Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
2009 virtual conference: User names - pseudonyms or real names?
Thread poster: British Diana

British Diana
Germany
Local time: 09:35
German to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

I am a bit confused as I am not much of an expert on these things, but I was surprised to be addressed on the conference with my full real name (albeit only the surname). Why wasn't my profile name or whatever it's called (DiM) used?

On forums I usually sign with my first name and I don't really want my surname to be used at all.

Diana

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-03 16:06 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Photo/Settings Oct 2, 2009

There were some settings under Photo/Settings. User profile name should be checked for displaying your profile name at ProZ.com

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Dim? Oct 2, 2009

This is kindly meant. Is it actually a good idea to call yourself "Dim"? Maybe you should come up with a more appealing pseudonym ??
Best wishes,
Jenny

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DiM does not mean dim, although it might sound like it Oct 2, 2009

I take your point, Jenny, but actually I seem to remember that the user name "Diana" was already taken when I joined. So I had to use something else. DiM is my "Kürzel" when I write for the local paper here in Germany, it is basically the beginning of Diana plus the first letter of my surname. And in South Germany it sounds like "team".

As I was used to using it, I just kept it. I agree it's a bit misleading (I hope!).

I have noticed that the real professionals here use their full names most of the time.
Perhaps I will lose my anxiousness in time.

Diana

xxxAguas de Mar
Real professional with a pseudonym Oct 3, 2009

DIM wrote:

I have noticed that the real professionals here use their full names most of the time.
Perhaps I will lose my anxiousness in time.

Diana

Hi Diana,
I consider myself a real professional, and I now use a pseudonym to participate in Proz.
I used to post with my full name but for personal reasons related to privacy concerns I decided to stop using it. I thought I was probably a bit paranoid, until the recent intrusion of a hacker who copied Proz members database almost entirely. I was then really happy my real data were not there. And the more I read about threats to privacy in all sorts of Internet venues, the more convinced I am that using a pseudonym is a good choice.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Diamond? Oct 3, 2009

Dear Diana,
I understand your explanation of how your Kürzel came about but, as you know, in English "dim" is an unflattering thing to say about someone - the opposite of bright and clever. Languages are so full of traps, aren't they?
An idea has just occurred to me. What about calling yourself "Diamond" -
or "Dia-Mond"? It's also partly made up of your real name and suggests someone bright, sparkling, valuable and far from "dim"! Just a thought - it's none of my business, of course.
Best wishes,
Jenny

P.S. There's no charge for this service ...

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
None of my business, but... Oct 3, 2009

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Dear Diana,
I understand your explanation of how your Kürzel came about but, as you know, in English "dim" is an unflattering thing to say about someone - the opposite of bright and clever. Languages are so full of traps, aren't they?
An idea has just occurred to me. What about calling yourself "Diamond" -
or "Dia-Mond"? It's also partly made up of your real name and suggests someone bright, sparkling, valuable and far from "dim"! Just a thought - it's none of my business, of course.
Best wishes,
Jenny

P.S. There's no charge for this service ...

I second your idea, Jenny, if we can convince Diana.

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
overwhelmed - but why did they use our real names at the conference? Oct 3, 2009

Well, Jenny and Astrid,

Thank you very much for your suggestion of Diamond and the seconding.

I'm overwhelmed by your solicitousness, I really am, and it goes without saying that I will take you up on it (if I manage, technically).

To get back to my original query:

I'm afraid I don't understand what Selcuk means with his reference to photo/settings. As far as I remember, when I registered for the conference I was already logged in (of course) and was only asked for a new photo, which was apparently needed for the conference. In fact I already had a photo on my profile, but never mind, I don't think that's important.

What is important is this: I don't remember being asked when registering anything about how I would like to be addressed at the conference.

So : How come at the conference everybody was addressed by their real surnames and elsewhere on the site the user names are used? This is still worrying me, especially as attendees had to agree to be sent advertising by the sponsers!What happened to the privacy concerns?

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
I was surprised, too ... Oct 4, 2009

to see that my real name was being used. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find a function to change that, so I would appreciate it if this could be changed for the next conference.

OT: Speaking of "Kürzel" - an agency I work for regularly uses "Kürzel" for their translators' names on their POs. I was not too delighted to read mine: KLO. (For those who don't understand German: it means "loo" in English.) Lovely, isn't it?

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An aside on KLO or perhaps B.O.? Oct 4, 2009

Dear inkweaver,

This is way off the point, but I am going to pose my original question to a member of the support staff now, as we users don't seem to be able to get to the bottom of it. So this is just an irrelevant and irreverent aside.

Your KLO (you do know that this comes from the English W.C.= water CLOset ?) story reminds me of how I mailed the British author of a Business English textbook for some info on his book "Business Options". I said that B.O. had rather unfortunate connotations for me and he answered that he had cracked a joke on this at an international conference. The joke was met with stony silence because unfortunately his audience was made up of Hungarians who couldn't understand what he was getting at.
For any Hungarian (or other NNS lurkers) reading this : B.O. is the abbreviation for Body Odour (=Körpergeruch).

Diana

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Abbreviations Oct 4, 2009

inkweaver wrote:

to see that my real name was being used. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find a function to change that, so I would appreciate it if this could be changed for the next conference.

OT: Speaking of "Kürzel" - an agency I work for regularly uses "Kürzel" for their translators' names on their POs. I was not too delighted to read mine: KLO. (For those who don't understand German: it means "loo" in English.) Lovely, isn't it?

Oh my goodness - I remember some olden days, when I made sure that name abbreviations would be acceptable to all, especially to the person in question...

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Names shown were entered by attendees Oct 5, 2009

Hello all,

I apologize for the delay in my reply to this post. As explained to DIM earlier, note that the names shown during the conference were the names entered in the registration form by the attendees themselves. Those who wished to network and participate in the conference using handles or pseudonyms had the option to register those instead of their real names in the "first/last name" section.

In any case, future conferences may give both options separately, "real name" and "pseudonym", to avoid any misunderstanding.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for clarification of original query Oct 5, 2009

@ Lucia,
Thanks for clearing this up for me and a couple of others. I'm sure now that it was my own fault - obviously I didn't take enough care when filling in the registration form. I probably put in my real name in at some stage and overlooked the bit where I should have insisted on my pseudonym being used during the virtual conference.

By the way, on the Networking forum I visited there briefly some people said that they found it funny and even quaint to be suddenly addressed by their surnames, in view of the wisdespread use of only first names in the anglosaxon culture.
You can't please 'em all, can you!

@ all,
Well, this thread has been quite enlightening all the same, so thanks to everyone for contributing. Following Jenny's free piece of advice I am now going to try and change from DiM to Diamond (bright, sparkling, valuable - but also cold, hard and inflexible !).
Just have to make sure I don't lose my first four KudoZ points in the process. I confess to being rather proud of these, as I am an eternal student and nowhere near having any kind of professional status.

Diana

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Diamond is already registered Oct 5, 2009

P.S. A Diamond is already registered as is a Diana. Now trying "British Diana". We'll see.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
No longer so dim Oct 5, 2009

I see you've brightened up - a nice name change

BD scripsit:
I am an eternal student and nowhere near having any kind of professional status.

And therefore you must never, never, never dare to charge professional rates. Especially not for interesting or worthwhile projects. What would clients think?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2009 virtual conference: User names - pseudonyms or real names?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search