Discussion for Conférence Virtuelle Française ProZ.com session (2012): Se lancer avec XTM en 10 minutes

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for Conférence Virtuelle Française ProZ.com session (2012): Se lancer avec XTM en 10 minutes ".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

Anne-Charlotte PERRIGAUD
Anne-Charlotte PERRIGAUD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:11
English to French
+ ...
Ce sont vos contributions qui feront la réussite de cette session :-) Jul 18, 2012

Bonjour,

Merci de poser vos questions, d'apporter vos contributions et commentaire et/ou de partager avec les autres participants des anecdotes dans ce fil. Je vous répondrai demain...

Anne-Charlotte

Anne-Charlotte PERRIGAUD
France
English to French
+ ...
Is XTM a part of Trados 2009? Jul 19, 2012

Hello and thank you for your interest in my session on XTM.

We have a question by Ségolène Neilson : Is XTM a part of Trados 2009?

Dear Ségolène,

It is true that SDL and Trados have a huge importance on the CAT tools market.
Most beginners and translators who are starting their CAT tool adventure have their first experiences with one of those product.

XTM is not a software as such. It is web based. All you need is a browser and you translate
... See more
Hello and thank you for your interest in my session on XTM.

We have a question by Ségolène Neilson : Is XTM a part of Trados 2009?

Dear Ségolène,

It is true that SDL and Trados have a huge importance on the CAT tools market.
Most beginners and translators who are starting their CAT tool adventure have their first experiences with one of those product.

XTM is not a software as such. It is web based. All you need is a browser and you translate directly in your Internet browser. The text is saved on the Cloud.

All the participants on the project can access to what you're doing while you're typing. And The TMs are updated in real time.

To make a long story short, I would say XTM is a pay as you go service; which you can use from any computer as long as you have an Internet browser. What's new is the fact that there is no need to link your licence to one PC. Your data is stored on the cloud so you can crash you computer too

To sum up, this is not a desktop product. It is an online service. It is actually an to other available CAT tools, ie software products.

Is this answering your question?

Please feel free to post your feedback here
Collapse

Anne-Charlotte PERRIGAUD
France
English to French
+ ...
Are you doing a demonstration which can be easily understood by beginners? Jul 19, 2012

Here is Ségolène's second question; and an interesting question too...

Are you doing a demonstration which can be easily understood by beginners?

I'll give a reply for the first half of your question: 'are you doing a demonstration?'

As you have seen, this presentation was giving an overview of the possibilities offered by this tool, and it contained many screenshots because pictures are sometimes more explanatory than long speeches ...
See more
Here is Ségolène's second question; and an interesting question too...

Are you doing a demonstration which can be easily understood by beginners?

I'll give a reply for the first half of your question: 'are you doing a demonstration?'

As you have seen, this presentation was giving an overview of the possibilities offered by this tool, and it contained many screenshots because pictures are sometimes more explanatory than long speeches

This was not a full workshop on how to use XTM because the format of the virtual conference did not allow this.

However, the information given in the presentation should be enough to get you started with the basic features.

I should think most of the attendees should be able to start using XTM after watching the video.

Now the second half of your question: 'easily understood by beginners'?

The purpose of the presentation was to introduce newbies to the use of XTM whether they've been using CAT tools before or not.

I would need feedback by attendees on this precise question? Please feel free to drop a line here
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for Conférence Virtuelle Française ProZ.com session (2012): Se lancer avec XTM en 10 minutes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »