Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): PDF files: Getting Blood From a Stone

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com virtual conferences » "Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): PDF files: Getting Blood From a Stone".
You can see the ProZ.com virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

zlatche
zlatche
Local time: 17:45
Bulgarian to English
is there a way to prevent converted PDF files from moving around Sep 23, 2010

I am looking forward to this lecture - lately only PDF files have been coming in for translation, and certainly translating PDF invoices is a great nuisance - the sections constantly move around and it takes much longer to arrange the page than translate it. What is the best approach? I use Abby Fine Reader to convert, but I hate the resulting "shifting sands".

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
Swedish to English
+ ...
No easy way Sep 23, 2010

In a nutshell -- no easy way. There is a trade-off: some software gives you the option to select between an accurate reproduction of the PDF file, all the way down to a plain text file (eg Solid Documents s/w). The trouble is, the accurate version puts text into boxes, and that causes problems when using a CAT tool. In my presentation, there is an illustration of what happens in Trados when you have an accurate reproduction. Basically, a mess.

It also depends on how well the original
... See more
In a nutshell -- no easy way. There is a trade-off: some software gives you the option to select between an accurate reproduction of the PDF file, all the way down to a plain text file (eg Solid Documents s/w). The trouble is, the accurate version puts text into boxes, and that causes problems when using a CAT tool. In my presentation, there is an illustration of what happens in Trados when you have an accurate reproduction. Basically, a mess.

It also depends on how well the original file was edited. For example, if the original Word document uses tabs and spaces to put text into columns ( instead of using tables), the columns are liable to slide all over the place.

This is why it may be worth your while to have several programs capable of converting the PDF file. That raises the chances of getting a usable conversion. But I think you will always find yourself to some extent on shifting sounds.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): PDF files: Getting Blood From a Stone

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »