How hard has September 11th hit the translation market??
Thread poster: Alison kennedy (X)

Alison kennedy (X)
Local time: 12:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2001

Well, I\'m sitting at my computer and I am about to do the monthly accounts. The problem is that December workwise has been a disaster.

I work out of Italy and have seen a significant fall in the amount of work available since September.

I would be interested in seeing whether this is the case of other freelance translators both in Italy and in other markets.
[addsig]

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The same here Dec 30, 2001

Hi Alison,

I am doing exactly the same. After a couple of very busy months (October and November), December has been extremely slow, and I am going to make monthly invoices for about 300 USD in total!

I have no idea about what will happen next year, I personally tend to get quite depressed when work disappears...

Happy New Year,

Laura

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same experience Dec 30, 2001

My experience has been the same as Laura\'s: very busy October and November, and an empty December.

Anyway, December is always a slow month, and things usually tend to go back to normal in January.

So, Laura, don\'t get depressed. It could be worse, you could be living in Argentina! icon_smile.gif

Happy New Year,

Patricia
[addsig]

cochrum
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No work in December Dec 30, 2001

Same here (Germany)! I was quite busy in October, noticed a drop in November, no work in December. I did take a break the last two weeks, but I didn\'t even receive my usual phone calls asking if I\'m available.However, on an \"up\" note, I was informed that a large project is coming my way in January icon_smile.gif) Hope that company doesn\'t go bankrupt by next month !

Nicole

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
For Patricia Dec 30, 2001

Hello Patricia,

I liked your black humour when you say \"things could be worse, you could be living in Argentina\". Well, I live in Jerusalem (Israel), so it\'s really a hard choice, isn\'t it?

Happy New Year,

Laura

Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
More jobs have been coming my way since September 11 Dec 30, 2001

At least in my experience:

Three brand new clients with big projects, and a more steady flow from agencies I had been doing sporadic jobs for.

Perhaps it has to do with certain specializations?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-30 20:52 ]

sandra carrazzoni  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Patricia! Dec 30, 2001

Yes, Pat you\'re right! I was working pretty well till that terrible September 11th and then everything seemed to stop! AND I also live in Argentina (in the Patagonia)! So we share the same cross!!! Let\'s cry together...

Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
My wife's outsourcing in December has been 10 times lower than a year ago Dec 31, 2001

...and a good 3 times lower than the average. I wish everyone a quick turnaround in 2002!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How hard has September 11th hit the translation market??

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search