Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:17
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Same here! Mar 27, 2008

Maria Karra wrote:

Jason, the bug has apparently resurfaced. I just got an invitation but I have no idea who sent it to me. Could you please look into this?

Got another one of these, too!

M

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I got an empty one, too Mar 27, 2008

Yes, the bug has resurrected...

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reports, working on it now Mar 27, 2008

Thanks for the bug reports, everyone. We're working on a fix now. The feature has been disabled until it's working properly again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jason

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
Local time: 09:17
Empty Invitations Mar 27, 2008

First of all sorry for the inconvenience.
Today i modified the "My Network" System and it seems that i have caused this bug to re-appear.

For all of you that received this kind of invitations, it was due to this bug and now it seems to be fixed.

Again, sorry for the problems... it should be fixed now. Please, let us know if someone has any more problems

Ricardo

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I think this new feature will be very successfull in the future, but... Mar 27, 2008

Hi!
I think this new feature will be very successfull in the future, when everybody learns about it, but right now for me I won't use it.

I already know who to ask in case of doubts. I don't see any need for me to have any special list. Because if I join somebody's list, it's not given that I will ALWAYS be able to help (even if I would like to). And if I have to contact the person anyway, what's the need for such a list??

At the other hand, I don't see very much
... See more
Hi!
I think this new feature will be very successfull in the future, when everybody learns about it, but right now for me I won't use it.

I already know who to ask in case of doubts. I don't see any need for me to have any special list. Because if I join somebody's list, it's not given that I will ALWAYS be able to help (even if I would like to). And if I have to contact the person anyway, what's the need for such a list??

At the other hand, I don't see very much the importance of adding new features on PROZ.com. (There are sooooooo many already!!!) And I absolutely agree with those who say it would be much better to improve those features already given. I.e. There is a gorgeous list on terminology and glossaries. But when I receive a text to translate I usually do not have the time to check all them to see if any of the given is useful for me at the moment. Why don't work on it, instead of adding new features on a superficial level instead of making better the other ones??

Well I hope I could express myself so that you understand what I mean! ;o)) At any case I won't do anything now with the list.

Best regards,
Helena

[Edited at 2008-03-27 22:25]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
My Network is not watchable yet Mar 28, 2008

has lots of potential, and one of the ProZ.com missions is to provide tools for networking.

My problem is that the feature has been released without any real content or practical use. So, the release is very much premature, even if intended to ask for feedback. To make a parallel with making a baby, all babies can do very little when they are born, but at least they have the essential: 4 limbs and one head, complete with accessories (10 fingers and 10 toes, 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose, 1
... See more
has lots of potential, and one of the ProZ.com missions is to provide tools for networking.

My problem is that the feature has been released without any real content or practical use. So, the release is very much premature, even if intended to ask for feedback. To make a parallel with making a baby, all babies can do very little when they are born, but at least they have the essential: 4 limbs and one head, complete with accessories (10 fingers and 10 toes, 2 eyes, 2 ears, 1 nose, 1 mouth, some hair, etc...). It is not right to let out fetuses after 12 weeks of gestation...

The new Network is also somehow overlapping with the existing features Lists and Teams, both of them also still not fully developed to their potential.

I hope that all these half developed features will converge into some kind of more mature and fully featured Networking tool.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-09-12 21:57]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Just out of interest.... Jul 2, 2008

Has this feature been removed again entirely?

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
OK, so I joint the discussion quite late... Oct 4, 2008

... but I've been very busy lately, and not been looking around in Proz for this special feature, I have first to make a living...

Ok, first thing is, that I fully subscribe to what Maria states:

Maria Karra wrote:

In fact I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. At the moment I have my "network" in a notebook; something better structured is more than welcome.
Andre, out of the things you wrote, these are the ones I find the most useful:
- You have too much work and you want to see if any of your trusted friends that offer the same language pairs are available to help you with overflow.
- You are interested to see how your trusted network has reported on the blue board about a specific outsourcer.
- You would like to know the availability of your network to see if someone is available to partner on a larger project.

What I would like to see in my "Network" page is:
- The colleagues in my network listed by language pair
- the ability to sort them by specialization (I'm picturing one table per language pair, where one column shows specialization)
- their availability (maybe a thumbnail of their availability calendar)
- their contact information if provided in their profile
- Their BB entries

I am not interested in their recent forum postings or their kudoz questions, I'd like my network page to be "clean" and have only the necessary information.

I'd like to add the following:

- the possibility to select all or only specific colleagues (either individually, or meeting specific criteria) from the network for a specific task (say, ask them to participate in a specific job). A filter would be nice.
- the possibility to add a "tag" of my own, so as to have additional filter criteria.
- when somebody sends you an e-mail asking you to join his network, see directly (in the mail) his qualification or a direct link to his profile (instead of having to go to the network tab, and look it up there).

Regarding the acceptation e-mail, I have in principle not a problem to acknowledge, *provided* there is a restriction:

My acceptance allows him to include me in his network, but does *NOT* mean that I add him to mine. This is because I am quite picky about whom I really trust, as I have a reputation to maintain. I will not object if a translator thinks I am sufficiently trustworthy/qualified to put me in his network, but the opposite might not be necessarily true. And *if* I have not "blessed" that particular person for my own network, I want to see him ghosted, in red, or whatever, so that I can filter him out when I send something to own network.

Example: I just got an invitation to join a network, specialized in aerospace matters. When I looked at the profile of the person who invites me, he just joined Proz, and claims only one year of experience. OK, as I have been around for quite a time, and can boast 30+ years of experience in that particular field, I might be trustworthy for him. But I certainly cannot say that for that person, until I have been able to see the quality of his work.

Zhao Haichao
Zhao Haichao
China
Local time: 20:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am very glad to meet with you here Nov 9, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi everyone,

We're looking for feedback on some new social networking features that we're starting to add to the site. The purpose of these features is to let you maintain a list of your trusted friends and colleagues at ProZ.com, for use with various collaboration tools that will be developed.

You will notice a new box on the right side of the home page labeled "My Network". It allows you to quickly see the recent forum posts, KudoZ questions, and articles written by those in your network. We have many additional features planned to allow you easy collaboration and communication with your colleagues.

Click here to get started building your network.

Please try it out and let us know what you think. We'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Jason

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bug in "new posts"? Nov 12, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

... labeled "My Network". It allows you to quickly see the recent forum posts, KudoZ questions, and articles written by those in your network. ...
Jason

Hi Jason,

I just added a colleague in My Network and I can see "Added 7 posts in the forums". That`s supposed to be 7 posts by this colleague, isn`t it?

However, when I click on it, it takes my to MY recent posts, which are more than 7.

Is it a glitch?

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
My Network feature not currently active Nov 14, 2008

Hi Walter,

Thanks for writing. The "my network" feature is not currently being developed. The basic concept behind "my network" seems good, and it will be reworked and consolidated with related features in the future. The feedback given on this and related features will be helpful in that effort.

Thanks,

Jason

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK Nov 14, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

The "my network" feature is not currently being developed.

Thanks for your reply, Jason.

The "add to my network" signs in everybody`s profile still exists. Shall we disregard it?

william taylor
william taylor  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
Great idea! But wht do youdo with it? Dec 27, 2008

I think its a great idea, but its' functionality is still a mystery to me. I invited two translators who work in my field to join My Network and they have. Now what do we do?

louu
louu
Romania
German to English
+ ...
feat. Jan 23, 2010

A very useful feature! Keep the good work up!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jan 23, 2010

william taylor wrote:

I think its a great idea, but its functionality is still a mystery to me. I invited two translators who work in my field to join My Network and they have. Now what do we do?

Exchange malicious gossip without being censored by ProZ moderators?

Joking apart, it sounds like an excellent idea.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking feedback on new ProZ.com social networking feature "My Network"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »