A: You only need to enter as much information as you feel comfortable with. In most cases, a general description should be enough to convey the desired information without compromising confidentiality. You can find below a sample Project history with two projects described in general terms. No client or brand names are mentioned, no specific details provided, and yet a potential client can get the idea of the kind of projects you can deal with.

• Q: I don't want to ask my client for corroboration, what can I do?
  • A: Again, the tool is for you to use according to your needs and preferences. You can include information about partners and clients, and even ask for their corroboration, or exclude this information. You can even keep your projects hidden from view and use the feature only for your internal, administrative purposes.

• Q: Could I get a reminder when the payment of my projects is due?
  • A: Great idea! We will include this feature so that users who enter the agreed-upon payment date for their projects will get a reminder when the payment deadline arrives. Other administrative features will be added based on the valuable input of our members.

• Q: I am an interpreter, I seldom (or never) do translations. Project history does not apply to me. How can I complete my profile?
  • A: If you go to the "Add project" page, you'll see that one of the options in the drop-down box is for Interpretations (even though translation is the default), so you could enter a project based on an interpretation job you have done as well, since this will also give potential clients a better idea of the type of work you do. ▲ Collapse

•  
    Catherine GUILLIAUMET
    Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
    English to French
    + ...
    In memoriam
    About Profile : Portfolio AND Project history Dec 21, 2007

Dear all,
    Could you be so kind to stop asking me to extend my profile with the development of both the items indicated in the Header. I am aware that you do only your job, but for me, insisting that way is very disturbing. I work only in the Clinical Medicine and Pharmacology and Genetics domains, particularly with the WHO, the Atlanta's CDC and the Pharmaceutical Industry. Be sure that my clients do not want even a coma from their docs appear on a public site !! So, because I deal with m
    ... See more
    Dear all,
    Could you be so kind to stop asking me to extend my profile with the development of both the items indicated in the Header. I am aware that you do only your job, but for me, insisting that way is very disturbing. I work only in the Clinical Medicine and Pharmacology and Genetics domains, particularly with the WHO, the Atlanta's CDC and the Pharmaceutical Industry. Be sure that my clients do not want even a coma from their docs appear on a public site !! So, because I deal with more "hot" and protected documents than most of my colleagues, must I be punished and appear in the lower raws of the "good translators" ? This is insane.
    However, have a Merry Christmas
    Catherine Guilliaumet
    Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Confidentiality and opt-out of reminders Dec 21, 2007

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

Dear all,
    Could you be so kind to stop asking me to extend my profile with the development of both the items indicated in the Header. I am aware that you do only your job, but for me, insisting that way is very disturbing. I work only in the Clinical Medicine and Pharmacology and Genetics domains, particularly with the WHO, the Atlanta's CDC and the Pharmaceutical Industry. Be sure that my clients do not want even a coma from their docs appear on a public site !! So, because I deal with more "hot" and protected documents than most of my colleagues, must I be punished and appear in the lower raws of the "good translators" ? This is insane.
    However, have a Merry Christmas
    Catherine Guilliaumet

Dear Catherine,

We fully agree on the importance of confidentiality. If you look at the Project History examples above you will see that you can convey an idea of what you do without giving away any information about customers.

The same applies to the Portfolio, where you could pick any freely available text within your fields of expertise and translate it just to show your skills.

Please note that your profile updater includes a feature to opt-out of "update your profile" reminders. If you tick that box you will not receive reminders or invitations to complete your profile. I have just selected this option for you.

My very best wishes to you!
    Enrique

Saleh Ayyub
    Saleh Ayyub  Identity Verified
    New Zealand
    Local time: 08:37
    Arabic to English
    + ...
    That is great support from Proz Dec 25, 2007

Thanks for your continuity in support and improvement of the services.

Wish you all the best,

Saleh Ayyub

Katia Gygax
    Katia Gygax  Identity Verified
    French to Russian
    + ...
    I adhere to this Dec 28, 2007

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:
    So, because I deal with more "hot" and protected documents than most of my colleagues, must I be punished and appear in the lower raws of the "good translators" ? This is insane.

I believe that this was key in Catherine's message. And this is true. A lot of good translators work with sensitive information and this should not mean anythng like "lower raw" of "good translators" community.

Ali Bayraktar
    Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
    Türkiye
    Member (2007)
    English to Turkish
    + ...
    Selection Process Jan 1, 2008

Dear Enrique,

Could you please, provide us more details of the selection process.

Will there be a committee who would select the best profiles?

Or a lottery system, i.e. will be selected automatically among the suitable profiles?

Best regards & Happy New Years!

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    A lottery system Jan 2, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

Dear Enrique,

Could you please, provide us more details of the selection process.

Will there be a committee who would select the best profiles?

Or a lottery system, i.e. will be selected automatically among the suitable profiles?

Best regards & Happy New Years!

Hi Ali,

A lottery system will select from among the suitable profiles.

Best regards,
    Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    And the winners are... Jan 2, 2008

• Kristel Kiesel, from Ohio, United States, winner of the first prize, will receive:
  • Kristel Kiesel, from Ohio, United States, winner of the first prize, will receive:

• Ioana Bostan, from Bacau, Romania, winner of the second prize, will get:
    • A copy of Oleg's book.

• Aivars , from Buenos Aires, Argentina, winner of the third prize, will get:
    • A copy of Oleg's book.

Congratulations to the winners and to those who invested the time to create great profiles!

Best regards,
    Enrique ▲ Collapse

•  

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Start 2008 on the right foot-- with a great profile!

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »