2009 virtual conference: Scheduled networking times and preparation details
Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Sep 27, 2009

ProZ.com has arranged for dedicated language specific forums in the virtual conference environment and has scheduled networking times by native language. Scheduled networking times, and more information including FAQ's, details on how to upload a photo, how to link virtual conference profile back to ProZ.com profile, upload CV and more can be found at http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/

Thank you

Drew

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-03 15:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
German to English
+ ...
Forums and colleagues Sep 28, 2009

In the language forums, I find that my two languages are split into two separate groups. Each group contains one language that I speak and three languages that I don't speak. Will the four languages per language forum be split into separate threads, compartments or whatever, or will the German discussion, for example, be mixed randomly with messages in Russian, Bulgarian and Dutch?

How long are the "scheduled networking times"? I note that each group of languages has two starting times given (if they are in fact starting times), but no indication of the duration.

The list of attendees is also unclear to me. It shows 20 people per page, and for my native language (English) there are over 900 people, which means I would have to go through 45-50 pages if I wanted to give the list a quick glimpse, plus a further 15-20 pages for my non-native but active language (German). And in each case, the list of names gives me no indication of other languages, subject areas covered etc.

Is there any facility for contact within language pairs? As far as I can see, there is no point of contact between the two languages I speak.

I realise that the amount of information involved is enormous (over 5000 participants, and about 100 native languages), but it is difficult to see how the normal user can avoid having to network on a "hit and miss" basis.

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Re-checking personal data in conference registration Sep 28, 2009

Hi Drew,

I just tried to re-check the personal data in my registered profile for the conference, but apparently I cannot log in till Wednesday.

Is there any other procedure to check this?

I just want to double-check my photo format and some of the other personal data registered.

Regards,

Ivette

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Forums/networking & checking registration data Sep 28, 2009

Hi Victor. We will have 16 different language specific forums, the system could not include every language but will have separate forums for 16 languages and one for all others. The networking times are listed twice to give individuals opportunity to meet if they miss the first meeting.

Independent of the networking time in the networking lounge, all users will be able to search other registrants by country, native or source language, & specialty field. Attendees will be able to search for other users in a variety of means including a "match" feature, category, and advanced search functions. Attendees can then send messages, initiative one on one or group chats, and also ask to exchange business cards (join network) throughout the event regardless of networking time, and regardless of whether the other registered individual is logged in and attending the event at that moment.

Unfortunately registration data, settings and photos cannot be "checked" prior to the start of the event. But immediately upon entering the environment attendees can click on the photo/settings tab on the main navigation bar and adjust all of their registration data and settings.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Looking forward to "seeing" everyone on Wednesday.

Drew

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Drew Sep 28, 2009

Thanks for the outline of the extra search and networking options on the day. That makes things a bit clearer. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanx, too Sep 28, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Unfortunately registration data, settings and photos cannot be "checked" prior to the start of the event. But immediately upon entering the environment attendees can click on the photo/settings tab on the main navigation bar and adjust all of their registration data and settings.

Got it, thanx.

"See" you on Wednesday,

Ivette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2009 virtual conference: Scheduled networking times and preparation details

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search